PDA

View Full Version : A Serious Note On The Occasion of HOL Reaching 25000 Posts

TeddyG
10-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Yep folks believe it or not this one is serious!

There are many among AW who dismiss Ray's House of Love (known as HOL) as just a place where a bunch of nuts kid around, write much to do about nothing and otherwise waste their time. There is nothing wrong with that opinion, though perhaps maybe, it is time to try and explain the dynamics of what causes HOL to be so popular among those who populate its halls and sit in the hot tub.

HOL, if you will allow me, exists due to two people. Jenna, who has the decency and wisdom to allow it to continue and thrive, and Ray who is nuts enough to run the joint. I truly thank them and I know all those at HOL thank them as well.

But there is an inner dynamic that goes on among all the friends at HOL, something that I think is part of AW as a whole, and also shows the vibrant community that Jenna has managed to create with AW.

When I first popped in at HOL, it didn't matter beans to anyone who I was or who I wasn't. It is one of the most forgiving and accepting atmospheres that I have ever seen in a forum board or internet chat system. Sure the people that frequent the place and those that drop in from time to time are from such a diverse group of humanity that it would be impossible to qualify it with any one specific type except to say that everyone is respectful and friendly of the other. HOL kind of developed into almost an immediate chat system where anything that you can possibly imagine may and probably will appear on your screen at any given time.

But the true MAGIC of HOL - the people who do frequent and visit even from time to time - comes from the fact that in many ways we allow our friends in HOL to view our inner minds and souls as writers in ways that we are hesitant to do in our daily lives. The more we reveal the more we read of others, in such a diverse group the more we are amazed and feel ever-growing friendship for each other. We feel for each other, not just read posts.

I would venture to say that not one of the people in HOL "ignores" any other part of AW. Indeed, they are frequent posters in the Newbie and Goals/Accomplishments section. We try all over the AW board to offer advice, hold a hand, lend a shoulder and otherwise help out fellow writers. Sure there are the experts that handle things so much more professionally when it comes to "real" knowledge. And YES this is what AW is for. For the Jim McDonald's and the Victoria Strauss's and the Jenna Glatzer's and all the rest. But we do what we can, in the areas where we can.

Still there is one thing that HOL has offered me personally that no other forum on AW can offer me. It offers me, as silly as this may sound to some, a safe haven in a world often torn apart with the need to create and be creative. There are so many that no matter what they are doing or where they are going, will take the moment in the day, to pop in and say GM HOL. As silly as that may sound it is very secure knowing I am going to see that post almost every day.

The people of HOL have become friends. They have become helpers. They have grown in their craft. And yes though HOL is at many times a place of pure silliness and kidding around, it is also a place where you will find posts on writing, on deep anxiety of writing, on trying to understand each other and what we are doing as people and writers. A place where you will find the REAL person behind the avatar.

And make no mistake. You will find everything from erotica to food writing, from literary to mysteries, from horror to mainstream represented among the people who populate HOL.

Yes, I have made many friends on AW outside of HOL. But HOL is not just a silly place where people post much ado about nothing. It is a very serious place, where writers who are people, learn to be friends and learn that they are not alone.

If you havent done so, you should drop by sometime. It may not be the place for you, but it is one of the places that is worth a visit in the AW board.

Thank you Jenna for your patience and wisdom.
Thank you Ray for your all the presents you promised us.

May HOL live to see the next 25,000 posts of friendship and understanding.

(even if I am the only innocent and sane one among them!)

Haggis
10-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Teddy, are you sure it's not just about the nekkid women?

TeddyG
10-04-2006, 10:13 PM
shush Haggis..you will cause the wrath of Jenna to fall upon us

robeiae
10-04-2006, 10:15 PM
I only go there for the implied nudity--unfortunately, Ray seems to be the only one that is ever actually naked.

TeddyG
10-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Ray only tells us he is naked...so he can well....forget it...not saying

Stew21
10-04-2006, 10:19 PM
i followed Rob and Kevin there. Now they won't let me leave.

kristie911
10-04-2006, 10:26 PM
I'm just there for the men and the alcohol.

