Picture Prompt!

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Okay, let's do a picture prompt! I'll post a picture and you have to write a short story revolving around it, okay? No word limit but please no novels! This is all for fun.

Okay, here goes:

Imagen031-1.jpg

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Do not scratch me there-how many times have I told you-even I have my limits-fold by the way-you aint got nuttin. Yah I know it is more of a caption I suppose!

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"You're doing great kid but lose the smile or everyone will know we're holding aces. Do what I do and think about flea baths. It works every time."

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"These are the little business cards of Jesus. They always pass them out at funerals. I collect them all over town! Just wait til I put these on e-Bay; we'll be rich!"

SMG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
smgswritingbonanzaofdoom.blogspot.com
FIRST CAME CAIN

Then came the plague that was not the true plague, and then came the cure which was.

Men could not die, and neither could they live.

Ralph lifted the old ratty photo to allow the whale oil lamp to cast it's pumpkin orange light on it. It was a picture of his great great great great great Grandmother Cynthia (on his great aunt's side of the family) and her dog TomTom.
Though the dog was gone, the ancient ancestor was not. She lived on the top floor of the great abode of the family, a place of honor.
The last time Ralph had visited her she had yammered endlessly of what was lost. Great fields of grass and trees and valleys and other things with no more meaning to him than unicorns. No meaning at all, and he wondered if she even remembered what those things were like.

While their skeletons remained, trees were as rare as the moth or caterpillar, as intangible and foreign as the God called Death, a distant phastasm, an idea like the dog in the photograph.

Ralph's stomach rumbled at the thought of dog. He had had it once, thirty years ago, after his father Lone had won the San Fran Archipelago's yearly lottery. He gave his son a quarter of the feast and had commanded him to not talk about it with those who had not partaken. Pride was not always a sin, but boasting was asking for trouble. Many members of the family were hated by half of the others, and there was hardly enough room for love as it was.

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Once those fires hit the trails of gunpowder, the insurance money was in the bag.

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Harold wondered exactly where the rest of that snake had gone.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Don't kill me! I wouldn't have laughed if you had been wearing clothes.''

johnnycannuk

No, I'm little people now
Registered
Reaction score
For the Jacek Yerka

“Hello?” called Sasha, his voice echoing off the walls.

“Keep it down boy, we don’t know who runs this one,” mumbled Grampa, squinting at the windows and leaning on the wheel.

His navigation was off again. There was not supposed to be an island here, none at all, but this one appeared out of the fog silently, as if it arose straight out of the ocean. Grampa glanced down at the mouldy chart folded in his hand and shot another look at the apartment block drawing closer, just off The Caliope’s starboard bow.

“Get the guns lad, we need to land.”

Sasha smiled and bolted for the cabin. Grampa shuffled to the rail and cocked his right ear to the fog bank.

Nothing. A breeze humming through the driftwood plants on the block and the creaking of the boat under his feet. The bonfires crackling, now only 10 meters from where he stood.

But no voices, no calls of anger or joy, no pleading for help. Nothing.

Grampa frowned.

“Where is everybody, Gramps?” whispered Sasha, creeping in under his grandfathers arm and holding up sawed-off pump action.”I thought we weren’t gonna see anyone on this run?”

Grampa slowly reached out and grabbed the gun and, without taking his eyes of the building, moved slowly to the bow.

“Wind must have changed on us, we aren’t supposed to be anywhere near the New York islands…but that is certainly one of them. Might be one of the old Lower East ones, but the shape.”

He gripped the rail and readied himself for the jump.

“They’re in there, lad. Beach fires don’t light themselves, even in this unholy place.” He turned and looked at Sasha, his wrinkled grey eyes stern and serious “You ready to use that thing if you need ta? No more cardboard cuts-outs boy, this will be the real deal.”

Sasha’s excited smile melted away and he turned to look the rusting silver Glauck in his hand.

“Sure Gramps, I guess..but where are they?”

Grampa struggled over, holding the rail in his left hand and clutching the shotgun in his right, white-knuckled and still looking at the windows, now looming high above them. He splashed into the water and leaned toward the shore and the roaring fire just beyond the water’s edge.

“Get that sail down boy and help…help me get The Caliope to shore,” he grunted, weezing against the weight of the boat as he spoke.

Sasha jammed the gun in his belt and lowered the stained canvas tarp that served as the boats main sail, scurrying across the deck, shooting looks alternatively between the apartment block and his grandfather hanging off the rail. He ran to the front, grabbed the rope and lept into the water on the port side and pulled until he reached the fence.

The Caliope was tied off.

Sasha moved around and joined Grampa next to the fire. Grampa was crouching with the shotgun cradled across his thighs, while he warmed his hands and looked from window to window.

“Who are they, Gramps?” asked Sasha, still whispering.

“Survivors, Sasha, the Left-Behinds. Not much different than us, except they couldn’t get out when the sea came in.”

He swept his left hand behind him, toward the open fog enclosed ocean from where they had just come.

“This whole place, as far as the eye could see was a city, boy. As far as the eye could see. Each of the shoals we navigate around is a roof, each island the top of building that was tall enough not to get covered. There aren’t many of them.”

He stood and gripped the gun in both hands, ready to pump, his eyes still locked on the buidling and the doorway.

“When the caps melted and the floods came, thousands were trapped. Most didn’t make it, but a few survived. Of course there was no help for them. The whole damn world had gone to hell by then. I heard tell that whenever a boat came close, the Left-Behinds would call out for help, only to be killed, or worse, by the mauraders. Went on for years before they figured it out. Been about 50 years now and they just as soon kill yas as look at ya. They know there’s no resuce and no help.”

“But they lit the signal fires. They must want to get help, or call us in even to trade”

Again Grampas eyes filled with concern and seriousness turned to Sasha.

“They aren’t signal fires boy, they’re to keep the crocs away. That’s why each doorway and beach has one. That’s why the fences go out into the ocean. They don’t want those ocean crocs coming for them.”

Sasha spun and for the first time turned his back to the apartment block. To him, every wisp and wave looked like the eyes of a creeping reptilian death coming for him.

Grampa never moved, never turned.

Sasha jerked his head to the left when he felt his grandfather’s hand on his shoulder. He was looking at Grampa’s left ear for over 10 seconds before he caught what he was looking at in his peripheral vision. He slowly turned to his left until he was facing the same direction as his grandfather, pulling the gun from his belt and dropping it to his side as he moved.

In a darkened window on the second floor, the red orange heater of a cigarette glowed, faded and the smoke drifted up into the light of the window above it.

“Ready boy?”

Grampa pumped the shot gun and stepped forward.

“We’re here to trade,” he shouted to the cigarette “We don’t want no trouble.”

johnnycannuk

No, I'm little people now
Registered
Reaction score
Amazing what the seredipity of seeing that picture prompt while listening to Sloop John B. by the Beach Boys can conjure up, eh?

Thanks, glad you liked it.

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow he knew that his collection of lolly sticks had taken control of him . . .

(Artwork by Jacek Yerka)

boxhouses.jpg
[/quote]