PDA

View Full Version : Who got the most right?

robeiae
10-05-2006, 11:46 PM
One choice per person, public poll.

Think hard.

Shadow_Ferret
10-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Immanuel Kant was a real piss-ant who was very rarely stable.
Heideggar, Heideggar was a boozy beggar who could think you under the table.
David Hume could out-consume Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel.
And Whittgenstein was a beery swine who was just as sloshed as Schlegel.
There's nothing Nieizsche couldn't teach 'ya 'bout the raising of the wrist.
Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed.
John Stewart Mill, of his own free will, after half a pint of shanty was particularly ill.
Plato, they say, could stick it away, half a crate of whiskey every day!
Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle,
And Hobbes was fond of his Dram.
And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart:
"I drink, therefore I am."
Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed;
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed.

Papa'sLiver
10-05-2006, 11:59 PM
My write in answer is Kermit The Frog.

robeiae
10-06-2006, 12:00 AM
I'm sorry, but any more references to Descartes and you will be shaved from ear to tail, forced into a tennis ball can, and given to Perks as a birthday present.

Shadow_Ferret
10-06-2006, 12:07 AM
To Perks?

*gulp*

I think...

...I'll quit while I'm ahead.

(By the way, the most what right?)

Stew21
10-06-2006, 12:09 AM
My write in answer is Kermit The Frog.

you subscribe to the philosophical principle that it isn't easy being green?

Opty
10-06-2006, 01:13 AM
What, no William James or even Ken Wilber?

robeiae
10-06-2006, 01:15 AM
"Other"

tiny
10-06-2006, 01:16 AM
The tiger did. :D

Haggis
10-06-2006, 01:18 AM
I thought it was that geeky Morman guy. You are talking about Jeopardy winners, aren't you?

TheGaffer
10-06-2006, 01:22 AM
Orlando Bloom.

SC Harrison
10-06-2006, 02:12 AM
I'm sorry, but any more references to Descartes and you will be shaved from ear to tail, forced into a tennis ball can, and given to Perks as a birthday present.

Descartes Descartes Descartes Descartes Descartes Descartes Descartes

I'm sorry. Dangerous or not, Perks is a total hottie. I'll take me chances. ;)

Descartes

blacbird
10-06-2006, 02:13 AM
Victor Hugo.

caw.

SC Harrison
10-06-2006, 02:27 AM
If thou art pained by any external thing, it is not this that disturbs thee, but thy own judgment about it. And it is in thy power to wipe out this judgment now.

Marcus Aurelius

robeiae
10-06-2006, 02:28 AM
Descartes Descartes Descartes Descartes Descartes Descartes Descartes

I'm sorry. Dangerous or not, Perks is a total hottie. I'll take me chances. ;)

DescartesThat punishment was specifically designed for the water rat.

You will have to give Dclary a pedicure.

Papa'sLiver
10-06-2006, 02:40 AM
you subscribe to the philosophical principle that it isn't easy being green?

As one who spends most of their life drunk in the back of a bar in San Francisco, splayed over his Underwood, I would say yes, I most certainly subscribe to that principle.

dclary
10-06-2006, 03:07 AM
Hobbes. But I mean the tiger, not the man.

dclary
10-06-2006, 03:08 AM
That punishment was specifically designed for the water rat.

You will have to give Dclary a pedicure.

I and my 9 1/2 toes weep for you.

SC Harrison
10-06-2006, 04:24 AM
I and my 9 1/2 toes weep for you.

Deek, you can't just float that out there with no explanation. I'm just bored enough to be interested in the story of the half-toe.

dclary
10-06-2006, 04:50 AM
Due to an incomplete act of evolution, I have 4 1/2 toes on each foot, for an aggregate sum of 9 toes.

The additional 1/2 was a mistake. I think I may have momentarily flashed to a memory of Kim Basinger friggin herself in 9 1/2 Weeks.

And by 4 1/2 toes (if that question is next) I mean to say that I have 4 toe beginnings and 5 toe endings. The second and third toes on each foot are siamese toes, so to speak. I've heard them called "webbed" which is close, but not quite exact.

dclary
10-06-2006, 04:52 AM
Because of our joint membership in G.R.O.S.(S). I'm required to repeat the following chant.

Tigers are cool! Tigers are great!
Tiny Terror's the bestest Tiger in the State!

Tigers are awesome! Tigers are the best of us!
Tiny Terror's the Tiger we celebrate at Festivus!

