PDA

View Full Version : More on (or is it moron?) polls

blacbird
09-24-2006, 02:25 AM
Fox News (yes, indeedy, I do watch them; I need to know what the enemy is thinking) last night had Neil Cavuto interviewing Jack Welch (famed ex-CEO bidniss guru), topic being the upcoming election and the apparent resurgence of Republican popularity. In the midst of their euphoria, they popped up some Fox News polling data, without discussing it during the time I watched, that showed the following, numbers correct, might have the question inexactly phrased, but not the meaning of it:

Which party would be better leading Congress:

July: 39% said Democrats, 33% said Republicans
September: 41% said Democrats, 34% said Republicans.

This, from Fox's own poll. Some resurgence. The Pres's approval numbers may be up some from earlier this summer, depending on which polls you look at, which of course are affected by what precise questions were asked. But if these data are indicative of anything, it suggests that in this off-year election, the Presidential coat-tails are mighty short.

I still think the Repubs are going to skate through with the narrowest of margins in both houses, and that it means the final two years of the Bush Presidency will be largely an exercise in custodial duties, aside from the Iraq War. Which is generally the history of the final two years of any full two-term Presidency in my lifetime.

caw.

billythrilly7th
09-24-2006, 02:35 AM
I'm just torn between who I want to win this election.

I just can't quite figure out how the next two years are gonna go.

A few months ago, I was thinking, "it's gonna be a tough two years, gas prices are sky high etc..." so, because Bush would still be in office and have a firm grasp on the most important issue of our generation and keep us safe and I wouldn't have to worry, I wanted the democrats to be in office, so roll around 2008, everyone realizes what a bunch of humps they are and they never win an election again forever.

But gas prices are falling, the economy is rolling, the Iraq war has stablized into a neither getting or worse or better situation, Bin laden is dead, etc...

The next two years might be pretty good and of course I'd want the good guys to benefit from that.

I just don't know. Hmmmmmpf.

Whatever will be will be. I just hope the next two years are good regardless of who gets in.

And like I said, maybe it's time for the assistant managers to put up or shut up.

holla!

Blackheart
09-24-2006, 02:40 AM
A few months ago, I was thinking

What have you been doing since?

billythrilly7th
09-24-2006, 02:42 AM
What have you been doing since?

Man are you rusty.

You don't post much, so I understand.

Blackheart
09-24-2006, 02:43 AM
it cracked me up.

billythrilly7th
09-24-2006, 02:45 AM
it cracked me up.

Well, I guess that's all that counts then.

I'm glad you had a nice laugh, at my expense, which contributes to lowered blood pressure and overall health. My pleasure.

Man, if you live past 50, you owe me big time.

Blackheart
09-24-2006, 02:48 AM
If I'm alive past 50 I was wrong about Bush and Cheney

billythrilly7th
09-24-2006, 02:50 AM
If I'm alive past 50 I was wrong about Bush and Cheney

You do realize that in two years they'll be out of office, right?

So, what is going to happen within the next two years that would stop you from being alive in Canada anymore?

"Alive in Canada"
I like it as a title for my adventure book about a drunk man going to live with the bears in the Yukon Territory.

TheGaffer
09-24-2006, 03:02 AM
Fox News (yes, indeedy, I do watch them; I need to know what the enemy is thinking) last night had Neil Cavuto interviewing Jack Welch

And this is where the credibility of the conversation ends...

billythrilly7th
09-24-2006, 03:05 AM
One of my favorite pastimes is watching the.....

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/1/d/democratic_crybaby_seal.jpg

....crying because of the loss of complete dominance in the media. Now they only have moderate to high dominance.

God bless Fox News for being brave enough to show both sides of the issue. And your bravery has been rewarded with complete dominance in the area of cable news.

billythrilly7th
09-24-2006, 03:10 AM
And this is where the credibility of the conversation ends...

More "if you don't agree with me, you have no credibility" from the "tolerant" left.

I love it.

robeiae
09-24-2006, 03:12 AM
And this is where the credibility of the conversation ends...But Bulls and Bears rocks...and then some.

Blackheart
09-24-2006, 03:32 AM
You do realize that in two years they'll be out of office, right?

