PAMB and its quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
Not really. If one just wants two copies of their book and doesn't purchase any from PA, doesn't care that PA has the rights to that book for seven years, then no harm is done.

I will agree with you about that. If all someone wants is to see there little story in book form without paying anything, then PA isn't that bad. It's when you think that you have really become a full fledge writer is where you start to run into problems.;)

Maddog

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, our fellow poster Christine has been scared away by PA's attorney. We need to up our efforts to copy and paste incriminating posts from the PAMB. Let them hang themselves. Anyone with me?

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, our fellow poster Christine has been scared away by PA's attorney. We need to up our efforts to copy and paste incriminating posts from the PAMB. Let them hang themselves. Anyone with me?

What happened? They send another threatening letter to her? This is the first I have heard about this.

Maddog

Registered
Reaction score
One of PA's biggest supporters says...

I haven't made any money because, although I kept costs to an absolute minimum, I've spent more on what little promotion I've done than I've received in royalties. I wrote the book to raise money for cancer research and cancer care and, in that respect, it was a complete failure.

To lurkers: If you are considering going with PA, read what their own authors say about them. Many posts that cast PA in a bad light are deleted from PA's own message board quickly. We try to capture them here before they're gone.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
this speaks for itself

More questions and answers from the PAMB:

Me and my co authod xxxx's first book, [title] , is done! PA did an awsome job! The cover fits the story sooo well! The release date is [date]! I was wondering if it will be on the shelf at walmart and At stores like albertsons and what not? I'm also still trying to get the press release into the pappers any one have any ideas???
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
It will be listed on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other online sites. That's what PA does. You won't find it at any bookstores unless you arrange for it yourself. There and a million or more books on the market so it requires a lot of work. Some people expect PA to do it but that's not their job. Don't be discouraged - when a book is published that's only the beginning of the writer's work.

Last edited:

Maddog

Registered
Reaction score
They must not sell many books. I know 'cause when I was standing in line (forever!) at Borders one day they were selling all sorts of other junk, like calendars and games.

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
bookstores and book selling

Actually, many bookstores are hurting, as books are being sold by other places (Starbucks, Amazon, etc). A lot of the independents have closed their doors completely - this is a real loss to society, as independent bookstores provide an alternative voice. Barnes and Noble has been hurting too.

Also, people are probably reading less as well.

I've conducted a number of interviews with independent booksellers lately; you can read them here and in the archives.

http://www.coffeehouseforwriters.com/fictionfix/current.html

Bookselling is not a way to make that much money; in an interview that will come out in March with A Thirsty Mind of Lakeview, Texas, the owner talks about they often make more money on the wine than on the books - even at author events.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
More people are buying more books, and are reading later in life, than ever before.

There are a lot of things going on in bookselling, including the decline of the ID market and the rise of the superstores, but don't let anyone tell you that folks aren't reading.

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
More people are buying more books, and are reading later in life, than ever before.

There are a lot of things going on in bookselling, including the decline of the ID market and the rise of the superstores, but don't let anyone tell you that folks aren't reading.

I'd agree that plenty of older people are reading - and as people are living longer, that's an extension of the market. But are the younger people reading? Or is their time taken up with internet, television, cell phones, DVDs, Netflix, etc? There are so many interruptions that it's hard to concentrate.

J.S Greer

Feel the power!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Does anyone else find it weird that there are no user profiles on the PAMB? Sorry if that has been brought up before, but im wondering if that is a small way to keep people from maybe sending each other private messages more often?

Maddog

Registered
Reaction score
I hear what you're saying, Victoria. Being new-ish to my area I've always just gone to the mega bookstores because I know where they are. When my kids were small I frequented the local toy/bookstore as much as possible.

I have noticed the mega stores are always busy around here. You should see Border's on a Friday night. The place is packed.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Information control

Does anyone else find it weird that there are no user profiles on the PAMB? Sorry if that has been brought up before, but im wondering if that is a small way to keep people from maybe sending each other private messages more often?
The LAST think PA wants is the authors having private conversations that can't be monitored and controlled by PA. Take a look at my recent post concerning how cults control information. I can repost it if you want.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Yup. CatSlave is right. PA watches very, very, closely. Can't have any uprisings now. That one guy, Joe B., still has his message up here about a new writer's board he formed. At first it was for anyone. Now you have to send him an email. No problem with that, really. I'm not a former PA "author" and I have two user names there. I guess, though, it's to get around PA from deleting his message maybe? Or did PA just miss that one?

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Here's a thread PA locked :http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=19714
and the original post and PA's answer:
(PA Author) said:
I chose option three for my book. That is the option that makes an editor look it over and correct it, but I recieved proofs today in my email and a message that said that I was being given two weeks to edit my manuscript myself, which I understand is option two. This is very upsetting to me. What should I do to correct this problem? I feel bad that someone has done all the formatting work already just because someone made a mistake.
PA said:
Email your editor. Simple mistake, simple solution.
Those PA publishers--they seem like the nicest bunch, don't they? And so helpful, too! :rolleyes:

J.S Greer

Feel the power!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
The LAST think PA wants is the authors having private conversations that can't be monitored and controlled by PA. Take a look at my recent post concerning how cults control information. I can repost it if you want.

I read that post, and ive said that they were cultlike from the start...I just didnt know if anyone had noticed that.

chose option three for my book. That is the option that makes an editor look it over and correct it, but I recieved proofs today in my email and a message that said that I was being given two weeks to edit my manuscript myself, which I understand is option two.

And option one, option two, option three...are there different levels of spellcheck that I'm not aware of?

J.S Greer

Feel the power!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
It's been said many times that we arent bashing PA authors, we just want them to know the real deal. I would hope that PA authors would see us as friends more so that detractors.
The passage below seems relevant to me, especially applying to ex-PA authors doing their best to let current PA authors know what the deal is.

"This guy's walking down the street when he falls in a hole. The walls are so steep he can't get out. A doctor passes by, and the guy shouts up, "Hey, you, can you help me out?" The doctor writes a prescription, throws it down in the hole and moves on. Then a priest comes along, and the guy shouts up, "Father, I'm down in this hole. Can you help me out?" The priest writes a prayer, throws it down in the hole and moves on. Then a friend walks by. "Hey, Joe, it's me. Can you help me Out" And the friend jumps in the hole. Our guy says, "Are you nuts? Now we're both down here." The friend says, "Yeah, but I've been down here before - and I know the way out."

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
Hope springs eteranl at http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=19785

. . . Anyways, it has been a couple of months since P.A. announced they were purchasing their own presses. Have they started printing yet. No one has said anything.

Guys have you any IDEA how BIG this is? Let me put it in theses terms.

1)Our publishers printing costs per book will go way down. I for one really do not care about the price of my book as it is selling quite well at the price they set. But, and here cones the big but. Who knows I may just be starting an unfounded rumour here but They could conceivably begun mass marketing a few of the better sellers. That would be gianormous if that is their intent down the road. After all with over 20,000 authors, one or two of us must be worth their investing in

2) For those of you out there who think returns are the be all and end all of selling books, these presses give them a little leeway.

3) Now thirdly and the most important of all for all of us out there, it separates P.A. from their association with Lightning Source. Now when people hear P.A. they will not immediate associate them with Lightning Source. Now for you newbies out there, Lightning Source prints for everybody and anybody in the bus. but predominantly Self publishers, you know the old Publish On Demand folks we keep getting compared to, Anyways I am nearing the end of the second book in my series and I am looking forward to see what effect the new presses will have on them and my sales as well

Just a thought.

Anybody want to expalin to the lurkers what this really means?

Status
Not open for further replies.