PAMB and its quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if they got free book from PA in return for their loyalty. The pipe smoker should know better; he is a combat vetern and had a small career in mystery writing going before he got involved with PA.
Did his newest book get rejected by PA? Some of the chat over there seems to indicate it. I could be mistaken...

TracySutterer & GaryRogers

Coffee Fanatics
Registered
Reaction score
She Is Very Elderly

Saundra Julian:

The French woman that you speak of is elderly and the on-line life keeps her in good health and spirits. I can only speak from my own experiences with elderly people, that is, if the PAMB and the cook-outs keep her on on planet Earth - not succumbing to the grip of the Spirit In The Sky - so be it.

On the other hand, “absolute power corrupts absolutly” and she uses that power to control the PAMB’s. She is the first one to “pipe-up” when she feels that one of her “dear-ones” is being mistreated; and usually gets her facts wrong (I called her on a few inconsistent facts about a controversial topic).

May she “live long and prosper”.

Gary Rogers

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
I understand that, Gary. Just putting in my .02...I also wish her good health and a long life!

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
From http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=20408
I just found out today from a friend that they ordered two copies of my book over a month ago. They recieved one copy and called to inquire in regards to the other and they were told the order was canceled by the vendor... B&N.

Its hard enough trying to make sales on your own but to have someone interested in buying your book and then they cancel the order!?

B&N sucks.

So, it's B&N's fault that PA didn't send the order? Uh. . . .

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
From http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=20408

So, it's B&N's fault that PA didn't send the order? Uh. . . .

Of course it's the bookstore's fault. Don't you know bookstores are the worst place to sell your books?

And didn't you know that there is a conspiracy between the big publishers and bookstores to keep PA books from the customers?

Did I miss any of excuses not to blame PA?

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Of course it's the bookstore's fault. Don't you know bookstores are the worst place to sell your books?

And didn't you know that there is a conspiracy between the big publishers and bookstores to keep PA books from the customers?

Did I miss any of excuses not to blame PA?

Umm... let's see.... nope, I can't think of any others...

I have to admit, I am still baffled by the thought of only 25% of books being sold through bookstores... there's a Borders, a Walden, and Barnes & Noble, all within a mile of each other and they all seem to be thriving...

is it just me?

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
Umm... let's see.... nope, I can't think of any others...

I have to admit, I am still baffled by the thought of only 25% of books being sold through bookstores... there's a Borders, a Walden, and Barnes & Noble, all within a mile of each other and they all seem to be thriving...

is it just me?

The problem with statistics is that people throw them around without defining terms. I have a feeling that the sales are not all retail.

Are they counting text books? Or even library books? Books printed and sold for a closed market, such as corporate training? I work for a large school district, and you would not believe the amount of books we go through each year. Technical books which were never intended for bookstores?

For all we know, they could be counting everything with an isbn number.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
"All books with an ISBN" includes books by vanity publishers.

I know - but they wouldn't be sold through bookstores... I was more or less thinking out loud. (and apparently having a blonde moment as well :) ) but that would inflate their "stats", as compared to a Harlequin doing some sort of bookstores vs other venues poll.

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
I know - but they wouldn't be sold through bookstores... I was more or less thinking out loud. (and apparently having a blonde moment as well :) ) but that would inflate their "stats", as compared to a Harlequin doing some sort of bookstores vs other venues poll.

And that is why you need to question statistics presented without definitions.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
XXXX, I sure would not want you to teach me either math or how to do my due dilligence. There are over 12,000 books on the topic of Autism, on amazon.com many have been written by people with more consanants after ther name than I have letters in mine. As to the subject of adult autism, there are almost 700 books on the subject on amazon.com, you book being one of them. Your book is neither special nor unique in the eyes of the purchasing public. When the honeymoon phase is over and your friends, immediate circle and family have bought all the copies they had been guilted into (we all did the same thing) Then if you are not careful your sales will dry up as fast as they had first come.

http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?p=231470#231470

I posted the quote (since I don't see it lasting) and the thread link. This is a sad case. The person I quoted is catching on, but the others haven't yet.