That only happens in democracies

TheGaffer
09-24-2006, 08:01 AM
More "if you don't agree with me, you have no credibility" from the "tolerant" left.
You know me better than that, billy. See what I bolded there. Neil Cavuto. That was intentional.

Speak to me as a human being, ok?

Now they only have moderate to high dominance.
Have you been watching the news lately?

billythrilly7th
09-24-2006, 08:44 AM
You know me better than that, billy. See what I bolded there. Neil Cavuto. That was intentional.

Yeah, so.....You think Neil Cavuto has credibility? I don't get it. Thank you.

Speak to me as a human being, ok?

That's what I'm doing. I'm not a big fan of the human.

You should say, speak to me as a chimpanzee. Everyone loves monkeys.
:)

With that said, I'll make an effort. 'Cause you're a Gaffer from NYC whose Mets are in danger of becoming one of the biggest disappointments in sports history.

Have you been watching the news lately?

Yes. All the time. Liberals have CNN, MSNBC, CBS, NBC touting their case. Not to mention almost every major newspaper in the country.

...ABC is pretty neutral.

And the Republicans have Fox and the WSJ.

And the liberals just can't handle the domination of Fox and their fair and balanced approach to news reporting.

Bartholomew
09-24-2006, 09:59 AM
I knew I felt a disturbance in the force.

Billy is online crusading against all that is Holy and Sacred.

Shame on you, Billy!

http://www.gibbsmagazine.com/j0078734.gif

TheGaffer
09-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Yeah, so.....You think Neil Cavuto has credibility? I don't get it. Thank you.
I'm saying I think he has no credibility. And to say such does not necessarily mark me as "intolerant."

Liberals have CNN, MSNBC, CBS, NBC touting their case. Not to mention almost every major newspaper in the country.

Not really, no. CNN's last 3 commentators it hired are all conservatives; they don't have one liberal-minded commentator. MSNBC has Tucker Carlson (conservative), Scarborough (conservative), Matthews (middle-of-road Bush shill) and Olbermann (liberal). So you're incorrect about that.

Bartholomew
09-24-2006, 07:23 PM
I'm saying I think he has no credibility. And to say such does not necessarily mark me as "intolerant."

Not really, no. CNN's last 3 commentators it hired are all conservatives; they don't have one liberal-minded commentator. MSNBC has Tucker Carlson (conservative), Scarborough (conservative), Matthews (middle-of-road Bush shill) and Olbermann (liberal). So you're incorrect about that.

Yes, but conservative isn't enough. They need to be NEO-Conservative, otherwise they're just trying to destroy America, darn them.

billythrilly7th
09-24-2006, 09:24 PM

I'm not talking about their commentators. I'm talking about their editorial slant of hard news stories. That's really a lot more important than "entertainment shows."

With that said, I'm glad to see they are making an effort to be fair and balanced, especially the once respected, now ridiculed and rarely watched Clinton News Network even if it's within the political equivalent of wrestling, of commentary shows.

MSNBC is a disgrace and a joke and should be taken off the air and replaced with infomercials.

billythrilly7th
09-24-2006, 09:25 PM
I'm saying I think he has no credibility.

Why?

Bartholomew
09-24-2006, 09:31 PM
FOX News is a disgrace and a joke and should be taken off the air and replaced with infomercials.

I agree.

billythrilly7th
09-24-2006, 09:45 PM
I agree that I wear this shirt everyday...http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/1/d/democratic_crybaby_seal.jpg...because I can't seem to win an election and it's just not fair and Fox News makes me just so....so angry! I want to cry because it was so much better when I didn't have to listen to other points of views and we were essentially like communist Russia when it came to news reporting in the United States. I'm so sad that has changed.

Jeez, Bart.

Get a hold of yourself!

You still have the NY Times and maybe you'll win an election this fall. Keep the faith, buddy.

PM me if you want to talk.

ColoradoGuy
09-24-2006, 11:02 PM
last night had Neil Cavuto interviewing Jack Welch
For Cavuto lovers. Enjoy.
http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/funny/the_question_mark_the_cavuto_43826.asp

ColoradoGuy
09-24-2006, 11:05 PM
Sorry about the above. It appears that you need Media Bistro membership to run the clip. But it's nearly worth the price to see it.

billythrilly7th
09-24-2006, 11:15 PM
Sorry about the above. It appears that you need Media Bistro membership to run the clip. But it's nearly worth the price to see it.

