PDA

View Full Version : [Agent] John Jarrold

MaryKaye
09-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Does anyone know anything about John Jarrold in the UK? He runs both a literary agency and a book-doctor business, which is sometimes a red flag; on the other hand, his credentials are impressive. P&E has not heard of him.

Mary Kaye

Mark Lazer
09-13-2006, 04:34 PM
I semi-know him. He's a member on a SFF forum called the Chronicles where you can ask questions about the big bad publishing world. I don't really know him, but he seems to be willing to give insight in the publishing world.

This is "his" part of the Chronicles Forum: http://www.chronicles-network.com/forum/10616-about-the-publishing-board.html

waylander
09-13-2006, 06:17 PM
I know John Jarrold and he is utterly legitimate. He did a paid edit on my novel which I thought was very well worth it, and he represents a good friend of mine. He is a first class agent who has secured good deals for a number of his clients.
His blog is here http://jjarrold.livejournal.com/

Popeyesays
09-13-2006, 09:08 PM
I know John Jarrold and he is utterly legitimate. He did a paid edit on my novel which I thought was very well worth it, and he represents a good friend of mine. He is a first class agent who has secured good deals for a number of his clients.

For any individual he will either do an EDIT, or he will REPRESENT the novel. He will NOT do both.

He is quite ethical and straight-forward in his dealings one of the Absolute Write board people recently was picked up by him; and I wish I had been.

Regards,
Scott

bloemmarc
09-14-2006, 11:06 PM
I queried him, and he asked for my first 6 chapters, like 20 minutes later. I've never seen an agent move that quick before.

DamaNegra
09-14-2006, 11:45 PM
I queried him, and he asked for my first 6 chapters, like 20 minutes later. I've never seen an agent move that quick before.
Was it an e-query?

HapiSofi
09-15-2006, 12:03 AM
John Jarrold is brilliant, honest, and has a phenomenal grasp of literature.

bloemmarc
09-15-2006, 12:33 AM
Yes, it was. Does that mean he would be interested?

Was it an e-query?

DamaNegra
09-15-2006, 02:26 AM
Yes, it was. Does that mean he would be interested?
No, but since e-queries take less than 1 second to reach the agent, it's normal for agents to respond more quickly to your queries. That is what I asked.

Looking back on it, though, it was a stupid question :)

waylander
09-15-2006, 02:28 AM
6 chapters is the usual size of sample he asks for, I believe.

bloemmarc
09-15-2006, 03:59 AM
I believe that he is excellent, and await his reply with interest. I am wondering though, does he ask for samples of query he receives, or just the ones he's interested in?

6 chapters is the usual size of sample he asks for, I believe.

Popeyesays
09-15-2006, 06:08 AM
His website says six chapters are acceptable, but I queried him without submission first, since that seemed like a big lump to dump on him.

Regards,
Scott

bloemmarc
09-17-2006, 01:49 AM
Did he request your first six chapters then? Did he like them?

His website says six chapters are acceptable, but I queried him without submission first, since that seemed like a big lump to dump on him.

Regards,
Scott

Popeyesays
09-17-2006, 01:56 AM
Did he request your first six chapters then? Did he like them?

Yes, I sent them. He did reject but his letter was kind and polite.

I dropped him a line to thank him for his thoughts and compliment him on his blogsite and to let him know that I did sell the book, and he kindly replied congratulating me and thanking me for kind words about his blog.

I like the man.

Regards,
Scott

bloemmarc
09-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Well after talking with him a bit myself, and reading more about, how could you not like the guy?
I haven't heard back from him or Firebrand who told me to resubmit at the end of the summer, but I am expecting rejections. that way, you don't give your hopes up. When it does happen then, it's all the more special.

Yes, I sent them. He did reject but his letter was kind and polite.

I dropped him a line to thank him for his thoughts and compliment him on his blogsite and to let him know that I did sell the book, and he kindly replied congratulating me and thanking me for kind words about his blog.

I like the man.

Regards,
Scott

GeoffNelder
09-17-2006, 10:52 PM
He's a friend of Jon Courtenay Grimwood. Any friend of Grimwood is a ... I wish to be a friend of mine.
<br /><br />
Geoff

bloemmarc
09-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Who is Jon Courtenay Grimwood?

SJAB
09-17-2006, 11:22 PM
Who is Jon Courtenay Grimwood?

Gargle!!!!Splutter!!!

He is a very talented SF writer. This is his site;

http://www.j-cg.co.uk/

I had the pleasure of listening to him speak at Eastercon this year.

bloemmarc
09-18-2006, 12:54 AM
I am a big fantasy fan myself, but the only ones I have read mostly are Tolkein, King, and Rowling. I haven't heard of many others, but I am seeking to be a fantasy/SF writer myself, and have a trilogy I am trying to send out.

Gargle!!!!Splutter!!!

He is a very talented SF writer. This is his site;

http://www.j-cg.co.uk/

I had the pleasure of listening to him speak at Eastercon this year.

mistri
09-18-2006, 01:22 AM
John Jarrold has recently started a livejournal (here (http://jjarrold.livejournal.com/)). I submitted to him once before and he read six chapters then requested the full MS before rejecting it.

But please don't all submit to him. I don't want the competition when I finish my current WIP...

