Not open for further replies.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Maybe they don't want those orders because the checks had to be mailed and that could make PA subject to postal laws?

Now all we have to do is hope that at least one check was cashed because PA keeps forgetting there are many laws out there and they need be convicted of breaking only one to see their "publishing house" of cards topple.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I was at www.walmart.com and I came across my book there by curiousity. Wow Walmart is selling my book! Woohoo! You guys may want to check yours out unless you already know about this. Thanks P.A. for getting it there. They are great!

I'm doubtful PA had anything to do with this. Shilling? Especially the way those last two lines read?

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
I just have to say something about Mike Warnke . . . even if it's off topic. He might of lied out his (you know), but he was a very funny comedian. I didn't listen to his preaching, but I did rent his video and lmao at the comedy portion of his show.

David

platedlizard

platin' mai lizard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
platedlizard.livejournal.com
I'm doubtful PA had anything to do with this. Shilling? Especially the way those last two lines read?

Wal*Mart, Target, etc. have some kind of deal with Amazon. Basically, you order the book from Amazon when you order from Wal*mart's website. Since Amazon carries anything with an ISBN. POD books, including PA, would certainly be available through Wal*Mart's online store. For example, I ordered Atlanta Nights from Target's site. It doesn't really mean anything. Plenty of books are featured on Amazon don't sell well, if at all there. Only Real World bookstore (or Supermarket) placement counts.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
They don't send checks because it would cost them more than $1 to process the checks if they were cashed, and they would have to track the uncashed ones for tax purposes as a liability.

There are letter-folding machines that can handle the dollar bill insertion.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I' m just happy that someone would offer to publish my book. I would be happy to see it on walmart or target's website. Even if it was amazon. More people will be able to read it. I dont expect to get a lot of money and that's not why I'm doing it. I just want everyone to read and enjoy my book. Of course i will try to get it in stores as well once it comes out.

This is where self denial seems to overpower a person's commonsense. If you don't expect your book to make money (be it a little or a lot) you really can't expect 'everyone to read your book'.

I also found my book at wal mart, I even called my local store to see if they had it, but they said that oly the supercenters would be carrying it. But at least it's in a store. They even had my cover!!!

The quote above preceded the first and led to a bit of a rebuttal in the following:

Someone LIED to you my friend, Walmart will not shelve our books because the require a larger discount than what PA will give them. If your book is there then you have done something privately do get it there.

Being on the website and on the shelves are two different things entirely. Besides that Walmart outsources their book department.

How would someone manage to get their book on a shelf of WalMart if it wasn't being distributed?

Last edited:

TracySutterer & GaryRogers

Coffee Fanatics
Registered
Reaction score
Altruism?

It drives me completely Banana’s when I read quotes like the ones posted on this forum from the PAMB’s. Things like: “I don’t expect to make a lot of money..., I just want people to read and enjoy the book...” Give me a break! Geeze!!!

Okay, if that be the case, just go to Kinko’s and print-out, bind, and draw or copy cover art from the Web for the front and back - stand on a corner and give the dang things away.

Last time I checked, we are not living in a Star Trek 24th century world where money has no value. In addition, if a person has something that is worth marketing, spends countless hours writing, editing, etc, I would think that some sort of compensation, like PROFIT would be at least on the list of things that a person would like to achieve (Ferengy Style).

Who do these people think they are kidding? That is why there are “Intellectual Property Laws, Copyright Laws”, etc. After all expenses are deducted - PublishAmerica makes at least 60-80 percent profit on each book printed. The author gets only 8 cents on the dollar more or less in royalty payments.

People work all of their lives contributing to 401k’s, pension plans, Certificates of Deposits, investing in the Stock Market to make some Profit from their labors. Some people get to live maybe only 10-20 years after retiring, more or less - to enjoy the fruits of their efforts. Then, the remainder of their money is divided among the living when the person takes the eternal dirt nap. If they were smart, they also had “life Insurance” - I refer to it as Death Insurance.

Same thing applies to writing and publishing a book. Everyone profits from the product the author produces, Yet, under normal circumstances - the publishing house does make an effort to place the book in “circulation” and distribute the book. PublishAmerica relies on booksellers “Web Sites,” the author’s marketing plan, and “word of mouth“ as a distribution channel.

“Show me the book and the money!” Often, I do buy books from Quality Book Club, Crossings Book Club, History Book Club. I am very familiar with the books they have to offer - have seen the books in brick and mortar’s - leafed through them - and got a better price from the Book Clubs.

I do realize that the books that are selected are about to go out of print, and the publishing houses want to liquidate their inventory’s (thus, the low prices), who cares? I saved a bundle of money off list price! The author still gets paid (not as much - since the book is drastically reduced), the publishing house and the book club makes their money, and I am happy with the books.

What I am trying to say in my own “wind-bag” way, is that the books were in a distribution channel and marketed!

Humph!

Gary Rogers

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I can completely understand wanting one's book to be read, but does that PA author really believe that strangers are going to shell out, what, $19.95 plus shipping for a novel they haven't seen, flipped through or read? A novel by an unknown author?

PA authors must have a far more optimistic view of human nature than I do.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I can completely understand wanting one's book to be read, but does that PA author really believe that strangers are going to shell out, what, $19.95 plus shipping for a novel they haven't seen, flipped through or read? A novel by an unknown author?

