Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
spike said:
This is from the Bookstores-Are-Bad guy.

http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=18093

Funny, I was just at Barnes and Nobels the other day, and you know what I saw? Books published by all the big, commerical publishers and some small ones too. What I didn't see were books published by PA.

Hmmm...so PA books are the competition, but all the other publishers aren't? This doesn't even make sense in the non-sensical PA world view.

Such cluelessness. It's almost...breathtaking. You know, I think we've just found that most elusive of beasts: the perfect PA author. I'm serious. This is the kind of gormless mark Willie prays for. I would imagine both are deliriously happy.

PA author, meet PA. A marriage made in...well, not heaven, certainly, but somewhere.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
This PA author has requested free stories for a publication from his fellow authors and is running into flak:

Our print issue are in fact free, and distributed in many outlets in the Chicago are--i.e. bookstores and coffeehouses.

We don't advertise on our site yet, but we are moving that way.

We hold free readings monthly where we give away copies of our issues.

Egos of the inexperience is something I don't understand. The idea behind writing is that someone will read your work--not monotary reimbursement. Our print circluation is something like 200 or so--small, yes, but growing--and our online edition get abouts 250 hits per month. That's pretty good readership for a tiny start-up only a few months old. I would argue that readership is more important than the few dollars you would receive for you story.

This is the answer from another:

The "few dollars" is not quite the point. Either you are a professional and write like one and expect recognition through payment (which shows your work has worth), or you are a dilettante who just wants to see the name in print.
I've always operated on the assumption that if it's worthy of print, it's worthy of compensation for the time, effort and expertise expended in turning out a finished product. I have to pay the plumber, the lawn mowing man, the electric company...who offer products/services just as I do. And they don't do it out of the kindness of their hearts.

The solicitor seems to think that writing should be a free exercise, and can't understand why no one wants to contribute for free.

The other comment is a taste in irony, since she explains that writing is a job and one should be entitled to compensation for the time, effort, and expertise expended in turning out a finished product. But yet the "few dollars" is not quite the point? Then what is the point?

I find this wierd, since poo-pooing the idea of contributing a small story doesn't equate to the severity of selling a novel for a dollar. If she sold a short story for two dollars, she would beat the advance that PA gave her. Gak!

Tri

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
A PA author wanted to know why her book was turned down by the small press dept of Barnes and Noble. Her answer:

Many of us have done so, and the answer is always the same. They give various reasons to various authors, but the gist of it is that they won't place them. Actually, PA has said that the Small Press is for the self-published and publish on demand books, (sometimes called POD, but not print on demand because even traditional publishers use that method today as well as offset) not for PA or those who are considered traditional or established publishers. JA+

I hate it when PA outright lies to deflect the blame. So PA is not POD, eh?

Tri

Joanna_S

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannasandsmark.com
They spend a lot of time over there discussing POD (publish on demand) vs. POD (print on demand). The bookstores don't care about the distinction, but the PAers care a great deal.

As for the small press, I wonder what would happen if he did offer everyone a dollar for a story. Would they see that as insulting?

The PA board is a strange and depressing place. Anyone with real information gets banned and those who swallow the Kool-Aid indoctrinate new members to the party line. It's all so very ugly.

-- Joanna

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Joanna, it is indeed sad over there. I happen to like most of them, and hold nothing against other writers. Sleeping with PA, though, throws them on the wrong track to publishing, and sometimes I could really scream and throw a fit.