:D

bloemmarc
09-18-2006, 02:26 AM
Oh, I see how it is, kidding

John Jarrold has recently started a livejournal (here (http://jjarrold.livejournal.com/)). I submitted to him once before and he read six chapters then requested the full MS before rejecting it.

But please don't all submit to him. I don't want the competition when I finish my current WIP...

:D

GeoffNelder
09-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Five former clients of Hill & Hill have already sent queries to John in the last 4 days.
<br /><br /> Will the next one bundle eye-refresh drops too?

<br /><br />
Geoff

MildlyMiffed
09-20-2006, 03:33 AM
I submitted to him, after an e-query.

He said he'd get back to me as soon as possible - fingers and everythign else crossed over here, which makes walking difficult!

SJAB
09-20-2006, 02:59 PM
I am a big fantasy fan myself, but the only ones I have read mostly are Tolkein, King, and Rowling. I haven't heard of many others, but I am seeking to be a fantasy/SF writer myself, and have a trilogy I am trying to send out.

Bloemmarc; He is one of my favourite British SF writers, suggest trying Geoff Ryman, Justina Robson and Ken Macloud as well.

Roger J Carlson
09-20-2006, 05:31 PM
I am a big fantasy fan myself, but the only ones I have read mostly are Tolkein, King, and Rowling. I haven't heard of many others, but I am seeking to be a fantasy/SF writer myself, and have a trilogy I am trying to send out.How can you call yourself a "big fan" if you're not widely read in the genre? How can you expect to write for a genre unless you're widely read in it?

James D. Macdonald
09-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Here's a reading list for fantasy writers: http://www.worldfantasy.org/awards/

bloemmarc
09-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Well, maihnly because, I just have not heard of some of these other guys. There is more to fantasy stories besides books as well. My favorite show Stargate is a fantasy story, as well as Star Wars. I am branching out and finding hew fantasy books all the time as of late though.

But, I must be doing something write with my fantasy stories, because even though, I do not have representation yet, I do have a very very active imigination.

How can you call yourself a "big fan" if you're not widely read in the genre? How can you expect to write for a genre unless you're widely read in it?

SJAB
09-20-2006, 10:40 PM
Here's a reading list for fantasy writers: http://www.worldfantasy.org/awards/

Got my fingers crossed for Hal Duncan's " Vellum".

T. Nielsen Hayden
09-21-2006, 07:27 PM
I like the man.So do I.

Allow me to add to the general description of that genuinely nice guy, John Jarrold, that he has a wicked good ear, can do phenomenally accurate imitations of other people's speaking voices, and appears to have memorized all of Shakespeare (and much other literature besides).

You could do a lot worse than to have him as an agent. Or editor.

James D. Macdonald
09-21-2006, 10:31 PM
But, I must be doing something write with my fantasy stories, because even though, I do not have representation yet, I do have a very very active imigination.

Thinking about writing is not writing. Talking about writing is not writing. Only writing is writing.

bloemmarc
09-22-2006, 03:34 AM
Yes I know, which is why I am trying to polish my 101,000 word fantasy story.

Thinking about writing is not writing. Talking about writing is not writing. Only writing is writing.

bloemmarc
10-10-2006, 09:08 PM
I queried Mr. Jarrold sometime ago, about a month I believe. Now, I might saying it's a bad thing if you don't hear from an agent in a month's time, but Mr. Jarrold promised to get back to me within two weeks of submission the very same day he asked for my first six chapters. Then when the end of thee two weeks got closer, he puts on his weblog that he will be offline for three weeks because of a move, but will be checking e-mails via cyber cafe though.

He told me if I hadn't gotten his e-mail within two weeks after my submission to nudge him. Well, I nudged him in an e-mail, and have yet to hear from him, and it is going over a month.

JustinThorne
10-10-2006, 10:13 PM
John is a very high profile and well-respected figure in the British SF&F community. He has worked with the likes of Michael Moorcock and Gay Gavriel Kay. Any author would be extremely lucky to benefit from his editing and/or his representation as an agent.

I'm sure he checks-in with this forum from time to time and without putting words in his mouth, whilst he is sure to enjoy the praise, he is unlikely to warm to people posting up his rejection letters or those whining about response times... I wouldn't, would you?

waylander
10-10-2006, 10:31 PM
John Jarrold is having issues with his service provider and is still having to check his e-mail from a cybercafe.

bloemmarc
10-11-2006, 12:26 AM
No, I wouldn't either, just wondering why he would say one thing, and do another without a word. If he is still checking e-mail at a cyber cafe, why didn't he answer my e-mail when he said to nudge him?
i believe he is highly respected, it's just that I hold people to their word, and when what they say doesn't happen, it makes me wonder.
I wasn't trying to whine or complain though, only to wonder if he is having problems

John is a very high profile and well-respected figure in the British SF&F community. He has worked with the likes of Michael Moorcock and Gay Gavriel Kay. Any author would be extremely lucky to benefit from his editing and/or his representation as an agent.

I'm sure he checks-in with this forum from time to time and without putting words in his mouth, whilst he is sure to enjoy the praise, he is unlikely to warm to people posting up his rejection letters or those whining about response times... I wouldn't, would you?

JustinThorne
10-11-2006, 01:11 AM
From experience, moving house can sure mess-up your best intentions... Personally, I'd prefer any agent to take their time considering my submission, when they are in the right frame of mind and definitely NOT moving house... Not the best time to be questioned on your word, and definitely not on a public forum with 10000 members.

