PAMB and its quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Why hasn't the general public turned to self-published books with glad cries?

Because no one reads slush for fun.

People DO read slush for fun. But nobody is going to BUY slush to read for fun.

It seems to me if the PA authors feel there books are the coming wave why don't they band together and ALL buy the same book each month.

Then they could claim that a 'growing number' of PA books are getting sales in the tens of thousands, that might get that particular book stocked in bookstores for a little while anyway, til the returns come back, though they might actually generate some sales.

Regards,
Scott

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I don't think that they'd get sales in the tens of thousands, because my guess is that of the 20,000 happy authors in excess of 15,000 wish today that they'd never heard the name "PublishAmerica."

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The big retailers should feel required to offer a forum for POD/self published authors as they continue to drive out independent bookstores. When an idependent closes, the open arms they had for new authors is replaced by the often closed door of the major corporate chain. The independent store and authors needed each other, the big chains are almost just the retail arm of the publishers and their policies almost directly reflect that defacto status.
"Feel required"? Why? Because they wont stock your PA book? No independent bookstore I know will stock a PA book, even from a local author. The big chains and the publishers are in a symbiotic relationship, they do need each other but are hardly "just the retail arm of the publishers"
Again, I see that sense of entitlement, like being "published" by PA puts them in the same league as STEPHEN KING and JOHN GRISHAM and all the other authors who'd been rejected countless times and/or self-pubbed before Making It Big (depending on your mythology), thereby requiring B&N, Borders, etc., to sell their books. Just because your product is out there doesn't mean anybody is obligated to sell it, especially once they get a load of the terms offered by the manufacturer. But then, we get into the circular logic of "bookstores don't sell books, but I demand they sell mine" and I have to step off the ride at that point.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think that they'd get sales in the tens of thousands, because my guess is that of the 20,000 happy authors in excess of 15,000 wish today that they'd never heard the name "PublishAmerica."

You're probably right.

I noted some folks on another board bemoaning those folks who post against PA by saying "who are these people, and they don't care about my book."

I thought well who should care about their book? Certainly the publisher should and a publisher shows that care by investing in the book and expecting that investment to pay off in public sales.

PA obviously doesn't care about anybody's book because they invest literally nothing more than the set-up cost and the ISBN#. That's because they expect no one to buy it but the author. They simply don't put their money where their is.

Regards,
Scott

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
from the PAMB

There are many rewards that come with having a book published by P.A.-- they take time however but that is the reason I always say: "A book from P.A is like the gift that keeps on giving." You'll see
icon_wink.gif

Like herpes.

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever wondered why it is that well known entertainment industry personalities and politicians seem to get large advances for writing a book? ....

.... He, being the wonderful philanthropist that he is, writes a check to the publisher for twelve million dollars, which they agree will be used to pay H an advance on her/his book. There is nothing wrong with financing a book business deal. The publisher is now assured it won’t lose on the deal. The publisher then writes a ten million dollar advance check to H, money that is now free from the restraints of federal campaign finance laws.

G.S. now owns a politician, H is happy with her/his political donation (oops, read that “book advance”), and the book publisher just made two million on the deal..

This is what happens when you run out of straws to clutch at.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Title of PAMB thread, “Open call for comments on the "Book" business!”

http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=20461&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

I must say that reading these posts is quite an eye opener. With things stacked against us as they are, perhaps a change in direction would be the best course of action. Would we find the same circumstances if we wrote screen plays?

:e2thud:

If you aren't successful writing a book then it must be easier, much easier, getting a screenplay read and picked up by a major motion picture company. Hey, no one is doing that these days, are they? Oh wait, there is a “famous” PA book being made into a movie. It’s called “Vortex of Revelation”.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49795

Be sure to catch the trailer. I watch it whenever I need a good laugh. It's post #12 in the above thread.

Last edited:

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
this PA author is breaking my heart

http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=20473

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:01 pm Post subject: It's All Worked Out! Thank you Jesus!

I went to my first book signing store and talked to the lady in charge. My sweet dear autistic husband...wrote everything out for me. We showed her on paper how I was losing money. She said, "No business can go very long losing money. I'll just raise the price." I have decided for the first time I am going to pocket the money from just this book signing. I will make $11.07 per book and it costs me $10.97 per book to order. So, if I recycle the earnings I make in order to get more books for book signings like I have so far I would only make 10 cents which is a lot better than losing $2.00 per book. I figure as hard as we have been working to sell the books we deserved to reap some of the benefits.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
If you aren't successful writing a book then it must be easier, much easier, getting a screenplay read and picked up by a major motion picture company.