Below is part of a tribute to PA, but somehow this writer really slipped up and called a spade a spade. I don't know if he is aware that he unknowingly pinned the tail on the donkey that is PA. Also, he insulted his fellow writers in the same post. But somehow the truth came out:

PA published books of people who have a tough time writing their thoughts in a manner consistent with most writing standards, and whose ability in the use of grammar is severely lacking. Yes, PA didn’t read all the books submitted to them nor did they edit them as other publishing houses. PA rightly assumed that most authors would want to make sure their work is good enough for publication and would have it proof read. And, before publication, PA sends the proofs for final approval of the author. The entire final decision for publication is in the hands of the author. Often, perhaps due to the haste of wanting the book to be in print, the author may simply forego the necessary precautions, which they later regret, and that decision has given PA many black eyes.
I think it might be a good thing for PA to provide prospective authors with more insight and information about what is expected of them before making a final determination to publish their work. The prospective new authors need also to know in advance what is expected of them after the book is published. That is just my suggestion.

Joanna_S

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannasandsmark.com
Wow, that is interesting. So if he recognizes all of that, why is he still with PA? That's what I don't understand. If you are aware of the truth and acknowledge it as truth, how do you go on believing in the company?

I feel as you do, Triceretops. The authors are the victims. I do find myself losing sympathy for the ones who vocally regurgitate the party line over and over again to new PA members. But the bulk of people over there are nothing more than victims of a scam and deserve our sympathy. It's an important disctinction.

-- Joanna

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
So correct. There's a ton of sweethearts over there, and we've got a batch of post victims here that I adore. No fowl, ever, ever.

That poster...I dunno. It might be the first time in history where infoblow has to step in there and delete their own tribute. Maybe he had a few glasses of wine and din knoe wha he wah sayin', or his subconcious muse took over the Stepford Scribe in him?

It was a nice slip up anyway.

Tri

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
triceretops said:
This PA author has requested free stories for a publication from his fellow authors and is running into flak:

Our print issue are in fact free, and distributed in many outlets in the Chicago are--i.e. bookstores and coffeehouses.

We don't advertise on our site yet, but we are moving that way.

We hold free readings monthly where we give away copies of our issues.

Egos of the inexperience is something I don't understand. The idea behind writing is that someone will read your work--not monotary reimbursement. Our print circluation is something like 200 or so--small, yes, but growing--and our online edition get abouts 250 hits per month. That's pretty good readership for a tiny start-up only a few months old. I would argue that readership is more important than the few dollars you would receive for you story.

This is the answer from another:

The "few dollars" is not quite the point. Either you are a professional and write like one and expect recognition through payment (which shows your work has worth), or you are a dilettante who just wants to see the name in print.
I've always operated on the assumption that if it's worthy of print, it's worthy of compensation for the time, effort and expertise expended in turning out a finished product. I have to pay the plumber, the lawn mowing man, the electric company...who offer products/services just as I do. And they don't do it out of the kindness of their hearts.

The solicitor seems to think that writing should be a free exercise, and can't understand why no one wants to contribute for free.

The other comment is a taste in irony, since she explains that writing is a job and one should be entitled to compensation for the time, effort, and expertise expended in turning out a finished product. But yet the "few dollars" is not quite the point? Then what is the point?

I find this wierd, since poo-pooing the idea of contributing a small story doesn't equate to the severity of selling a novel for a dollar. If she sold a short story for two dollars, she would beat the advance that PA gave her. Gak!

Tri

This is the example of PA-think. These are the authors who are constantly yelling, "I AM A PUBLISHED AUTHOR". They are so afraid of being seen for what they are, printed, that they would never put anything in a non paying magazine or journal.

What's funny is how much these people are willing to pay for bookmarks and fliers, and how much time they are willing to spend on pointless promotions, they don't realize that a literary mag is great exposure. People who read these mags love stories. They will seek out an author they like.

Imagine if the editor of the mag said that he could give free advertising for each author's book in exchange for a short story for his mag. I'm sure they would all jump at the chance.

Of course, the readers would look for the author in a bookstore, so it wouldn't be much use for a PA author.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
From http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=18156
And, IMHO, Stephen King sells so many books simply because he writes them for the illiterate masses.

All this time I thought King sold so many books because he is published by a major publisher who gets his books into major bookstores, sends out advance reader copies to reviewers, promotes King, sends him on book tours—that sort of stuff.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Stephen King sells books because he writes well. He sells many *more* books because he's published by a major publisher.