Hell, I'd be pissed off to have my own thread in the 'BEWARE - BACKGROUND CHECK' forum, let alone the rest... but that's just me and I am unreasonable.

bloemmarc
10-11-2006, 01:44 AM
No, you're not being unreasonable, and I do understand the moving situations. But most people know two weeks in advance when they will be moving, and that is exactly the time he said to e-mail him if I hadn't heard from him, and that is the time when he said he'd be gone for like a month.

It's perfectly fine ofcourse that he is moving, and I whish him good luck with the move and everything, but why would he tell me to get back to him in two weeks or he would me if he was taking off for a month then. Plus like I said if he is still checking e-mails at a cyber cafe, couldn't he have alerted the authors he was working with of his situation. I understand if he wasn't able to get to my first six chapters because of the move and everything, but at least update the people on your paticular situation you're going into, especially if he told you to get back to him only two weeks before his big move. That's just common courtesy, or maybe I am being unreasonable.

From experience, moving house can sure mess-up your best intentions... Personally, I'd prefer any agent to take their time considering my submission, when they are in the right frame of mind and definitely NOT moving house... Not the best time to be questioned on your word, and definitely not on a public forum with 10000 members.

Hell, I'd be pissed off to have my own thread in the 'BEWARE - BACKGROUND CHECK' forum, let alone the rest... but that's just me and I am unreasonable.

JustinThorne
10-11-2006, 02:29 AM
Well, you're asking questions only one man can answer.

Let's hope he doesn't get the wrong idea... you don't want him thinking you are high maintenance do ya... could be a looooooooong relationship between author and agent!

bloemmarc
10-11-2006, 02:35 AM
I believe he is a great guy, and highly reputable. It's just I was excited to hear what he had to say, ya or nay after the two weeks he said he'd get back. I can wait though. It'll probaly be nay since I am a new unpublished author.

Well, you're asking questions only one man can answer.

Let's hope he doesn't get the wrong idea... you don't want him thinking you are high maintenance do ya... could be a looooooooong relationship between author and agent!

waylander
10-11-2006, 03:12 AM
I have listened to Mr Jarrold on the subject of what it takes to get published these days and the standard is very high. OTOH he represents a good friend of mine and she had only a few small short story sales to her name when he took her on.

bloemmarc
10-11-2006, 03:40 AM
I believe that, but I had some pretty notable people who said my tale has potential, but I also know that this by no means equals success.
I don't get my hopes up to high ever, just trying my best and see what happens.
John Jarrold sounds like he'd be a wonderful honest agent to work with.

I have listened to Mr Jarrold on the subject of what it takes to get published these days and the standard is very high. OTOH he represents a good friend of mine and she had only a few small short story sales to her name when he took her on.

spacejock2
11-01-2006, 01:01 PM
So do I.

Allow me to add to the general description of that genuinely nice guy, John Jarrold, that he has a wicked good ear, can do phenomenally accurate imitations of other people's speaking voices, and appears to have memorized all of Shakespeare (and much other literature besides).

You could do a lot worse than to have him as an agent. Or editor.

I agree! (And for the record, John's my agent.)

And Bloemmarc - John was hoping British Telecom would have his phone and internet back up by the 20th of October (that's three weeks from his moving date, and the earliest they could possibly connect him up.)

I'm starting a sweepstakes on when it might be up again, and if BT are anything like their Aussie equivalent my prediction of Xmas '07 is looking good.

Cheers
Simon

bloemmarc
11-01-2006, 11:03 PM
Wow, we was able to get my internet and phone set up in only a couple days, but I hope things are going well for him.

I agree! (And for the record, John's my agent.)

And Bloemmarc - John was hoping British Telecom would have his phone and internet back up by the 20th of October (that's three weeks from his moving date, and the earliest they could possibly connect him up.)

I'm starting a sweepstakes on when it might be up again, and if BT are anything like their Aussie equivalent my prediction of Xmas '07 is looking good.

Cheers
Simon

HapiSofi
11-02-2006, 01:11 AM
Bloemmarc, you're being a wee tad bit boring. Have you never moved house, or gotten into a land war in Asia with your service provider? You say you have a good imagination. Start using it.

If, on the other hand, you've decided that you can't work with an agent who doesn't get back to you within two weeks, no matter what else is going on in his life, then by all means go to someone else.

bloemmarc
11-02-2006, 02:43 AM
Hey, don't get that way.
All I said was I was able to get it connected it in a couple days with mine, but I whish him luck with his move.
Also all I was saying was that he e-mailed me and said I should get back to you within two weeks, which was like a week and a half before he moved. Than a week later, he puts up on his site that he'll be offline for the nest three weeks or more, right after he told me he'd get back to me during that span, without any word at all.
Don't tell me to get an imagination at all, because I am just repeating what he said to me in his e-mail, and than completely changed it a short time later.
I understand if he is moving and having alot of problems, I do, but why would he have said that I won't be able to get back to you for a long while because I am moving, instead of saying only two weeks at the time.
This si what I am trying to ask, but nobody seems capable of adressing this question, like why would he he say he'd get back to me in a short while, knowing that he was going to move at the same time, and not giving a warning about it?
I also didn't say I couldn't work with him either, and was really only just wondering what was going on with him?

bloemmarc
11-02-2006, 02:44 AM
He is the one who said he'd get back to me witnin two weeks, and then did something completely different. I don't know, I guess I have a problem of holding people to their word to much.