It worked and I'm pretty sure I don't have a media bistro membership.

Funny stuff.

TheGaffer
09-25-2006, 05:37 AM
I'm talking about their editorial slant of hard news stories. That's really a lot more important than "entertainment shows."

I need examples, not just your opinion. Most of their news is pretty straightforward. The fact is most of the stuff with liberal bias is a lot of whining by conservatives. Anything that doesn't pay fealty to the President is "bias." Point out an inconsistency in what the president said? Bias. Point out in a first-day story that the President said something that seems to contradict the truth? You're being biased. And the various other networks have moved further and further to the right, both in terms of commentariat and in terms of the spin in their news stories, and you hear the same thing every time: "Waaaah, it's bias. Waaah." Crybabies. A lot of conservatives basically don't care about the basic facts, to be honest.

There's a number of writers/commentators who are supposedly "balanced" but parrot right-wing spin on a daily basis it's mind-boggling -- ABC's TheNote, Chris Matthews, and Adam Nagourney and Elizabeth Bumiller of the NYT, who cover the President.

I'm not saying everyone - the Washington Post does a good job with balance; CBS is pretty good with this too, as is the LA Times, Business Week, WSJ, Time Magazine, a few others, that continue to separate their editorial voice from the hard news stories. Brit Hume's regular news show is pretty solid too in this regard, actually. (CNN is mostly guilty of being boring...the Clinton News Network stuff was always a goofy criticism. The President gets more coverage than anyone just on nature of the position he holds -- Bush is on all the time these days. He's the President.)

billythrilly7th
09-25-2006, 06:16 AM
I need examples, not just your opinion. Most of their news is pretty straightforward. The fact is most of the stuff with liberal bias is a lot of whining by conservatives. Anything that doesn't pay fealty to the President is "bias." Point out an inconsistency in what the president said? Bias. Point out in a first-day story that the President said something that seems to contradict the truth? You're being biased.

Yes. My mistake. It is I who has shown the bias.

There is no liberal media bias from the major networks, cable networks and major newspapers. It's just a fabfrication of the right. There are an equal amount of conservatives and liberals throughout all avenues of major media and that is why we have the fairness and lack of bias towards one party or the other.

I apologize and will talk to my people to see what we can do to end this myth A.S.A.P.

We really need to stop making this stuff up especially if we can't back it up with specific evidence, scientific research, polls, or quotes and admissions from the media themselves.

And Fox News is fair and balanced as well because they have a balance of conservatives and liberals calling the shots there.

Once again, my mistake.

Except for a glitch here or there, overall, everything is generally balanced throughout the media world.

Thank you.

BottomlessCup
09-25-2006, 08:12 AM
Pretty weak, Billy.

billythrilly7th
09-25-2006, 08:45 AM
Pretty weak, Billy.

lol...so predictable. I was wondering who would be the first to go with that "weak rebuttal, Billy" line. Sad it was you, BC, who knows me pretty well.

You know I don't debate fact, BC. Sorry if I have better things to do than debate fact.

"The sun isn't coming up tomorrow!"

"Yes it is."

"No, it isn't."

"Okay...I'm going to go watch some football."

I waste enough time debating debatable topics.

If I add debating factual topics, I won't be doing my job as a professional messageboarder to the best of my ability and I'll be ignoring my responsbililites to my wife and children.

So....

"There's no liberal media bias."

"Ohhhh okay. Whatever."

