Status
Not open for further replies.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
I sure hope that the PA authors who are disappointed with attempts to get booksignings don't fall for this: http://www.authors4charity.com.

I got the authors4charity scam email today. Some of their email highlights:

We want to take this opportunity and invite you join us at Authors4Charity.* We are an organization of authors from around the country conducting book signings and donating a portion of what we receive to charity. *We’re expanding our old organization to include many new things for authors to choose from, made it better and will do extensive promotions in the next few months.

Members have found this organization has increased their own profits by allowing them to conduct book signings in locations where they may not be able otherwise.* Additionally, readers seem more apt to purchase when they know a portion with go to charity.
Yeah, right.

We support our members through personal contact, newsletters, web site and suggested contacts.* Often our members ban together to conduct joint book signings at local locations.* Many book signings are at Malls, bookstores, coffee shops and grocery stores, to name a few.
I wonder if they're banning at Jiffy-Lube?

Members have access to a listing of locations agreeing to conduct such book signings.* Even if you belong to another writers group, Authors4Charity is different in that we place more emphasis on book signings, promotions and other areas than most other groups.* So you can belong to more than one.
*Yeah, it's really different. . . .
There's a lot more. But this is the kicker:
Authors4Charity will also have it's own publishing and Promotions company later on this year for it's members.* With the publishing company, authors who use print on demand can buy books at cost using our own publisher.* The promotions company will offer discounts to all it's members as well.

A "publishing and Promotions company" that will "offer discounts."

My mind boggles, not only at the number of errors in their sentences, but also at the levels of scamminess in this, uh, company.

Last edited:

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
Sometimes the truth slips out

From this thread: http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=19043

Is it any wonder that PA get criticized? It has created a new style of publishing. It has developed a method of publishing that minimizes risk on the part of PA and on the part of the author. It doesn’t need to publish and stock huge quantities of books but rather be in a position to print what the market demands. That’s smart business.

Bolding is mine.

If the risk is minimized for PA, why do they pay royalties that are in line with publishers who take all the risks?

PA lurkers: What is PA doing to earn its share of the money?

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
Publish America's modus operandi is very similar to Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes (that's probably where they got the idea). PCH offers the chance to win a large amount of money, while stating that it is not required to buy their magazine subscriptions to win, or intimating to the person opening the envelope that they have already won, all they have to do is enter, knowing in the short run that they will sell magazine subscriptions to those hoping to enhance their chances of winning big bucks.

PA plays on the same type emotion of intimating to writers that they have an excellent chance of success is selling their books, if they will only enter (give up their manuscript), while all the time they plan on selling authors their own books.

Note: While I was typing the above, a message popped up on the bottom of the screen informing me I had an email from Publishers Clearing House (this is true), subject: Last Chance to Win. I think I had better go and see what that is all about. I could use the money.

Arkie

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Publishers Clearing House is offering a new game called Blingo and by registering you have the chance of winning $10,000,000, plus plasma TVs, cars and such. Of course, by registering to participate in the game to win big bucks and prizes, you have to agree to order their subscriptions. I deleted their email and recommend prospective authors delete such emails from Publish America. It is essentially the same scam.

irishidid

Registered
Reaction score
Blingo is not a game. It is a search engine powered by Google. You don't have to play any game and you certainly don't have to order a subscription to anything.

Arkie

Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea what Blingo is and don't care. I suspected it was a play of words on Bingo. At any rate PCH is offering it in a scheme to win cash and prizes, their end game to always sell products.

zizban

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.chippewapublishing.com
The Publishamerica model is actually a very ethical one I think, in that it does not discriminate amongst both its published and would-be published authors and books. It gives everyone an equal chance of success. A true "equal opportunities" publisher.

If a book makes its mark with a broad spectrum of readers, then it gets promoted on word of mouth and its own merits.

I do feel that with more traditional publishing models, books are too often churned out commercially and *automatically* put into the mass-market distribution chains, irrespective of how good they are. So readers "buy what they get given" as opposed to "spotting something that catches their eye".

Welcome to the world of the completely clueless.

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
zizban said:
The Publishamerica model is actually a very ethical one I think, in that it does not discriminate amongst both its published and would-be published authors and books. It gives everyone an equal chance of success. A true "equal opportunities" publisher.

If a book makes its mark with a broad spectrum of readers, then it gets promoted on word of mouth and its own merits.

I do feel that with more traditional publishing models, books are too often churned out commercially and *automatically* put into the mass-market distribution chains, irrespective of how good they are. So readers "buy what they get given" as opposed to "spotting something that catches their eye".

Welcome to the world of the completely clueless.