Essentially if he was planning a big move that had the potential of all these problems, why would he continue to work with new authors and tell them that he'd be able to get back to them in a short amount of time, when obviously he was not able to.
I know that I'm boring though, because I keep restating this part.

Bloemmarc, you're being a wee tad bit boring. Have you never moved house, or gotten into a land war in Asia with your service provider? You say you have a good imagination. Start using it.

If, on the other hand, you've decided that you can't work with an agent who doesn't get back to you within two weeks, no matter what else is going on in his life, then by all means go to someone else.

spacejock2
11-02-2006, 06:02 AM
Wow, we was able to get my internet and phone set up in only a couple days, but I hope things are going well for him.

Are you in England?

roach
11-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Also all I was saying was that he e-mailed me and said I should get back to you within two weeks, which was like a week and a half before he moved. Than a week later, he puts up on his site that he'll be offline for the nest three weeks or more, right after he told me he'd get back to me during that span, without any word at all.

Sounds like the situation changed in the week after he wrote you with an expected answer time. I wouldn't interpret that as a person not keeping to his word but the reality of stuff happening. An agent's first priority is to existing clients, not writers whose work he is considering. If he's been without internet access for this long it's likely he's spending his time trying to keep up with current business rather than keeping track of submissions. Have you read Miss Snark's blog? She's written that submissions, even requested partials and manuscripts, go on the back burner while the agent takes care of everything else.

While you're waiting you might want to get back to sending out queries and working on your next book.

waylander
12-05-2006, 10:38 PM
John Jarrold updated his blog today.
For those who want to know why he hasn't replied to queries for a while the story is there.
http://jjarrold.livejournal.com/6072.html

MaryKaye
12-05-2006, 11:16 PM
Ow, what a pain! No wonder he's having trouble responding to stuff--*two* moves in a short period of time. I hope things improve for him.

As the person who started this thread, I just wanted to say that having a thread under your name on "Backgrounds and Bewares" is no insult--many of the best agents in the field do. It just means that someone was considering you as an agent and looking for information.

With luck my manuscript will eventually emerge from the chaos, but I understand it may take a while.

Mary Kaye

Popeyesays
12-05-2006, 11:30 PM
At the moment he is answering e-mail from an internet cafe. I wrote to him and he replied about ten days ago saying he would look at my stuff and get back to me ASAP, that's when he mentioned the internet cafe.

Regards,
Scott

spacejock2
12-06-2006, 05:55 AM
He's back online now, but has a two month backlog to catch up with.

Popeyesays
12-06-2006, 06:10 AM
He's back online now, but has a two month backlog to catch up with.

The English have many great traditions, unfortunately glacial service from public utilities is one of those traditions.

It's reported that G.B. Shaw had a two year tussle with his water bill at one point, I'm sure the phone company is no better.

Regards,
Scott

Anne Lyle
05-29-2007, 06:05 PM
When I decided to attend the 2007 Winchester Writer's Conference, I got so excited when I saw John Jarrold would be attending. Then I realised that I was looking at the 2006 programme - the website hadn't been updated yet :cry:

No SF&F specialists at this year's conference - hard enough to find someone who doesn't say "no fantasy" in their listing...

I hardly consider my own work worthy of approaching the likes of JJ, but you have to aim high to hit the target :)

herdon
05-29-2007, 09:37 PM
I'd be curious on how domestic/foreign rights were worked out if a US author had a UK agent. (I noticed that he does have at least one US author). Which is considered domestic and would such a relationship inspire changing it to US/UK rights at 15 and non US/UK rights at 20 (to make domestic mean both domestic for the agent and the author).

Robyn
05-29-2007, 11:29 PM
I'd be curious to know this as I've considered checking out agents in the UK as well as here in the US.

Anne Lyle
05-30-2007, 12:51 AM
I'd be curious to know this as I've considered checking out agents in the UK as well as here in the US.

I'll try to remember to ask at the conference, assuming I get my two 15-minute meetings with agents. One of them is offering a question-and-answer appointment rather than reading submissions, so he might be a good one to ask this sort of stuff.

I have to point out that there aren't many agents in the UK, and the ones who do SF&F are in a small minority. I shall of course submit to UK agents first, but I won't be surprised if I run out pretty quickly and have to try the US ones. It's either that or join the slush pile at Baen :(

(Not knocking Baen, BTW, but when they insist on a full and then state they take 9-12 months to reply, it doesn't exactly motivate me to put them at the top of my list!)

waylander
05-30-2007, 01:32 AM
My guess is that, as Mr Jarrold is UK-based, then sales to UK publishers are at the 15% domestic rate and sales to US publishers are at the higher foreign rate.
One of my writing group, who sometimes posts here, is a client of his. I'll ask her to drop by or someone could ask him here
http://www.chronicles-network.com/forum/10900-personal-question-s-to-john-jarrold.html

waylander
05-30-2007, 01:38 AM
There is a (very short) list of UK agents who specialise in SF/F here
http://www.chronicles-network.com/forum/8887-uk-literary-agents-who-specialise-in-science-fiction.html

Of course there are other UK agencies who represent SF/F authors but they may not be looking for any more.

Anne Lyle
05-31-2007, 08:50 PM
There is a (very short) list of UK agents who specialise in SF/F here
http://www.chronicles-network.com/forum/8887-uk-literary-agents-who-specialise-in-science-fiction.html

Of course there are other UK agencies who represent SF/F authors but they may not be looking for any more.