Well, everyone knows movies are much cheaper to produce than books. Why, I bet a movie like Pirates of the Caribbean only cost a couple thousand bucks to produce.

So G.S. goes to a book publisher and makes a deal. He, being the wonderful philanthropist that he is, writes a check to the publisher for twelve million dollars, which they agree will be used to pay H an advance on her/his book. There is nothing wrong with financing a book business deal. The publisher is now assured it won’t lose on the deal. The publisher then writes a ten million dollar advance check to H, money that is now free from the restraints of federal campaign finance laws.

Wow. Did this person just flat out make this up, or are they claiming they actually read this somewhere?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Wow. Did this person just flat out make this up, or are they claiming they actually read this somewhere?

That's more nonsense out of the We-Hate-Hillary camp. No one could possibly have wanted to publish her book, and no one could possibly have wanted to read it, so therefore it must have been an elaborate way to bribe her. Because she's just that sneaky and evil.

(G.S. is meant to represent George Soros.)

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I must say that reading these posts is quite an eye opener. With things stacked against us as they are, perhaps a change in direction would be the best course of action. Would we find the same circumstances if we wrote screen plays?

If Sherry ever stumbles across that, she'll be soon be in touch.

And the only thing stacked against most of them is their refusal to grasp the sheer hard graft it takes to succeed in either medium, and I don't mean wearing out the soles of their shoes.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
If Sherry ever stumbles across that, she'll be soon be in touch.

And the only thing stacked against most of them is their refusal to grasp the sheer hard graft it takes to succeed in either medium, and I don't mean wearing out the soles of their shoes.

What?

emsuniverse

Back to freelancing again...
Registered
Reaction score
I had my book signing and it went really well. The news was there and even though it was brief, I was on the 11 PM news. They annoucned I had sold out in the first half hour, which I did. I brought two very large trays of iced cookies and make word scramble sheets pertaining to my book. I made a lollipop tree, magnets and made up flyers to hand out. I sent all the Peach Street Characters (in which they all wore T shirts to identify themselves) outside of the store to hand out my flyers.

I had a great time. Smile

This is why I sold out...I found out the manager had only ordered 15 books, because Ingrams has Publishamerica marked as "unreturnable" and POD.
Of course I immediately and nicely explained that they ARE retunrable. I said that Ingram may not have that in their system yet and that I think in January they became "returnable". I really didn't know how to explain that. Anyone run into this this little problem?

Just wondering

Haven't we been through this? NOT RETURNABLE, no matter what day it is. Sorry. Wrong number. You're screwed.

Next...

Original Post:
My book was made available online today, it's 500 pages long and is $34.95 on the online bookstore. I was just wondering if there are any others out there who had a book $30 and over and has that price ever been a problem when trying to sell it? Thanks. Christian.

Replies:
I am sure there are other books, but Lost in the Mist of Time retails for $34.95. It is 550 pages and soft cover.
I will admit that PA books are a little pricey, but also if people want the book they will pay the price for it.
I will also point out the PA books are some of the best in the industry.
Our book covers are far superior to other publishing houses.
The quailty of paper and ink is better than most publishing houses. and the binding is of excellent quality. So, if you want quality then you pay for quality.

I saw a sign one time that sums it all up, it said "good food isnt cheap and cheap food isnt good" now that same saying holds true for books.

If you purchase a book from other publishers that is a few years old the pages start to yellow, but not with PA. It will look the same five years down the road as it does now, because of the POD technology they use.

Dont concern yourself with price, just know you have a much better product than most. People will pay for quality, if they didnt then how did PA stay in business this long.

I spit out soda reading that. It's just... wrong.

It is best to place your trust in P A and they will not let you down...They are brilliant and if they cannot give you a good decision - no one can

I won't even make a comment on that, except to say I won't read the PAMB with Coke can in hand anymore because of the spewing while laughing/being astonished.

I felt my first book was overpriced at first. I found out later that folks will pay the price if they feel the book is something they want to read. I have sold over 400 @ the price of $29.95. I have sold 200 of my second book @ the price of $19.95 and waiting for my 3rd. book to be published.

400 and 200? Is this lady serious? Do PA people really sell that much?

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Haven't we been through this? NOT RETURNABLE, no matter what day it is. Sorry. Wrong number. You're screwed. . . .
I wonder if the bookstore manager "nicely explained" that PublishAmerica lied.

One might think those poor dupes would figure out that bookstore personnel, who deal with these kinds of things for a living day in and day out, know their business.

--Ken

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
I wonder if the bookstore manager "nicely explained" that PublishAmerica lied.