And I then allow people like yourself to go "He must not have anything on this one. Got'em!!! Yay!! I knew there was no liberal media bias. If all Billy has is sarcastic remark post then followed by a really long semi-coherent post defending and explaining why he only had a sarcastic remark post, he really can't prove it. He can't come up with any examples or graphs or quotes or scientific studies even with Google. Wow! Both of those posts were so long winded that they bordered on insane. He really is looking ridiculous on this liberal media bias issue and just won't stop. He keeps going and going and going like a maniac and you'd think he'd crack and post a couple links or something to back up his point but he'd rather just continue with his absurd 'I don't feel like bothering' tactic. It's almost embaressing for a professional messageboard poster of his status to do this. It's like watching a great athlete limp through his final season. Oh well. Sad. He should just go to sleep and come back tomorrow refreshed if he refuses to back up his absurd claims and just wants to keep going with that post about why he doesn't feel like defending his position and the more he goes the more it looks like he has nothing on this issue and yet he keeps going and going and going and he probably thinks the more he goes on with that post the more he will get his point across that he doesn't want to bother debating fact but the more he keeps going the bigger ditch he digs for himself and he should just stop. But he keeps going on with the post. Oh well. I hope he doesn't think that his long borderline lunatic post is funny and can somehow cover up his weak rebuttal in the media bias case and that if he keeps going people will start saying 'okay, I get it, Billy, you could post a defense, but have chosen not to,' because it's really not a very funny post and people can see through his desperation."

Thank you.
William "Saving his Energy for Debatable Topics as we Near Election Time Excuse even though people take that as a weak excuse and he looks downright sad but doesn't care because he's a secure person and refuses to be baited when he'd rather watch Football and Summer of '42 knows there is a factual media liberal bias but probably spent more time writing the posts he's written than it would have taken him to open his war chest of liberal media bias evidence and post a few links but is having much more fun and after all the years as a professional messageboarder has to sometimes amuse himself to stay fresh" Thrilly.

Thank you.

Dr. Spork,
I think we should double up on our sessions this week.
Thank you.
Billy

blacbird
09-25-2006, 10:44 AM
Thrillsy, you want liberal bias? Read The Nation. They brag about it, they're proud of it. If I want conservative bias, likewise I can read The National Review. That's all fair enough.

But The Gaffer has it pretty much correct. Conservatives whine if there's any lib viewpoint presented, particularly if it's well and forcefully presented, regardless of the same venue presenting equal time for conservative viewpoints. But what's happened with GWB has transcended liberal/conservative divides. There's a personal level adulation there that gets to the visceral level and continues to mystify me.

caw.

billythrilly7th
09-25-2006, 11:51 AM
But what's happened with GWB has transcended liberal/conservative divides. There's a personal level adulation there that gets to the visceral level and continues to mystify me.

caw.

Hang in there. Only 2 1/2 more years.

And I respect that even though you play it off as "wanting to know what the enemy is doing" you watch Fox News. I know that you are more conservative than you let on and agree with many of the things the conservative commentators say especially O'Reilly. Maybe not on the Iraq war, but many other issues.

Thank you.

BottomlessCup
09-26-2006, 10:12 AM
lol...so predictable. I was wondering who would be the first to go with...
...Billy

Seriously, what's funnier than a neocon who's been backed into a corner?

billythrilly7th
09-26-2006, 10:15 AM

The delusional democrat who self congratulates himself on a non-backing.

I find that hilarious.

I understand though, BC. I don't expect much out of you.

P.S. It was funny though. Damn funny.

'Nuff said.

BottomlessCup
09-26-2006, 10:30 AM
A. I'm not a Democrat.

B. I'm not being self-congratulatory. This thread was over long before I got here.

C. Don't ply your harsh-comment-with-a-smilie nonsense on me, Thrills. Say it or don't.

D. How the hell many times are you going to edit that?

billythrilly7th
09-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Apparently you never saw Meet The Parents.

Good night.

billythrilly7th
09-26-2006, 10:35 AM
And don't talk to me ever again!!!

Thank you.

billythrilly7th
09-26-2006, 10:37 AM
D. How the hell many times are you going to edit that?

Until it's perfect.

And I told you never talk to me again!!

Good night.

Thank you.

BottomlessCup
09-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Psh. I wasn't gonna talk to you ever again anyway.

Blackheart
09-26-2006, 12:58 PM

watching him try to find a servant to wipe his *** after he's helped kill everyone on earth?

Shadow_Ferret
09-26-2006, 03:58 PM
... I need to know what the enemy is thinking....

I couldn't get past this. I didn't realize the state of politics had fallen so far that people thought of other people as enemies simply because of their point of view.

TheGaffer
09-26-2006, 05:09 PM
I didn't realize the state of politics had fallen so far that people thought of other people as enemies simply because of their point of view.
You been watching the news the last few years, bro?