Thanks for that list. Interesting that PFD are on there - hopefully I'm seeing Simon Trewin at the conference, so I'll have to ask which of his colleagues are open to submissions. They've repped mainstream alt history and also Robert Jordan, but seem to be mostly non-fiction people. Still, I wouldn't balk at sharing an agent with Christopher Priest :)

waylander
05-31-2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks for that list. Interesting that PFD are on there - hopefully I'm seeing Simon Trewin at the conference, so I'll have to ask which of his colleagues are open to submissions. They've repped mainstream alt history and also Robert Jordan, but seem to be mostly non-fiction people. Still, I wouldn't balk at sharing an agent with Christopher Priest :)

Robert Kirby is the SF/F agent at PFD.
MBA should be on the list too

Anne Lyle
05-31-2007, 10:56 PM
Robert Kirby is the SF/F agent at PFD.

Yeah, I spotted Christopher Priest and Storm Constantine amongst all the celebs, but then Rosemary Canter reps Robert Jordan, so I wasn't sure. I suspect my work is a bit too genre for Simon himself - he may have signed Sophia Douglass (alt history), but there's a lot more SF&F in mine.

CaoPaux
11-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Adding link: http://www.johnjarrold.co.uk/about.html

childeroland
07-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Should one submit the six chapters to him in the body of the email or simply send an e-query?

herdon
07-09-2009, 08:20 PM
If you attach the chapters as a word document, you should be fine. I'd make sure it was a word 2000 doc. Not everyone has the newest version of word since it's pretty much rubbish ;)

Parametric
07-09-2009, 08:27 PM
If you attach the chapters as a word document, you should be fine. I'd make sure it was a word 2000 doc. Not everyone has the newest version of word since it's pretty much rubbish ;)

Word 2007 is beautiful and wondrous. :tongue

childeroland
07-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks.

herdon
07-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Word 2007 is beautiful and wondrous. :tongue

Ug. A plague on you and your family!

I've actually switched to OpenOffice.

Wonderlander
07-10-2009, 05:01 AM
He had my submission since Christmas 2008, and told me two weeks at one point, but I never got a response, even after I told him I had three UK agents wanting meetings with me. I believe he has no assistant and is a one man band.

waylander
07-11-2009, 12:27 AM
He had my submission since Christmas 2008, and told me two weeks at one point, but I never got a response, even after I told him I had three UK agents wanting meetings with me. I believe he has no assistant and is a one man band.

A very-much in demand one man band.
John is a great guy and has done very well for many of his clients, but it may be a long wait to hear from him

Wonderlander
07-12-2009, 12:44 AM
A very-much in demand one man band.
John is a great guy and has done very well for many of his clients, but it may be a long wait to hear from him

Sad but true.

Monomaniac
10-15-2009, 12:52 AM
I am trying to verify John Jarrold's email. On Publishers Marketplace it is listed as j.jarrold@btinternet.co.uk and on his website it is listed as j.jarrold@btinternet.com. Anyone know which one is correct?

Thanks

SJAB
10-15-2009, 10:35 AM
I have, .com in my contacts list from when I submitted to him.

eyeblink
10-15-2009, 10:40 AM
BT Internet is my ISP as well. The domain name is definitely btinternet.com

Monomaniac
12-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Has anyone recently recieved a query response from John? Just wondering what kind of response time I'm looking at.

ronempress
01-22-2010, 10:06 PM
I've heard nothing but good about him and I think he'd make a great agent for me, so I queried him two weeks ago. However, I cannot find any details on Query Tracker, Agent Query, his blog or website about how long to expect. I think the only reason he's on AuthorAdvance is because I put him there.... Does anyone have personal experience with his turn around time? Sleeping on these needles is uncomfortable. ;D

sciri
01-22-2010, 10:20 PM
I forget how I stumbled upon his website (http://www.johnjarrold.co.uk/about.html), but I was at first impressed and excited to see that he specializes in SF. That first impression though kind of waned when: (1) I couldn't find submission guidelines in his website; (2) I saw a paypal payment link in his website. Now, I understand he offers editorial services for which one is obviously supposed to pay, but wouldn't then the payment page also specify what his agent dues are? (e.g. the usual 15% on domestic sales, etc etc). That's my two cents from just looking at the website. Haven't tried querying him or anything.

Wayne K
01-22-2010, 10:27 PM
N.B. THE LITERARY AGENCY IS A SEPARATE BUSINESS FROM THE BOOK EDITING. PLEASE STATE WHICH SERVICE YOU ARE INTERESTED IN WHEN YOU E-MAIL ME!

I'm not an expert, but if the two are separate, why are they both on one site? Personally, I'd skip to the next name on my list.

Mr Flibble
01-22-2010, 10:29 PM
When I queried him he replied to say he'd received it and if I hadn't heard back in 6 weeks to nudge him. He was prompt and encouraging in his reply

He does both editorial services and acts as an agent - but these are separate parts of his business as far I'm aware - ie if he agrees to be your agent, you don't pay for an editorial critique

He's the agent for a couple of people on this board though, so I suspect they'll weigh in. For what it's worth I know two people who've used the editorial services and found them excellent - though that's hardly a surprise given his track record :D.

I'm not an expert, but if the two are separate, why are they both on one site? Personally, I'd skip to the next name on my list.

