A good writing exercise...

Samuel Dark

Registered
Reaction score
When your writing, you often have to add details -- but how should you describe a certain scene? What will best add to your story? Ever wanted a creative way to practice this? Then here you go:

Whenever your driving, walking, running, swimming...whatever, always think of what's going on. How would this scene be told in your book? What details are needed and what aren't? Doing this daily can help you if you need help in this area, and it might just be fun to do someday. I use to do it a lot, but have stopped. I think, actually, I might start up. Writing/thinking about made me remember the fun....:-D

Anyway, I rambled there. Try it if you'd like. And, for the fun of it, tell about it whenever you get the chance here. :-D

Also, if you have another way to practice details, please post it here. (or post a link to where you have done so). Or don't, doesn't matter.

cree

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I thought writers did this naturally... not as a special exercise. I even find myself doing it while brushing my teeth, sitting in board meetings, walking the dog and studying cracks in the sidewalk, etc etc. It's not a conscious effort, it just happens. Not so for other writerly types?

Samuel Dark

Registered
Reaction score
cree said:
Honestly, I thought writers did this naturally... not as a special exercise. I even find myself doing it while brushing my teeth, sitting in board meetings, walking the dog and studying cracks in the sidewalk, etc etc. It's not a conscious effort, it just happens. Not so for other writerly types?

Well, I didn't do it all the time, but maybe others do. Oh well. :-D

cree

Registered
Reaction score
But you've really brought up an interesting thing: how do writers do this? How much do we consciously visualize everyday life from the perspective of A Writer?
For me, I walk around debating in my head whether the word "murmur" would be better than the word "whisper" in this line or that sentence. I'll stop and pick up a random scrap of paper/a flower from someone's front yard/a specific sound like an ambulance and try to describe it (not out loud, I'm not that far gone yet :).
Then, I figure out how, with black letters printed on white paper, to make a reader visualize exactly what I am seeing. Capturing exactly what my character is experiencing at that moment, with words as the art form.
That's mostly how I walk around through life.
I better watch out for those city buses. :)

Reaction score
NY - Out on "The Island" spring and summer - in HE
Samuel? May I make a good suggestion to you? There are many good games running here, quite actively. Before you start new ones, it might be a good idea for you to get involved in some of the running ones -- kind of get to know us and how we work. In fact, there are so many running now that many have been bumped to page two. Check them out, revive a couple if something interests you. You will find many interesting ones. Many of us are playing so many now that it's getting confusing... No offense but that's the truth. Join some of ours ... always happy to have new players. It actually sounds like you might enjoy games like Essences and some of the others... Check them out. Persi