TeddyG
10-04-2006, 10:27 PM
I'm just there for the men and the alcohol.

you forgot the handcuffs

writerterri
10-04-2006, 10:27 PM
:Hug2: Teddy, so very kind. You are loved.

Between me and Teddy is a lot of hot air. edit: (between post 1 and 9):D

TeddyG
10-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Between me and Teddy is a lot of hot air.

Rob will go to town with that remark!

writerterri
10-04-2006, 10:30 PM
Rob will go to town with that remark!

Just let him! ~giggle~

Stew21
10-04-2006, 10:30 PM
Bless you, Teddy. Now and always. You get it the way I get it. Thanks!

I think we all get it that way, too. We just have to tease Teddy.

The support and friendship I've gotten in HOL is some of the most valuable I've gotten anywhere ever.

TeddyG
10-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Which reminds me Trish...
cough cough...
I seem to remember something about a deadline..short story...you know the little things

kristie911
10-04-2006, 10:33 PM
you forgot the handcuffs

So far I've had to bring my own...when Ray starts providing handcuffs, I'm moving in permanently!

TeddyG
10-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Kevin the following was written when you and NF were telling me yesterday that not everything is black....
So I dedicate it to you...:D

There are days when the words simply wont leave my brain and paint themselves upon the paper.
There are days when the only color I see is black.
There are days when no matter what inspirational lesson I try and take from life, there is simply no hope, no future, nothing worthwhile.

Those days pass in a haze without a page, a paragraph, a sentence even nary a word make their way to the paper in front of me. They seem to be a waste of time, of effort - a waste of life.

They scare me those days of nothing. They scare the living daylights out of me. When we don't move forward, when we don't accomplish, we regress. I have no time to regress anymore. I cannot afford the Stygian blackness of life's pain.

The dawn slowly comes. It creeps up, and though the black lingers it is powerless against the light. And then my mind suddenly realizes that it was during that dark period something deep inside of my inner being was at work. Sifting, thinking, judging, feeling, understanding, touching with soft tendrils the very essence of the pain. Somewhere deep inside even while my consciousness was totally centered around the nothingness of no light, while my soul delved deep in Saturnalia, something deep inside was still very much alive creating the letters which form into words the words which form into sentences the sentences into paragraphs and the paragraphs into a story.

I have learned to welcome the dark days. I no longer fear them as I once did. And yet I never remember while sitting without the benefit of a candle to light my way, that there is light at the end of this hell.

This is the only path I know to write what I want to write. It is full of fear, loneliness and the pathways of purgatory. Yet it too is part of the process of creation. Almost as if we strive to imitate God in His creation, where He created darkness and light and they existed as one until he separated them. Thus the darkness too, though feared, is part of the process of creating light. It too is part of creation.

And as writers we strive to create.

Bravo
10-04-2006, 10:36 PM
"serious" and "HOL" are two words that should never be next to each other again.

TeddyG
10-04-2006, 10:37 PM
Bravo you know YOU LOVE IT THERE....
and YOU love to be serious
so viola....

Stew21
10-04-2006, 10:40 PM
If it wasn't for HOL I never would have submitted poetry. Before HOL, even when I had approached writers here to read some of my work, I would always back out. I don't anymore. I'm actually letting someone read my work. That's a big step for me.
I consider HOL my home at AW. It's where I touch base.
(and get to hit on Rob, Kevin, Fizzy, Teddy and Ray)

robeiae
10-04-2006, 10:43 PM
It's all about pushing the right button...

Stew21
10-04-2006, 10:45 PM
in my case, the right button is usually "delete". :D

robeiae
10-04-2006, 10:47 PM
In Fizzy's, Ray's, and Teddy's case, it's "launch."

writerterri
10-04-2006, 10:56 PM
In Rob's case it's 'easy'. *grin*

sassandgroove
10-04-2006, 11:10 PM
I found a place at HOL, too. :) Bravo, it is serious fun.

Stew21
10-04-2006, 11:24 PM
In Rob's case it's 'easy'. *grin*

is that what he does? Just hits the "easy" button and suddenly I"m easy? I wondered how he did that.