PA authors must have a far more optimistic view of human nature than I do.

Especially when said novel is barely 100 pages long! I grit my teeth when I buy a Janet Evanovich hardcover at $24 and change (but I do it every new Plum release.). But at least I'm pretty sure what I'm getting and it's not a paperback. I think I'd have to have my head examined if I laid out that kind of dough for a paperback. Better be one hell of a story :)

TracySutterer & GaryRogers

Coffee Fanatics
Registered
Reaction score
Am I Worth $24.95?

Now out-of-print: Computer-End Program / By: Argile Stox (pen-name) 325 pages / ISBN# 1-4137-2496-5 / $24.95

Last time I checked Amazon.com, there is one book left, gathering dust in some warehouse (“more on the way” -Huh?).

I just wanted a regular sized paperback book priced at about $7.99 or less, not a huge trade paperback (not quite the size of hardcover).

Update: As of 12:35 am / 03.24.07 none are left in stock.

Gary Rogers

Last edited:

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
Somebody wondering where everyone went!

What happened to some of the great posters of the past? I would like to see all of them back. After all, we are one happy family, right?

Here's a peice of a post from the PAMB. Maybe,just maybe a lot of the writers have started to learn what PA is all about. That could be the reason you haven't seen them in awhile.

ccomer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I can only talk for myself. But by what I read on PAMB, everyone is going through what I did. The happiness of knowing their book is being published. LIke me, they didn't look at the big picture. Thanks to this board, nothing PA, has done to me YET, but thanks to this board, I got my act together and started diving into the internet and found, I just might be better then what PA has to offer. then there is that chance that I am blowing smoke. But I am not going to give up trying to be a "Real published Author".
I have asked for my rights back, which should be okay, as my book is still in the editing department..they tell me..
so I feel, now this is my opinion, that all those authors at PA. are good and hard working people and are thinking of seeing their book published. And PA is the shark (Jaws) waiting for all the little fishes to peek their heads out. They caught me. (that's called a sucker fish) But I am trying and fighting to get away.
Anyone got a stick of dynamite?

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
This is a new thread started on PAMB that, IMO, puts AW in a less than favorable light. The thread is entitled, “Nervous”.

Good Morning Writers,

I posted on my blog (http://mauraclegg.blogspot.com/) that my novel had been accepted and was going to be published by PA; noting my excitement

The other morning I further posted that things were now out of my hands since I had sent back my questionaire.

I received a comment, from someone I don't know, that spoke negatively of PA . There is link to a message board all talking of terrible things about PA and that it is nothing more than a vanity publisher.

It doesn't change my mind, but just looking for some positive reinforcement from successful writers here...

thanks

I went to the OP’s blog and read posts by people I can only guess are members of AW. They tell the site owner how bad PA is and then direct them here to AW. One does give links to other sites, but what bothered me were the links to AW.

The OP has posted twice more, including this post.

Thanks Helen. Most of what I have read that is negative is information about PA's lack of help and editing, but I can see that it seems that most of it is sour grapes. I have not heard anything here on the forum that would lead me to belive that I have made an incorrect decision.

I am proud to be a part of the PA family and twice as proud that my novel will be in print and available for people to but.

I am willing to do as much leg work as I am able to in order to promote my work; for it is mine and I nurtured it like a child to bring it to the work it is today. It is mine and I want to help to get it out there.

I am simply going to stay away from the negativity now - even if most posts come to by blog I am simply going to avoid them as I avoid negative people in my life

IMO, going to PA member’s websites and bad mouthing PA, then directing them to AW, will never convince them PA is not a reputable publisher. IMO, it will make AW look like its members do have sour grapes and some hidden agenda against PA, and the old timers on PAMB will reinforce that belief.

I think those posters to that PA member’s blog need to remember that NEPAT and all of its related threads are just a small portion of AW. A very important portion, but it is not what AW is all about.

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
I think those posters to that PA member’s blog need to remember that NEPAT and all of its related threads are just a small portion of AW. A very important portion, but it is not what AW is all about.

That's very true. This part of the board is just one small part of the whole board. But to me it is one of the most important parts of the forum. But you're right in the fact that it does no good to post in PA writers' guest-books on their website no matter how friendly you try to be. It will only drive them away and make them feel like we are the ones that are in the wrong.

ccomer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
when I first came here to this board, I too felt negativity. I found that The negativity was that everyone was worried about me. well that is how I took it anyway. Everyone on this board has been real kind to me and expressed their own individual opinions. which is what "free speech" is all about. It is not so much what others say but how you, yourself, look at things in your life.
Yes, there were some that made me feel stupid, But they also made me take a look at myself and what I had done.
I have never had anyone write to me, unless I have written to them asking questions. I feel everyone that has answered my post have been helpful in some way.
Everyone here is grown up and need to think before they speak or post. well, I do anyway. But let me tell you, I have learned a lot in a short amount of time, thanks to this board. It made me go out into the world and look and listen.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I usually follow the links to read comments but I never post one myself. Once they're in the jaws I figure they'll learn soon enough had badly they've been bitten. Even though I really hate to see it happen, they'll learn the truth eventually.

I think that's why so many of the old guard have left the PAMB. More people are wising up.

ETA: You'll do fine, CC. Just keep writing and submitting your work to good agents and publishers. It's a tough business but that's what makes it worthwhile. The challenge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.