SC Harrison
10-06-2006, 05:27 AM
And by 4 1/2 toes (if that question is next) I mean to say that I have 4 toe beginnings and 5 toe endings. The second and third toes on each foot are siamese toes, so to speak. I've heard them called "webbed" which is close, but not quite exact.

That's actually pretty cool. So...can you more easily pick up pencils off the floor, hold a lit cigarette between them, or other cool stuff?

I have all ten of the recommended toes, but (Steve looks down) they all look weird. Both my pinky toes are in pretty bad shape, thanks to countless impacts with door cases, corners, furniture legs, etc. The number two toes are both slightly longer than the big toe, as if they're trying to prove something. Without even touching them, I can make them arch up and cross over on top of the big...CRAMP! Er...I gotta go!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-06-2006, 05:46 AM
How come my name's not on the list?

And where's Orland-- ::slap::

WerenCole
10-06-2006, 06:05 AM
Martin Heidegger

My favorite on the list is Nietzsche, but he was a bit off in a couple of ways.

Mill was perhaps the smartest man in the history of the world (really, there are studies on this). I mean. . . he just makes a lot of sense.

maestrowork
10-06-2006, 06:09 AM
Hobbes of course. Calvin and him are the best!!!

kristie911
10-06-2006, 07:54 AM
Orlando Bloom.

I second that...or third it actually.

Bravo
10-06-2006, 08:30 AM
nietzsche.

Opty
10-06-2006, 08:41 AM
I'm surprised that dclary went with Nietzsche rather than Rousseau. I figured him more of a "Noble Savages" type of guy.

dclary
10-06-2006, 08:58 AM
That's actually pretty cool. So...can you more easily pick up pencils off the floor, hold a lit cigarette between them, or other cool stuff?

I have all ten of the recommended toes, but (Steve looks down) they all look weird. Both my pinky toes are in pretty bad shape, thanks to countless impacts with door cases, corners, furniture legs, etc. The number two toes are both slightly longer than the big toe, as if they're trying to prove something. Without even touching them, I can make them arch up and cross over on top of the big...CRAMP! Er...I gotta go!

I can just swim really fast, and I look like Bobby Ewing in the water, for some strange reason.

Wait, did I say Bobby Ewing? I meant Shamu.

dclary
10-06-2006, 08:59 AM
Hobbes of course. Calvin and him are the best!!!

Since two other people have already played this gag out, you are required to add to the Tigers are Great chant.

dclary
10-06-2006, 08:59 AM
nietzsche.

Gehzundheit.

dclary
10-06-2006, 09:01 AM
I'm surprised that dclary went with Nietzsche rather than Rousseau. I figured him more of a "Noble Savages" type of guy.

Sorry. I said Hobbes. But since I am a super man, I appreciate the fact that you keyed into this and freudianingly associated me with the Nietzcher.

Opty
10-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Dangit, I meant Hobbes. It's just I'd just read Bravo's post and...well...

Anyway, given Hobbes' negative views on the nature of man, and your apparent hopefulness in the direction of the country and your fellow citizens, I woulda figured you more for a Rousseau-ite, than a Hobbesian.

dclary
10-06-2006, 10:25 AM

Anyway, given Hobbes' negative views on the nature of man, and your apparent hopefulness in the direction of the country and your fellow citizens, I woulda figured you more for a Rousseau-ite, than a Hobbesian.

Again, I specifically said Hobbes the tiger, whose most intense philosophical thought was "I like tuna fish."

I couldn't even tell you what Hobbes the man liked on his sandwiches.

Liam Jackson
10-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Nietzsche, of course. How many of the other candidates are in Canton?

SC Harrison
10-06-2006, 04:42 PM
I can just swim really fast, and I look like Bobby Ewing in the water, for some strange reason.

Wait, did I say Bobby Ewing? I meant Shamu.

Wasn't he the good son on Dallas? I meant Bobby Ewing, not Shamu.

robeiae
10-06-2006, 05:38 PM

Anyway, given Hobbes' negative views on the nature of man, and your apparent hopefulness in the direction of the country and your fellow citizens, I woulda figured you more for a Rousseau-ite, than a Hobbesian.There's a big difference between a world view that allows for hope with regard to man's behavior and one that naively expects the best from man.