TeddyG
10-04-2006, 11:26 PM
I am so tempted to comment...but I am going to be GOOD

Stew21
10-04-2006, 11:31 PM
I think I already said it Teddy! LOL

maestrowork
10-04-2006, 11:55 PM
It may have started off silly fun, but people do form incredible bonds there, and some will last a lifetime. It also helps the writers in us grow (and some other things grow, too). I can't explain it. But it's a community within a community. People may come and go, but the camaraderie is always there. It doesn't matter who you are and where you are going, the HOL is always there for you.

Thank you for everyone who's visited -- whether you've stayed or not -- thank you for making this place great.

Maryn
10-05-2006, 12:22 AM
It's funny. Not funny-funny, odd-funny.

See, I've joined up at numerous writing sites over the years, but AW is the only one which has a board for one of my genres, erotica. It pleased me that a site existed which took this writing as seriously as westerns or fantasy or any other niche readership.

So I'm all excited about both the mystery and erotica boards, and feel equally at ease in them, but House of Love is where my request for betas on my erotica novel was comfortable. I know those people well enough that I can entrust them with my work in a genre that by its very nature is intensely personal. Sure, some were not into what I wrote about, but even so, their feedback is going to turn my B work into an A. (Got my fingers crossed.)

No, it wasn't a love-fest. Every reader has found at least a few things that ain't right, and some have found a slew. Yet I never felt judged or less at ease for having allowed HOL to see this side of me. There's much kidding and innuendo, but at its heart HOL is good people of many types bonding over a love of writing.

Come on by. The jellyfish have been sieved out of the hot tub, and we keep a few swimsuits around for the modest. Stick around a week and I bet you won't bother with a suit, so long as the towel-boy or -girl is on duty...

Maryn, amused that it feels safer to show people her gory murder writing than the erotica

Stew21
10-05-2006, 12:35 AM
Heartfelt, and truly. The ones who have spoken seriously on the subject are exactly right.
It is insane in there at times, it is perverted and hysterical as imaginations run wild.
And it is also, the most accepting, forgiving, nonjudgmental, accomodating, supportive group I've ever encountered. I've gone there with writing struggles and had them pick me up and dust me off and say "go do it! do it now! Write!" or as Kevin would say "Write like your face is on fire." :)
Gentler sides of people you know in other parts of the board emerge there. Differences are set aside. We have our morning coffee and the neurotic writers' circle meets, we have our drinks handy for those who need them, and plenty of silliness to break up someone's hectic or difficult day. We bring our angst to the table. We bring our humor to the table. And we pretend to have more fun than any moral person should have. bonds form there.
I love them all. And maybe that sounds cheesy, but you know...I really do love them. They are a family away from a family (which, if you think about, that's one big dysfunctional family) but I adore them all. On the outside it might look like a lot of nonsense, if you just peek in the windows, you might be shocked at what you see, but from the inside, even when I'm saying horribly inappropriate things, I know they've got my back. I trust them. That doesn't happen in cyber world too often, at least not to me.
I'm blessed to have them.

HOLovers - I love you all!

K1P1
10-05-2006, 12:50 AM
I fully support HOL and can see that those of you who frequent it get a lot out of it, but I have to say that every time I visit, I feel like an intruder, because no one ever responds to my posts. This is the main reason why, after several visits, I haven't bothered to spend any time there. Not a complaint, just an observation from an outsider.

Cath
10-05-2006, 12:56 AM
It can feel like that sometimes, Maggie. It's not any ill intent on the part of anyone there. I think it's just that there is so much going on, and so many already well established relationships, that it's easy to miss a post or two sometimes.

TeddyG
10-05-2006, 12:57 AM
We never miss Mags in the shower...:D
(that is unless I am in the shower with Cath first!)

Cath
10-05-2006, 12:59 AM
:e2shower:

Nope, I'm here all alone. :)

Maryn
10-05-2006, 01:01 AM
Maggie, when I was new there I felt that way, too. They were talking to Ray and Kevin and Kathy and I couldn't figure out which real name went with which user name, which made it feel that much more closed to interlopers like me.

