PDA

View Full Version : Mentoring

Unique
09-10-2006, 04:26 AM
Have you ever had a mentor?
Ever wanted one?
Where do you find one if you do want one?

Just perenially curious.

tjwriter
09-10-2006, 04:34 AM
I've wanted a mentor for writing, but with my schedule being as it is, I just don't think I could do that to someone.

I'd like a mentor for other things, but because of the reason above, ...

Pearls and Tea
09-10-2006, 04:51 AM
No, I've never had a mentor.
Yes, I've wanted one for writing.
I think once I begin taking some writing courses I just might find one. Positive thinking. (wink)

drevil915
09-10-2006, 04:52 AM
I just got an internship at a small production house because I want to go to film school. I have one designated mentor, but I think the guys I'm working with down in the editing suites will be my main guidance.

-Jason

jbal
09-10-2006, 04:53 AM
You are all my mentors. And thank you.

Alan Yee
09-10-2006, 05:09 AM
All the people (both on and off AW) who've answered my questions, gave me publishing-related advice, and talked about their personal experiences are my mentors. Thank you, everybody.

Perks
09-10-2006, 05:30 AM
I have one and it has made me as a writer. The tricky part is finding someone whose commentary launches right into that brain space where the work is done. I don't think that happens very often. Every now and again, I'm actually in the right place at the right time. ;)

robeiae
09-10-2006, 05:44 AM
My mentor has been dead for almost 2,240 years. He's not very good at critiques...

drevil915
09-10-2006, 05:49 AM
My mentor has been dead for almost 2,240 years. He's not very good at critiques...

Yikes.

Perks
09-10-2006, 05:50 AM
Ah... that's why Rob always assumes he's right. I get it now.

persiphone_hellecat
09-10-2006, 07:02 AM
I had one in college ... I miss him. He was awesome. Pushed me and challenged me constantly...

whistlelock
09-10-2006, 12:16 PM
I'm my own mentor. I'm also my own grandpa.

Unique
09-10-2006, 08:56 PM
I had one in college ... I miss him. He was awesome. Pushed me and challenged me constantly...

That's what they're supposed to do - (so I hear)

Anyone in the business world have one?

I think it would be a wonderful thing. But how does one acquire one without having one assigned to you by someone else?

In other ventures I hear about them constantly but what I don't hear is - where do you get one? Yellow Pages? Want Ad? Stand on the back porch and yell?

earthshoes
09-10-2006, 09:11 PM
I've had one writing mentor, though I don't know if he knew it or not. He did a lot of figurative hand holding through my last book and encouraging me to stay the course etc.

TeddyG
09-10-2006, 09:13 PM
In other ventures I hear about them constantly but what I don't hear is - where do you get one? Yellow Pages? Want Ad? Stand on the back porch and yell?

I am sooooooooooooo tempted...so tempted...
but I will be good...even if it is the cat..

Unique
09-10-2006, 09:14 PM
I am sooooooooooooo tempted...so tempted...
but I will be good...even if it is the cat..

If it's a real answer go ahead and tell me.

If it's a smart*ss answer, send me a PM. :D

TeddyG
09-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Actually it was of course a smart arse answer..how could it not be?
BUT
I have had this discussion before with someone else at AW whom I respect...
and I disagree .. I dont think a mentor really works for a lot of people...(It may work for you..as it does for that other person)
It certainly never worked for me

I write, put it in, and let the editor tell me whats wrong or right...
but then again I am stubborn, pigheaded and lazy as all hell...

And I hate doing crits etc...

So for some Mentors are great..for people like me they are an exercise in futility...but then again that is not just in writing...

Unique
09-10-2006, 09:45 PM
I could see where trying to be your mentor would have a very large PITA factor. Have you ever been a mentor to someone else?

And I wasn't just asking about writing in particular - any kind of mentoring relationship would do; I really want to know where and how people found mentors.

writerterri
09-10-2006, 09:50 PM

Jesus?

He was a carpenter, so...

Bamponang
09-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Have you ever had a mentor - Yes. My former boss grew to be my mentor. He didn't read/critique my writing- rather, he taught me how to analyse government policy to see potential impact on interest groups. Through him, I learnt to love legal writing.

It was not formal mentoring relationship. He hired me to do a job and along the way, the mentoring happened.

Ever wanted one - not necessarily. When I realised I could learn from him, I took advantage of the oportunities. He was happy to share.

Where to go to find one - I don't know. I was mentored and have been a mentor in the workplace.

You can also ask an auhor your respect to mentor you, or even win one in a competition.

An acquitance of mine won a 12-month mentorship opportunity with a famous American author ( you'd know who if I mentioned her name here) through a UN funded programme.

While I was impressed by the fact that a writer of such high stature was going to work with my acquintance on her novel, I thought a similar arrangement would not work for me. I respect the author, but I don't understand/like her writing.

Unique
09-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Thanks, Bamponang. I remember you mentioning your boss in another thread. I wish each of us could have at least one boss like that in a lifetime.

Wow and Hurrah! for your friend. A contest to win a mentorship would be some prime motivation for me. Just ... wow.

StoryG27
09-10-2006, 11:06 PM
Hmm, wining a mentor.

Could we gather all the published authors here and have a mentor raffle?

Unique
09-10-2006, 11:07 PM
Hmm, wining a mentor.

Could we gather all the published authors here and have a mentor raffle?

T'would be nice. But they know us now. Who'd volunteer? ;)

StoryG27
09-10-2006, 11:07 PM
True.

Bamponang
09-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Wow and Hurrah! for your friend. A contest to win a mentorship would be some prime motivation for me. Just ... wow.

Assuming the association does you much good beyond having a famous author read your work.

robeiae
09-11-2006, 01:26 AM
Jesus?

He was a carpenter, so...
Math's not your strong suit, I take it... :D

writerterri
09-11-2006, 02:36 AM
Math's not your strong suit, I take it... :D

I can divide pizza by 5, that's about it.

But was I close?

Jesus died about 2,000 and some odd years ago, but he would know a lot about ms, so :tongue

aadams73
09-11-2006, 03:09 AM

Zenodotus? I wouldn't have minded his job!

DamaNegra
09-11-2006, 03:10 AM
Jesus died about 2,000 and some odd years ago, but he would know a lot about ms, so
Yeah but he wasn't 234 years old when he died :D

writerterri
09-11-2006, 05:43 AM
Yeah but he wasn't 234 years old when he died :D

No, he was 33.

DamaNegra
09-11-2006, 05:46 AM
No, he was 33.

Lol, I know that. But Rob said his mentor had died 2240 years ago, so Jesus would've been 234 years old when he died if he had been Rob's mentor.

Or something. I get confused if the calendar was counted from his birth or his death.

writerterri
09-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Lol, I know that. But Rob said his mentor had died 2240 years ago, so Jesus would've been 234 years old when he died if he had been Rob's mentor.

Or something. I get confused if the calendar was counted from his birth or his death.

That's why I need you around. Lord knows I can't count that far back with out a calculator.