Hobbes was good to go with hope and strongly believed that holding oneself to a high standard of behavior, which included compassion and honour, should be the goal of the individual. You have to get past the first 150 pages of Leviathan...:D

Bravo
10-06-2006, 05:44 PM
hobbes was a bore.

let's have you post one interesting quote (or passage) from hobbess, rob.

just one to start out w/.

and then we'll bring in nietzsche. and see how your lil superman holds up.

robeiae
10-06-2006, 05:48 PM
The Roman People had a saying (Most Honoured Lord) which came from the mouth of Marcus Cato, the Censor, and expressed the prejudice against Kings which they had conceived from the memory of the Tarquins and the principles of their commonwealth; the saying was that Kings should be classed as predatory animals. But what sort of animal was the Roman People? By the agency of citizens who took the names Africanus, Asiaticus, Macedonicus, Achaicus and so on from the nations they had robbed, that people plundered nearly all the world. So the words of Pontius Telesinus are no less wise than Cato's. As he reviewed the ranks of his army in the battle against Sulla at the Colline Gate, he cried that Rome itself must be demolished and destroyed, remarking that there would never be an end to Wolves preying upon the liberty of Italy, unless the forest in which they took refuge was cut down. There are two maxims which are surely both true: Man is a God to Man, and Man is a Wolf to Man. The former is true of the relations of citizens with each other, the latter of relations between commonwealths. In justice and charity, the virtues of peace, citizens show some likeness to God. But between commonwealths, the wickedness of bad men compels the good too to have recourse, for their own protection, to the virtues of war, which are violence and fraud, i.e. to the predatory nature of beasts.--Thomas Hobbes, from "On the Citizen"

or

This considered, the kingdom of darkness… is nothing else but a confederacy of deceivers that, to obtain dominion over men in this present world, endeavour, by dark and erroneous doctrines, to extinguish in them the light.--Thomas Hobbes, from "Leviathan"

Bravo
10-06-2006, 06:09 PM
the 1st one was pretty good. the 2nd one deserved a yawn.

but here's true brilliance:

BEHOLD! I TEACH YOU THE SUPERMAN. Man is something that is to be surpassed. What have ye done to surpass man?

All beings hitherto have created something beyond themselves: and ye want
to be the ebb of that great tide, and would rather go back to the beast
than surpass man?

What is the ape to man? A laughing-stock, a thing of shame. And just the
same shall man be to the Superman: a laughing-stock, a thing of shame.

Ye have made your way from the worm to man, and much within you is still
worm. Once were ye apes, and even yet man is more of an ape than any of
the apes.

Even the wisest among you is only a disharmony and hybrid of plant and
phantom. But do I bid you become phantoms or plants?

Lo, I teach you the Superman!

The Superman is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: The Superman
SHALL BE the meaning of the earth!

I conjure you, my brethren, REMAIN TRUE TO THE EARTH, and believe not those who speak unto you of superearthly hopes! Poisoners are they, whether they know it or not.

~nietzsche - thus spake zarathustra

gotcha :)

TeddyG
10-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Oh Please...no contest
Kant wins by a zillion miles...

robeiae
10-06-2006, 06:19 PM
~nietzsche - thus spake zarathustra
Just so you know, the second quote from Hobbes was about organized religion. Now, go read it again.

As to Neitzsche, he's great for those thirsty for knowledge and experience, i.e. the young, dumb, and full of cum. But as Hannah Arendt once so casually observed:

"Nieztsche reversed Plato, forgetting that a reversed Plato is still Plato."

To whit:

It is the business of the very few to be independent; it is a privilege of the strong.--Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

TeddyG
10-06-2006, 06:22 PM
When you are young Nietzsche - fu!Ks with your head
when you middle aged he sounds like an insane maniac
when you are old his works look like the dribble of a fool

(was that too harsh?)

robeiae
10-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Oh Please...no contest
Kant wins by a zillion miles...Sure, but that's only because he's going in the opposite direction from everyone else (except for Voltaire, who's standing still).

Bravo
10-06-2006, 06:30 PM
i like arendt too.

you shouldve put her up there.

it's the writing of nietzsche, his style that just steals it for me.

i gotta run though, you can stomp your foot some more in the meantime. but hobbes is still a bore. :)

robeiae
10-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Then it would've been a walkover (with Arendt). :)

TeddyG
10-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Arendt is good..I wont say great...(Eichmann in Jerusalem) the banality of evil was required reading for us...
I think though that she does not approach in such a global aspect as say Kant does.

Arendt used an instance in History to create an understaning of mass human psyche...Kant used the formulation and perhaps evolution of man's mind to create an understanding of the metaphysical and thus relate to the world around us...