But I stuck it out (I solved Kevin first) and when I had a chance I made a mildly funny reply to something, then another one, and eventually I felt safe enough there to not feel like I had to be 'on.' Now I complain as much as I joke, and they're good with that, too, because it really is a pretty supportive bunch.

If you want, I'll be your Big Sister there. Here, have a cigarette and a Bloody Mary...

Maryn, remembering the pleasures of being corrupted by an older sister

TeddyG
10-05-2006, 01:03 AM
Now I complain as much as I joke, and they're good with that, too, because it really is a pretty supportive bunch.

And let me tell you Maryn can complain!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.smiliemania.de/smilie132/00000835.gif

samgail
10-05-2006, 01:24 AM
I would like to raise my glass to the kids over at HOL, for all their hard work and dedication to the art of the written word. I would also like to thank Ray for his truly amazing hospitality*sniff, brushes away tear* I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!
Samantha Gail AKA Sammy

samgail
10-05-2006, 01:25 AM
hey Ray, I was there and you owe Kathy a pony. She had the original 250000th post. Way to go RG!!!

maestrowork
10-05-2006, 01:31 AM
I fully support HOL and can see that those of you who frequent it get a lot out of it, but I have to say that every time I visit, I feel like an intruder, because no one ever responds to my posts. This is the main reason why, after several visits, I haven't bothered to spend any time there. Not a complaint, just an observation from an outsider.

Don't be discouraged. Those who know each other tend to talk to each other a lot... but stay a while. I guarantee you will be assimilated soon enough.

Muhahahahahahahaha.

maestrowork
10-05-2006, 01:32 AM
hey Ray, I was there and you owe Kathy a pony. She had the original 250000th post. Way to go RG!!!

I know. That KTC cheated. One pony coming up. Who is going to ride him?

Susie
10-05-2006, 02:48 AM
Many congrats Ray on a super thread!

sassandgroove
10-05-2006, 03:04 AM
Please come back, Maggie. The thread updates so quickly, sometimes when I miss several, I don't have time to go back and read what I missed, I just post a GoodMorning and go from there. That may be why yours got missed. Keep posting and we'll say hi. We're nice, really.

maestrowork
10-05-2006, 03:43 AM
Please come back, Maggie. The thread updates so quickly, sometimes when I miss several, I don't have time to go back and read what I missed, I just post a GoodMorning and go from there. That may be why yours got missed. Keep posting and we'll say hi. We're nice, really.

That's the beauty of the House.. you don't have to know what went on the day before to fully enjoy the moment. Just say hi, and go from there.

And Susie... thank you!

MacAllister
10-05-2006, 03:44 AM
its days are numbered...

MUAHAhahahhahahahah!!!!!!!!!! *cough, cough, ahem*

maestrowork
10-05-2006, 03:46 AM
I should go start Mac's House of Pure Evil™.

MidnightMuse
10-05-2006, 03:48 AM
its days are numbered...

MUAHAhahahhahahahah!!!!!!!!!! *cough, cough, ahem*

Aren't all days numbered? Yanno(tm) like the 1st, the 2nd, the 28th ??

aadams73
10-05-2006, 04:11 AM
Next time Ray shows his Wrath, just tell him to zip up.

tiny
10-05-2006, 04:20 AM
For crying out loud, it's a freaking guest house to the hol. Will you people keep it in one place. :D

aadams73
10-05-2006, 04:25 AM
Hey now, Ray is the one waving his wrath about. Tell *him* to keep it in one place. :D

(and you don't want to even ask what Teddy is waving around)

maestrowork
10-05-2006, 04:34 AM
Shouldn't y'all be at the House?

aadams73
10-05-2006, 04:37 AM
:Shrug:
I just like to sit on the grass.

maestrowork
10-05-2006, 04:38 AM
Don't make me show my wrath...

tiny
10-05-2006, 04:38 AM
so is this like the front yard or something?

kristie911
10-05-2006, 04:49 AM
Don't make me show my wrath...