One might think those poor dupes would figure out that bookstore personnel, who deal with these kinds of things for a living day in and day out, know their business.

--Ken

But Ken,

Don't you know bookstores are the worst places to sell books? It must be true, because it was in Meiner's book.

Julia

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I've got a bunch of Avon paperbacks going back as far as 1988 - the only discoloration is where I've spilled coffee on them. And these are books that I've read a zillion times...

Oh, but Research Guy, don't you know? The booksellers have sided with the "bad guys" of publishing - the <gasp> traditional houses :) That's why they won't stock PA books.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. I went to B&N today and the copy of 'Elements of Style' was right were the clerk said it would be. All those other 1000's of books were so distracting, too, like candy in bright wrappers. And all those damn people, in there looking and buying --what's wrong with them? Don't they know about the internet? It would be so much easier to buy books if there weren't so many people in my way.

If those people don't stop going there, bookstores will never die like I keep hearing about. That's just wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

e.dashwood

Registered
Reaction score
I love going to Barnes and Noble the week before Christmas, because I get to spend at least a half-hour waiting to get to the cash register with all the other folks not buying books.

It's even more fun to show up to an empty store when the latest Harry Potter arrives.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Infoblow states:

After a 3-year hiatus PublishAmerica is again accepting submissions for full-color books.

Veddy Interesting. I've never seen a full color childrens's book by PA. I don't think hiatus has anything to do with it. I think now that they have their own presses, and they can cut down on the cost of color production, they've opened up a whole new can of whoop ass for themselves.

What better market to gouge (for increased sales, or prop up lagging sales) than the children's book authors? Now, that, is a whopping writer's demographic.

What are your opinions on this? Why are they taking full color books now, if it isn't because they can control the production on them?

Or, are they so hard up for marks/writers that they will still use LS as the printer for even these editions?

Will there be price adjustments in some area and where?

Full color children's books must have some kind of minimum page count. It would be interesting to find information out on how this process is defined according to PA

Hmmm. Just thought of something. Full color books might be non-fiction reference and coffee table type books, too. Is color the magic word for PA now?

Those sneaky bastids. Something's up.

Tri

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
Infoblow states:

After a 3-year hiatus PublishAmerica is again accepting submissions for full-color books.

Veddy Interesting. I've never seen a full color childrens's book by PA. I don't think hiatus has anything to do with it. I think now that they have their own presses, and they can cut down on the cost of color production, they've opened up a whole new can of whoop ass for themselves.

What better market to gouge (for increased sales, or prop up lagging sales) than the children's book authors? Now, that, is a whopping writer's demographic.

What are your opinions on this? Why are they taking full color books now, if it isn't because they can control the production on them?

Or, are they so hard up for marks/writers that they will still use LS as the printer for even these editions?

Will there be price adjustments in some area and where?

Full color children's books must have some kind of minimum page count. It would be interesting to find information out on how this process is defined according to PA

Hmmm. Just thought of something. Full color books might be non-fiction reference and coffee table type books, too. Is color the magic word for PA now?

Those sneaky bastids. Something's up.

Tri

It hink it's a combination of what you said. This weeks releases only lists 58 books. I'd like to think that sites like AW have something to do with their slow down.

So they are looking for new victims. With their own printer, they can control costs (read: Lie about how many were sold to increase profits), and everyone's auntie El has a book that her grandson illustrated that is just wonderful.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
They formerly did full-color books. Then they stopped accepting them: notice all the beg-a-thon letters from PA urging authors to buy their own books that have the note about how full-color books aren't included in the discount.

I think the setup costs from Lightning Source were beyond what PA was willing to pay.

I expect that we can figure out from this exactly what model POD machine they got. It'll be fun to watch to see how long it can go between breakdowns.

For all you full-color-children's-book authors out there who are thinking of this: keep careful count of how many copies of your book get sold (to Aunt Mabel or whoever) and see if your royalty statements are even within shouting range. Running their own printer is an invitation to fraud, not that they've needed a big invitation in the past.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Four-color printing? In quantity? On their own presses?

That's not like them. Why would they want to own their own setup? Four-color printing is complex and expensive, you need trained staff to run the system, and the machinery's prone to break down. Also, if they aren't running a bindery line, they'll have to be shipping cartons of printed sheets to a bindery, which is a big headache.

It makes far more sense to cut a deal with a color printer in the Far East. It adds shipping time to your production cycle, and you can't send an employee down to the plant to check the color balance, but it's the sensible, economical way to go.

The only other way I can imagine them handling four-color printing would be to lease a color copier and charge their clients through the nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.