Because John Jarrold is kinda a legend in fantasy editing? Check the CV page

(1) I couldn't find submission guidelines in his website; Um, on the about page you linked to he says what to send to a prospective publisher / agent. Those guidelines apply to him too - basically cover letter, synopsis and first three chaps - standard in the UK.

ronempress
01-22-2010, 10:30 PM
He's legit. I've followed him for awhile, but thanks for the warning. It's always better to be a little wary. I don't particularly care for his website as it seems disorganized to me. There are guidelines listed, but you have to hunt for them. It took forever to rediscover where the links to his chat and blog rooms are as I changed computers and lost my bookmarks.... Chances are, he might have timelines listed, but my eyes get tired of staring at the computer screen.

ronempress
01-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Thanks, "Idiots"/Julia. Like your book covers, btw. :)

Mr Flibble
01-22-2010, 10:39 PM

BTW there is already a JJ thread here.

ronempress
01-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks! I just read the whole thread. :)

I DO have a confession. I USED to be well read in fantasy, but how the !@$! are you supposed to continue to be well read, research and write your own, research your agent picks AND market yourself? It's impossible. So my reading list is this Frankenstenian list of self help, fantasy, guides and book review requests. ARGHHH.

herdon
01-22-2010, 10:54 PM
The rule is to stick away from anyone who offers both agenting and editing for a fee. John Jarrold is the exception. As said above, one need only check out his credits.

He also occasionally checks into this forum: http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/publishing/

ronempress
01-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Yes, in the other thread just listed someone stated that he will do one or the other for you: edit or agent. He will not do both as it's unethical. Good on him. :)

waylander
01-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Mr Jarrold is a god
He is also a one-man-band so his response times can be long

Wayne K
01-22-2010, 11:36 PM
I didn't mean to infer that JJ isn't legit. What I meant is that if I saw the two things on one website I wouldn't have given a thought and moved to my next choice.

The OP took the time to research, and I'm glad, because all you hear about this is the horror stories.

HapiSofi
01-23-2010, 02:26 AM
Mr Jarrold is a god.
That would explain the stamina.

sciri
01-24-2010, 11:29 PM
His list of clients is certainly impressive. The website though is a little dispersive. Could be me, though. Too many years in the US...

waylander
01-24-2010, 11:42 PM

Salaris
02-16-2010, 12:38 PM
I queried Mr. Jarrold on 12/18 and have not heard back. Has anyone else heard from him recently? Any idea on his average response time? Thanks.

ronempress
02-19-2010, 10:58 PM
It was said earlier on this listing to expect 6 weeks. I think that's a tad short, given his queries include 50 pages of your ms. On a livejournal feed, I found one guy who got a personalized rejection after 189 days. I think that's likely closer to the norm. That said, let us know when you hear! I subbed him last month and my nails can't get much shorter. ;D

Salaris
02-19-2010, 11:35 PM
I sent a follow-up and he told me he had never received my initial e-mail, so I sent him the first six chapters again. Now, back to waiting. =D

ronempress
02-22-2010, 03:19 AM
Ooof. Thanks for letting me know, Salaris. That does make a difference as six weeks will have passed for me as of tomorrow. How long did you wait to follow-up?

Salaris
02-22-2010, 04:16 AM
I waited exactly two months. Best of luck!

ronempress
02-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the prompt response. I will wait two more weeks. Who needs fingernails anyway? ;D

ronempress
04-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Hi, Salaris. I Status-queried him yesterday morning at 2 London time and have not heard back. I'm beginning to wonder if he's able to get any of my emails at all....

Wish he had an auto responder on his email account. Then at least you'd know he received it.

childeroland
04-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Do you send the 50 pages pasted in the email or as an attachment?

ronempress
04-14-2010, 02:01 AM
The John Jarrold Forum states that attachments are all right: http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/publishing/.

childeroland
04-14-2010, 02:37 AM
Thanks

Salaris
04-14-2010, 09:57 AM
I have a feeling he just misses e-mails sometimes. Since I resubbed two months ago, I just followed up again to see if he ever got my files. I haven't heard back on that follow-up yet. Hope he's just busy or something.

ronempress
04-14-2010, 04:47 PM
I'm positive he IS busy. Nathan Bransford mentioned how he's receiving more queries than ever now. When will this deluge of queries stop?!

ronempress
04-17-2010, 02:53 AM
Salaris, I noticed on his blog yesterday that he's been at conventions/conferences for the past week. Hopefully he will see our status queries soon. I'm too young to have this much grey hair. ;D

waylander
04-17-2010, 02:56 AM
He was at Eastercon suffering from a really bad cold

Salaris
04-17-2010, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the updates, guys. Helps making the waiting a little easier. I'll let you know if he gets back to me. =)

ronempress
04-18-2010, 06:07 AM
Sorry to hear about the cold. Tis the season to be miserable. :( I just saw something about the London Book Fair being effected by the volcano whose name I will not attempt to spell. I wonder if John will be there, too? Between the cold and the ash, I hope he can BREATHE.

ronempress
06-12-2010, 12:43 AM
For anyone who is interested, I just visited John's site and it's received an overhaul. Looks nice and much more readable. There's also a submission form which will be nice. I'm assuming he never received my query six months ago and I'll resub once I return from next week's conference. ;D

Filigree
05-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Has anyone heard from Mr. Jarrold lately? I queried a few months ago, and I wonder if he even got it.