You keep promising to show us, Ray, but I haven't seen it yet! :D

jbal
10-05-2006, 04:52 AM
Someone please lock this thread and send these people back to HOL! I can't keep track of lurking on two threads here people!

aadams73
10-05-2006, 04:59 AM
ARGH!!! Not the wrath!! My eyes, my eyes!

Cath
10-05-2006, 05:20 AM
Teddy is innocent, I tell ya. I N N O C E N T
I'm sorry - what?

In what Universe?

robeiae
10-05-2006, 05:23 AM
If Ray's wrath met Jenna's wrath, what would happen?

Would they cancel each other out, or just form one big wrathle? Would they have a baby wrath...which really begs the question: did their wraths already meet? And maybe Sara's wrath was in the neighborhood, too. Wrathapalooza...

aadams73
10-05-2006, 05:24 AM
I think Wrath is in the water around here. I wouldn't drink it if I were you.

aadams73
10-05-2006, 05:25 AM
I'm sorry - what?

In what Universe?

The Topsy-Turvy-Mirror universe where everything is upside-down and back-to-front.

Cath
10-05-2006, 05:27 AM
You've been drinking the water, haven't you?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-05-2006, 05:34 AM
OK. I'm like Maggie... I've stuck my head in the HOL a couple times and I got lost in all the 'inside' jokes and names, too. But I'm gonna extend ya'll's invitation to Maggie to me, as well! HERE I COME! Y'all better be NICE.

Or... whatever you are in the HOL.

And if you aren't nice, I'm gonna go back to the Deadless Thread and stay there!

JDCrayne
10-05-2006, 05:50 AM
Gosh... and here I've been avoiding HOL like the plague because I thought
it must be a metaphorical frat party with free-flowing whatever.

robeiae
10-05-2006, 05:52 AM
Actually, three HOL members did contract the plague...we had to turn off the hot tub and clean it.

Stew21
10-05-2006, 06:06 AM
HOL is the safest place I know. And Rob, despite what he shows everyone else "out here" is the nicest guy you've ever met. ssshhhh...don't tell anyone.
He also happens to have a great CD collection that I frequently raid while he is too busy in the hot tub to know I broke into his car.

maestrowork
10-05-2006, 06:08 AM
He also happens to have a great CD collection that I frequently raid while he is too busy in the hot tub to know I broke into his car.

NOOOOOOOOO... not that Neil Diamond crap again. And Barbara Streisand. Puleeze...

Haggis
10-05-2006, 06:41 AM
NOOOOOOOOO... not that Neil Diamond crap again. And Barbara Streisand. Puleeze...

Hell. I'm staying in the dead thread.

robeiae
10-05-2006, 07:09 AM
Hell. I'm staying in the dead thread.I have scotch...

Jongfan
10-05-2006, 07:18 AM
Scotch sounds very relaxing, may I have a glass, no ice please

Cath
10-05-2006, 07:19 AM
Would you like your glass with or without Scotch in it?

MacAllister
10-05-2006, 07:21 AM
With scotch, thank you.

And all kidding aside--Congratulations, HOL denizens. You folks really do represent an amazing sense of community. Cheers!

Jongfan
10-05-2006, 07:25 AM
With please

robeiae
10-05-2006, 07:37 AM
Congratulations, HOL denizens. You folks really do represent an amazing sense of community.Eh, I was about to go off into a drawn out bit about the nature of 'community' in current culture, right down into the whole gemainschaft/gesellschaft debate...but I'm feelin giddy.

Drinks are on me, as long as you're all good with my favorite scotch (http://www.delux.cz/img/large/101337.jpg).

Stew21
10-05-2006, 07:41 AM
God, Rob, when you say things like that, your new avatar just FITS!

Haggis
10-05-2006, 07:43 AM
I have scotch...

Scotch? :)

Soccer Mom
10-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Scotch and Haggis go together like...uh...

JDCrayne
10-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Hell. I'm staying in the dead thread.

But they're supposed to be very nice over here, Haggis. They
might have chocolate-coated Milk Bones.

samgail
10-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Drinks are on me, as long as you're all good with my favorite

single malt, scotch whisky? Three fingers neat, please