Sparhawk

Jenna's Cabana Boy
Registered
Reaction score

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Apparently the book is a straight memoir, or biography of her husband's desease. That's okay, I believe. But I would think that a regular publisher would want more of a platform in writing about this topic. The author even admits to being confused about the subject, and wished to put it in laymen's terms for the general reading public. You've got to be very careful with non-fiction books that involve medicine and other core sciences--they require bona fide knowledge, and at least some type of celebrity noteriety, with pre-published articles or speaking engagements. Platform is everything here. I still wish her well with that book signing.

Tri

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
They are counting everything with an ISBN, including bound copies of the annual report from the Board of Fisheries.
My more-or-less former employer, a state government agency, published reports with ISBNs. But we never sold them. And as far as I know, no one ever reported how many were distributed in print or via website downloads.

It would be interesting to know what goes into the statistics and precisely what the sources are. But folks need to keep in mind that books are sold not only in trade bookstores (B&N and the like, as well as independents), but by way of:

--Book clubs (Literary Guild, Scientific American Book Club, and many more)
--Warehouse stores (Costco and so on)
--Grocery stores, convenience stores, and so on
--Direct sales by publishers, including vast numbers to public and private schools and school districts, as well as sales to government agencies and organizations (training and reference books used by firefighting agencies, to cite one example I am familiar with)
--College bookstores (large market, perhaps not counted in general bookstore sales)
--Newsstands (in airports, for example)
--Book fairs (at schools, and perhaps sometimes at libraries and other public places -- the Books Are Fun temporary locations, for example)
--By speakers, lecturers, and teachers (for example, Learning Exchange and the like), "from the back of the room" (those numbers can add up, by the way)
--By visiting authors at school and library events (I know authors who specialize in those sorts of events and sales, getting paid not only a fee for the presentation but also for books sold at the event)
--Crafts and fabric stores (Joann's, for example)
--Hobby shops, and stamp and coin stores (not that there are many stamp stores left)
--Art-supply stores
--Coffee shops (Starbucks is the best known, but probably not the only one)
--Via magazine and newspaper ads (especially in publications targeted to special interests, such as guns, model airplanes, health and fitness)
--Via direct mail advertising (Rodale sells a lot of books that way)
--By authors via websites and other means (I have bought books by professional writers, published by large commercial publishers, at authors' speaking engagements, for example)
--By authors at regional events (one author-publisher of my acquaintance sells as many as 500 books per weekend at such events, and his total sales have run well into the tens of thousands, probably well over 100,000 by now)
--Via souvenir shops (every area of any size or interest has local-interest books offered in local-interest stores aimed at tourists)
--Via museum stores (the California History Museum, for example, has an attached store with books and memorabilia, as does the California Railroad Museum, both in Sacramento)
--By subscription (Library of America, anyone? I have about 110 volumes in that series myself; Time-Life used to sell tons of books by subscription, and might reenter that business some day; Harlequin sells paperbacks by subscription in at least a couple of categories, four books sent out about 17 times a year to subscribers; etc.)

I have probably omitted several venues. Heck, even liquor stores might carry a few paperbacks, and maybe a hardbound bar guide or two.

--Ken

Last edited:

Sparhawk

Jenna's Cabana Boy
Registered
Reaction score
That's one sad thread.

http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=20383 yeah, but this one's even worse. I weep for the decieved, I hope they don't spend too much money buying thier own books. The elder Stateslady of PA chimes right in downing several shots of Kool-Aide with the throngs of newbie faithful.

Through all of it PA's bank account gets fatter and the wallets of these poor authors gets drastically thinner. PA sent out a shipment and it arrived on time.. the guy's practically grovelling about it. Teh last post is particuarly fristrating the poster dropped a bundle on books and is thanking PA cuz now she has books for her booksigning. AAAUUUUGGGGHHHHHH !!!!!!!! <<BANGS HEAD ON DESK>>. WIll she be weeping when she never sees a royalty against her self purchase. PA made a huge profit free and clear and they're all singing the PAvidian praise mantra.

Last edited:

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

From that thread:

Does anyone know if PA is just a moral company or are the(y) Christian based.

Oh please... too much. They're con artists printing out the attachment you send to them and selling it back at you at an exorbitant price. Why don't you get that?

What's that old saying about the devil... the biggest trick he ever pulled is convincing us he didn't exist... or something like that.

Seems PA's pulled an even bigger one among its faithful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.