Broadswordbabe
05-19-2011, 01:21 PM
He's been busy, but he's usually good at responding. If you haven't heard in several months, I don't think a polite nudge would go amiss.

Anne Lyle
05-19-2011, 02:58 PM
I haven't heard back from John either, re a submission I sent back in September. If I didn't already have an agent, I would definitely have emailed him by now to find out if it had gone astray. That's the trouble with e-submissions, especially when attachments are involved - you can never be certain they even arrived at their destination.

(The same is true for snail-mail, of course, but at least there you can blame the Post Office. Emails can just disappear into the ether en route...)

Kmarshall
05-19-2011, 05:11 PM
I just submitted to him last week. Robert Jordan was my hero!

herdon
05-20-2011, 07:25 PM
He used to be a regular at a UK writing forum, but I've since lost the web address to it. I know I sent him a PM there once and got a rather quick reply.

waylander
05-20-2011, 07:27 PM
http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/

Anne Lyle
05-21-2011, 12:48 PM
John hasn't been on SFF Chronicles much of late - I can't remember the last time he posted...

CH1
06-20-2011, 01:04 AM
Hi all,
I was thinking of submitting to John and was just wondering if there were any updates on time etc

Anne Lyle
06-20-2011, 01:30 AM
No idea, sorry! If I bump into him at AltFiction this coming weekend, I'll try and remember to ask him - I think he might be going but they don't post a member list like some conventions do.

SJAB
06-20-2011, 01:35 AM
No idea, sorry! If I bump into him at AltFiction this coming weekend, I'll try and remember to ask him - I think he might be going but they don't post a member list like some conventions do.

Anne, he is down for a couple of panels on the Saturday...

Anne Lyle
06-20-2011, 01:52 AM
Ah, I thought I'd seen his name on there somewhere! Doh!

I haven't spoken to John since NewCon 4, when I asked him if he could put me back in touch with my old mate Stephen Deas, so I'm probably overdue to say hi again :)

Filigree
06-20-2011, 07:51 AM
I'd queried him back in February. Since it's been four months, I figured he wasn't interested. I'm still fence-sitting on whether to give him an update on my project (publisher interest).

How is he as an agent?

Anne Lyle
06-20-2011, 10:14 AM
I never heard back from him, either, but he's not a non-responder by policy. I wonder if my sub went astray...

I'm led to believe he's a pretty hands-on agent - he has editorial experience. He seems pleasant enough in person. Beyond that, I really don't know. He's certainly one of the top UK agents for SFF, and a very busy man!

CH1
06-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Thank you Anne, keep us updated if you do bump into him.

Anne Lyle
06-26-2011, 11:10 PM
Hi all!

I managed to corner John J on his way out of a panel. He said that he aims to respond to queries within 3-4 weeks, but at the moment it's more like 3 months. If you have been waiting longer than that for a response, please nudge him and he will endeavour to reply within 7 days.

I did also overhear him telling someone that he rejects 29 out of 30 submissions within the first page, so he's a tough audience!

Good luck!

waylander
06-26-2011, 11:28 PM
John is a god....but an overworked one who has no office help

Filigree
06-27-2011, 05:55 AM
I'll nudge him, then.

CH1
06-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Thank you for the updates

CH1
08-04-2011, 12:16 AM
Hi all,
has anyone heard from or spoken to John Jarrold recently?
I submitted to him one week ago, and I had no confirmation back from him. So as per the submission guidelines on his site:
"If your submission is not confirmed within 24 hours, please follow up by e-mail to ensure Iíve received it. Thanks!"
I sent a follow up email, but still no confirmation.
I know, by reading this thread that John is a very busy man, should I leave it longer, or email again?

Thanks in advance.

Nexus
08-04-2011, 01:28 AM
Was it an e-query?

LMAO.

Snail mail gets my bet.

CH1
08-04-2011, 01:34 AM
Email as per the submission guidelines on his site

Filigree
08-04-2011, 05:39 AM
He never answered an e-query from February, and I wrote it off as no-interest.

Gravity
08-04-2011, 06:10 AM
I got an R from Mr. Jarrolds in a three-day turnaround. He must have hated it.

Anne Lyle
08-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Hi all,
has anyone heard from or spoken to John Jarrold recently?
I submitted to him one week ago, and I had no confirmation back from him. So as per the submission guidelines on his site:
"If your submission is not confirmed within 24 hours, please follow up by e-mail to ensure Iíve received it. Thanks!"
I sent a follow up email, but still no confirmation.
I know, by reading this thread that John is a very busy man, should I leave it longer, or email again?

One week is nothing in agent time! He could be on holiday, at a conference, working flat out on an important deadline, or whatever. I would leave at least a month before chasing a non-confirmation, to give him time to go through his inbox.

Gravity was probably just (un)lucky in submitting on a day when he had some free time!

CH1
08-04-2011, 12:53 PM
I didn't think of holidays etc, thanks for the reply Anne, you know what it's like, I'm at the panic stage :)

Sorry to hear Gravity, I hope you find a home for it.

Anne Lyle
08-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Heh, yeah, I remember that stage all too well!

Kmarshall
08-18-2011, 06:49 PM
I JUST sent a follow up. He says on his website to follow up if he doesn't acknowledge receipt after a few days. Gravity, was that recent.