Problem is that since the books aren't in bookstores, they aren't going to catch anyone's eye.

zizban

Banned
Reaction score
Website
This is like stealing candy from a baby:
It seems to me that there are many interpretations and versions of the Publish America post on the Feature Page that says "Publish America Books Are Returnable" or something to that effect. I think it is important for all of us to know exactly what that means in terms of our relationship and work effort with Booksellers like Barnes and Noble, Borders, and the like. It will save authors some tense moments with managers of these places who find their computers do not jive with our claim...PA Monitors are you listening?...Will you clarify?....Rudy Girandola

In your dreams.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
zizban said:
This is like stealing candy from a baby:
It seems to me that there are many interpretations and versions of the Publish America post on the Feature Page that says "Publish America Books Are Returnable" or something to that effect. I think it is important for all of us to know exactly what that means in terms of our relationship and work effort with Booksellers like Barnes and Noble, Borders, and the like. It will save authors some tense moments with managers of these places who find their computers do not jive with our claim...PA Monitors are you listening?...Will you clarify?....Rudy Girandola

In your dreams.

They are listening, and will soon be reprimanding you for asking your honest questions.

This is not mockery; this is personal experience talking.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Argh! I really wish they would all provide an e-mail address in their posts. I so often want to answer their quesions with facts instead of PA nonsense, but if they don't inlcude a link to their website or have a mailto link on that website, there's not much we can do other than post here.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
LloydBrown said:
Argh! I really wish they would all provide an e-mail address in their posts. I so often want to answer their quesions with facts instead of PA nonsense, but if they don't inlcude a link to their website or have a mailto link on that website, there's not much we can do other than post here.

The problem there is, if we did email them, or post to their website, we could be seen as guestbook slammers. That could actually make the situation more difficult for the writers in question.

Also, I wonder how many such emails would even be read? If someone deleted them thinking they were either spam or a virus, they might never reach the recipient with the truth.

I personally think posting here is the best thing the majority of us can do.

All in my own opinion, of course.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
zizban said:
PA Monitors are you listening?...Rudy Girandola

Yes, Winston, I mean Rudy, they're listening. You simply can't imagine how much they're listening. Big Brother loves you, Rudy. Can't you feel his love? Big Brother cares for you. Lies Are Truth. Fear Is Love. Yes, they're listening...

zizban

Banned
Reaction score
Website
That guy had an email address so I emailed him. I didn't bash PA so much as to explain to him what discounts and returns meant and why PublishAmerica will never be on store shelves.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Ian D. Mecantie said:
The problem there is, if we did email them, or post to their website, we could be seen as guestbook slammers. That could actually make the situation more difficult for the writers in question

I've struck up several productive conversations by doing that, with only one major psycho going nuts. If someone asks "How do returns work?" and you answer him, why wouldn't he read it? Be respectful. Stay on topic. Don't preach. Let them draw conclusions for themselves.

Arkie

Registered
Reaction score
Rudy has been active on that board for three years. He knew the answer to the question before he asked it. He's trying to get the PA monitor to make a statement. A lot of that goes on over there.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
"Make a statement"? To what possible end? (Not that I'm asking you, Arkie; the question's rhetorical). If Rudy's been there three years, he knows darn well what the Infomonster will say. Seems to me the guy would be better served by trying to get his contract cancelled, and starting again with a solid commercial house. But that's just me. I guess fun's where you find it.

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
From PAMB: I know this is a Dumb question. My first book was 11,300 words. The book that I am finishing this week is around 20,000 words. My question is should I try to make the book longer or go with what I got.

I'm writing on my first book, it's nearly finished and close to edit. I've written more than I need so I can go back to see what works and what doesn't. WOW...only eleven thousand, is this a poetry novel?

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
Book? That's a short story.

There are short story markets out there where they pay you a heck of a lot more than a dollar.

And that's even in the lower paying markets, if I understand correctly.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
unhappy with cover design?

from the PA board:

Hi everyone...Hope I have not put my foot in my mouth so to speak.
My cover just came in and it was very confusing and althought I liked the color, the picture was confusing. I sent it to two women and one man and they all agreed about the picture. I related the news to PA. Hope I have not stuck my foot in my big mouth, afterall I owe PA a lot and I am forever grateful to them. Has anyone else ever diagreed with their cover? My first cover was a winner. I even had someone try to steal my large posters of it. It could be because this is such a different style that I was not prepared for it. Anyway, has anyone else ever disagreed
with their cover. I just want to sell, sell, the book.

Oh dear. What to do? Will anyone answer her question?
I think the answer is "yes" - if you complain to PA you end up with a mouth full of feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.