Shadow_Ferret
09-26-2006, 05:20 PM
You been watching the news the last few years, bro?

Straight news? Yes.

That opinionated garbage that's full of anger, puffery, and stupidity? No.

blacbird
09-26-2006, 10:58 PM
I couldn't get past this. I didn't realize the state of politics had fallen so far that people thought of other people as enemies simply because of their point of view.

My little dig here was facetious, but then, I went through the Nixon Years. Remember the infamous "enemies list"? And, more recently, how people like Don Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney demonized those who disagreed with them as being "unpatriotic" and "hating America"? Oh, and then there's Ann Coulter, for whom anyone who disagrees with her about anything is a "traitor".

caw.

TheGaffer
09-26-2006, 11:28 PM
That and the various people of late who suggest killing anyone who disagrees with them.

dclary
09-26-2006, 11:35 PM
That and the various people of late who suggest killing anyone who disagrees with them.

Smile when you say that....You don't know the power of the AW Cats-Eye Triad.

http://blog.dbthoughts.com/C1404482591/E670175878/Media/bewarethesniperkitten.jpg

Papa'sLiver
09-27-2006, 12:04 AM
Yes. My mistake. It is I who has shown the bias.

There is no liberal media bias from the major networks, cable networks and major newspapers. It's just a fabfrication of the right. There are an equal amount of conservatives and liberals throughout all avenues of major media and that is why we have the fairness and lack of bias towards one party or the other.

I apologize and will talk to my people to see what we can do to end this myth A.S.A.P.

We really need to stop making this stuff up especially if we can't back it up with specific evidence, scientific research, polls, or quotes and admissions from the media themselves.

And Fox News is fair and balanced as well because they have a balance of conservatives and liberals calling the shots there.

Once again, my mistake.

Except for a glitch here or there, overall, everything is generally balanced throughout the media world.

Thank you.

wow, well, that really WAS weak, Bill.

TheGaffer
09-27-2006, 02:41 AM
Smile when you say that....You don't know the power of the AW Cats-Eye Triad.

Clary, I dont' know what that is.

As with most of your posts, I'm torn between whether it's the most laugh-out-loud brilliant or Katy-bar-the-door-frightening thing I've ever seen.

Nice work. :)

Blackheart
09-27-2006, 03:01 AM
yeah like dclary made that pic http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/laugh.gif

dclary
09-27-2006, 03:36 AM
I defer all photoshop mastery to the black'eart Blackheart.

My only talent lies in googling good already-existent images.

KikiteNeko
03-31-2009, 05:55 AM
One of my favorite pastimes is watching the.....

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/1/d/democratic_crybaby_seal.jpg

....crying because of the loss of complete dominance in the media. Now they only have moderate to high dominance.

God bless Fox News for being brave enough to show both sides of the issue. And your bravery has been rewarded with complete dominance in the area of cable news.

It's funny because this in no way applies to 2009!

blacbird
03-31-2009, 07:49 AM
And this thread was resurrected from three years ago . . . for what reason?

caw

KikiteNeko
03-31-2009, 07:52 AM

caw

Congratulations, you were randomly selected and won?

Joe270
03-31-2009, 08:36 AM

Maybe to one-up Rob on his year-old thread resurrection?

You LOSE, Robieaeiou!

Cyia
03-31-2009, 08:43 AM
'Tis a vampire thread, it rises from the grave. Run and hide!!!

Joe270
03-31-2009, 08:46 AM
Hey, it could be fun. We could just ad-lib random lines into the thread, like with a cult movie. (My family watched 'Twilight' and had a blast. That movie has as many audience ad-libbed one liners than 'Rocky Horror'.)

Bloody hell, another vampire thread!

dclary
03-31-2009, 09:21 AM
I don't know who the hell that dclary fellow is but he's HI-larious!

Joe270
03-31-2009, 09:36 AM
That's 'cause you're a vampire, Deek.

Admit it, you're never here in the daytime, and you have a deathly repulsion to adverbs.

Practically, or supernaturally speaking, hypothetically and possibly hypoallergenically speaking, naturally.

Fundamentally. . .

MattW
03-31-2009, 04:29 PM

cawTo demonstrate whining can easily turn into gloating because of a change in administration, regardless of actual improvement?