CH1
08-24-2011, 09:01 PM
Any updates Kmarshall?
Did you get an acknowledgement?

Kmarshall
08-25-2011, 01:39 AM
No, but it's vacation time in Europe.

lauralam
08-30-2011, 02:09 AM
Does anyone have any submission guidelines advice for John Jarrold? I've got a draft of a covering letter that clocks in at 150 words, but it seems to follow the guidelines stated on his site.

Coming up with similar titles was really hard. I kept thinking of something that was somewhat similar, but not enough that I felt confident mentioning it. Not sure if that's a good sign or not ;)

Anne Lyle
08-30-2011, 07:39 AM
Sorry, no - I didn't hear back from John J, and didn't chase him because I already had interest from John Berlyne.

CH1
08-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Congratulations Anne, all the best with it

Anne Lyle
08-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks! I've met John J, he's a nice guy, but I think John B is more on my wavelength. Good luck with your own hunt!

CH1
08-30-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks Anne

PeteMC
09-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Has anyone queried John Jarrold lately? I see P&E have him listed as "Not recommended" but I've no idea why.

Anninyn
09-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Has anyone queried John Jarrold lately? I see P&E have him listed as "Not recommended" but I've no idea why.

Not sure why, either. He's got a lot of sales reported on wesbites and reps people I've heard of. It might be because he ALSO runs a freelance editing service, which is often a red flag - though in Johns case he doesn't offer representation to people he'd edited and won't edit people he represents.

Of course, it may be for a completely different reason, and I know someone behind P+E is around here, so maybe they'll say why.

waylander
09-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Can't imagine why there would be a 'not recommended' for John. He's one of the top agents in the UK for SF/F

PeteMC
09-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Well that's what I thought, and I've only ever heard good things about him so it struck me as odd to say the least.

TR Dillon
09-04-2012, 04:54 PM
I queried him on a SF novel last year, and did not hear back, so I nudged him. He responded to the nudge, but never responded to my query, which I assumed meant he wasn't interested. So in my case at least he wasn't very responsive.

CaoPaux
01-23-2013, 06:41 AM
Updating link: http://www.johnjarrold.co.uk/

Anne Lyle
02-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Seems odd to me as well - several of my writer friends are repped by him, and I've never heard anything bad about him. The only thing against him is that he can be very slow to respond to queries, as he has a substantial client list that keeps him very busy. I've had more luck talking to him at conventions than via email! (Though I already have an agent - I was asking for a friend.)

Maybe someone at P&E wasn't aware that he's one of the UK's most highly regarded SFF agents with a long track record in the business?

Filigree
02-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Dave, if you're lurking, can you in general terms clarify P&E's rating of Jarrold? I asked Colin Smythe (Terry Pratchett's agent) a couple of years ago about UK agents, and he said Jarrold was solid. A bit slow, very busy, and very choosy, but well-regarded.

williemeikle
02-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Dave, if you're lurking, can you in general terms clarify P&E's rating of Jarrold? I asked Colin Smythe (Terry Pratchett's agent) a couple of years ago about UK agents, and he said Jarrold was solid. A bit slow, very busy, and very choosy, but well-regarded.

I'll second that. John is one of the good guys. He reps several friends of mine and they won't hear a bad word said about him.

waylander
02-02-2013, 12:31 AM
John Jarrold does do paid editing/book doctoring, but keeps this entirely separate from the agenting business. I can only think that this is seen a suspect by whoever is deciding on the P&E ratings. I am generally a supporter of P&E, but in this case they are in error.

The_Burning_Quill
04-12-2013, 12:15 PM
I see on his website that he says he doesn't take Y.A. scripts and that he is Adult Fantasy only.

This leaves me in a bit of a problem as my MS is something of a hybrid which straddles Urban Fantasy but with Y.A. range protagonists. I wrote it with adult readers in mind but have got feedback from my beta readers that it works equally well as a Y.A. novel.

My question is, if I submit it to J.J. as a Urban Fantasy (which it is), will he pass because it has teenage protagonists, even if it has complex, adult themes?

Filigree
04-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Try it and see.

triceretops
04-12-2013, 09:49 PM
Yep, you can only try it and see what he thinks.

Paul
04-13-2013, 04:36 AM
John Jarrold does do paid editing/book doctoring, but keeps this entirely separate from the agenting business. I can only think that this is seen a suspect by whoever is deciding on the P&E ratings. I am generally a supporter of P&E, but in this case they are in error.

agree.

I see on his website that he says he doesn't take Y.A. scripts and that he is Adult Fantasy only.

This leaves me in a bit of a problem as my MS is something of a hybrid which straddles Urban Fantasy but with Y.A. range protagonists. I wrote it with adult readers in mind but have got feedback from my beta readers that it works equally well as a Y.A. novel.

My question is, if I submit it to J.J. as a Urban Fantasy (which it is), will he pass because it has teenage protagonists, even if it has complex, adult themes?
'try it', but extremely unlikely, however if it is adult in it's approach, (gritty n smart, JJ likes work like Dresden or Reacher AFAIK) ,then he might.

The_Burning_Quill
04-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I dropped John an email asking if it was OK and he said to submit and he would add it to the agency reading. He got back to me within the same day (remarkable).

The subject matter is quite gritty and 'adult' (somewhat similar to Dresden) so I thought it would be fine. I'm glad I checked with him first, though, rather than just sent it.