So I still think Kant should be #1

robeiae
10-06-2006, 06:42 PM
i gotta run though, you can stomp your foot some more in the meantime. but hobbes is still a bore. :)
Oh...Oh, I see. Running away, eh? You yellow bastard! Come back here and take what's coming to you...I'll bite your legs off!

robeiae
10-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Kant used the formulation and perhaps evolution of man's mind to create an understanding of the metaphysical and thus relate to the world around us...Yes, but he was wrong.

TeddyG
10-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Yes, but he was wrong.

now that made me laugh
is this the argument again about truth?
pfffffffftttttttttttttttt

robeiae
10-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Re: Kant and ethics--good stuff. The Categorical Imperative is right on the money.

Re: Kant and the nature of reality and knowledge--good stuff, thought provoking, but fundamentally wrong: Noumena, Phenomena and the categories of understanding. Kant credits Hume with waking him from his "dogmatic slumber," but then proceeds to ignore the lessons of empiricism Hume was providing.

Re: Kant and Universal Peace--nonsense.

And btw, Hume would win this contest outright, given the current list.

TeddyG
10-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Rob I am very much pleasantly surprised.... for the second time today I say it is a pleasure to know you.
Of course you are dead wrong about Hume...but then again I am always right.

robeiae
10-06-2006, 07:13 PM
Hume's place in the history of philosphy has always captivated me. Pretty much every significant thinker after him makes reference to him, though few clearly spell out why they make that reference (like Kant).

It seems to me that most are afraid to ignore him, but equally afraid to openly contradict him or disagree with him.

TeddyG
10-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Hume may have been an original "rebel" in terms of thoughts and ideas. He may have planted the seeds. All of which I am willing to grant easily.

But the seeds needed to take root. They needed to be watered and flourish. I think obviously Kant did that. I honestly believe his works changed the way humanity thought (or the thinking side of humanity) much to be honest like Aristotle and Plato were able to institute rules into logic which were then changed abandonded etc. But still remain as critical works of thought.

Kantian thought and theory on metaphysics really was a revolution. Perhaps begun by Hume (I honestly dont know) but certainly reached its apex with his Critique of Pure Reason.

Arendt's understanding of mass human psyche was and is revolutionary as well. I just dont find it as all encompassing.

As to the others, they all were giants. Right or wrong. even and dont kill me, Descartes in his own way. Despite the cliche the statement I think therefore I am has much wisdom and truth in it.

But you asked for the most awesome one. The Real Giant.
Kant to me is that. A giant who understood the nuances of the human need for reason coupled with the human need to go beyond reason.

MHO

robeiae
10-06-2006, 07:28 PM
Shall we ask Wittgenstein and see what he thinks?

TeddyG
10-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Why stop there? go straight to Kierkegaard

robeiae
10-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Well now, you've just validated my contention of Hume's superiority to Kant. Thank you for that.

dclary
10-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Well now, you've just validated my contention of Hume's superiority to Kant. Thank you for that.

I've been to Hume Lake. It's pretty.

dclary
10-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Wasn't he the good son on Dallas? I meant Bobby Ewing, not Shamu.

Yes. He later (or earlier?) played an aquaman-style fish-dude in a television series with far fewer texas oilmen and slutty dallas women.

robeiae
10-06-2006, 07:42 PM
I've been to Hume Lake. It's pretty.Look, Dave..look at the pretty stick...see it? See it? Now.....FETCH!

Kentuk
10-06-2006, 07:44 PM
Marx may not have gotten the most 'things' right
he was wrong about a great deal
but addressed fundamental issues
that the future will reveal are most critical
capitalism and market economics are going to self destruct in the next thirty years.

TeddyG
10-06-2006, 07:51 PM

Seriously, why would that validate it? It just says go back to the source. It does NOT mean the source is greater. It just means the source is the source.
No?

Dawno
10-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Orlando Bloom

*sorry - I just had to, I've been good for months*

robeiae
10-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Seriously, why would that validate it? It just says go back to the source. It does NOT mean the source is greater. It just means the source is the source.
No?But of course, Teddy. I'm just teasin. But it's good to know that you know the source. Really. :D

aadams73
10-06-2006, 08:22 PM
I'm with Dawno: Orlando Bloom. The guy is even a Buddhist, it doesn't get better than that.

robeiae
10-06-2006, 08:25 PM
I'm with Dawno: Orlando Bloom. The guy is even a Buddhist, it doesn't get better than that.Then how do you explain "Elizabethtown"?

aadams73
10-06-2006, 08:33 PM
A man's got to eat, doesn't he?

robeiae
10-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Not that badly...