I really disagree with any thought of illiterate people reading books. By definition, they don't. As far as writing on a low grade level...well, it worked for Hemingway. It seems to work for King. It worked for Faulkner. It worked for Dickens.

But maybe the PA author you quoted can show us how it's supposed to be done.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
From the PAMB (probably won't last)
I had read this thread earlier and was not going to post. Then this afternoon I received a book from PA. I sat down to eagerly read and...am thoroughly dissapointed. The story is weak, the editing is bad and the writing is choppy.

This is a big, big problem with PA. I don't know how this story made it by anyone. And this has not been the first book I have read from PA that I have thought the same thing. So what does this lead me to believe about myself and my own skills? Not much right about now.

PA has opened the door for a lot of good writers, but in my opinion, has left it open for too many others. This will plague them until they start getting much more selective.

Yep.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
It has to be very tough to realize that your story was not read and appreciated, but instead Kinkoed with the rest of the crowd. I think one of the biggest frustrations for a writer, after sending out dozens of queries and partials, has to be, "WHEN will my manuscript be READ from page 1 to the end?"

PA authors can't grow if they're not edited (all the way around) and told what they're doing wrong. Incorrect information amongst them spreads like a small plague, until it engulfs the entire biological community.

Tri

J.S Greer

Feel the power!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Im amazed after reading through this thread at the absolute cult like mentality of PA "authors." Not to say that they are bad people at all, but that because they fail to do their research, and take things SOOO personally, they are walking down a path with no destination.

When I think of PA, Jonestown and Waco come to mind. :Shrug:

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
That poster had a respone, that, like so many others, has a lot of words and really says nothing.

Just because you think your work deserves to be published doesn't mean anyone has to read it, nor like it. Why does every piece of drivel written 'deserve' publication?

Clue: it's not about you. I mean, yeah, you wrote it, and you love it, and you want the world to read it, but... the world may not agree.

Ack.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Get it while it lasts.

I do not agree with you AT ALL. There are some people that just should not get puiblished unless they take their stuff to Kinkos and do it themselves. This does reflect poorly on all of us. Can't anyone just be honest about this. These boards are so sweet half the time it makes me want to brush my teeth over and over.

But hey, thanks for the encouragement about me and my work. Have you read my book?

It probably won't last long.. after all, can't have people knowing how the real world works. ETA: Too late! Already gone. And the poster cowtows to the powers at PA...

Thank you for your response and your understanding. YOU got it completely.

For the record, I have read 4 PA books this year. Two have been good, two, not so good. I have read many other books as well. Some have been good, and some, in fact my last book clubs choice which is in fact a current best seller, I found boring, boring. There is bad and good stuff everywhere. My wish for PA is that they get a couple of really big winners in their house.

I just ordered Everlasting Journey! I love the cover and look forward to the read.

Bolding mine. Always have to put the little "oh, please, I'm not bashing PA" bit in, once you've had all your posts deleted from a thread. The only posts to pull no punches and shine the light of day onto PA's slimy facade.

Shame.

Last edited:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
I'm also curious as to when second editions and reprints of your book might become possible? I guess that too will be determined by how much demand there is for your works from readers.

I ask this because there is a new astronomical constant that I've introduced in my books that people are now commonly referring to as "Ahad's constant"
icon_biggrin.gif
(Search Google)

The figures I have quoted are provisional estimates based on mathematical extrapolation. The reason being, no computer software is currently available that can integrate the light from 15 million stars across the entire night sky. But in future years it may be feasible to do this and some of the science in my story may also need revision. Hence, a second edition of First Ark to Alpha Centauri could incorporate the changes.

Okay, this is Centauri guy, and it took me a couple seconds in to recognize it. He also said that massive spaceships were really his idea and no one had used them up until his "ark" invention.

First off, reprints implies print runs, and you ain't in the offset world. And by second edition, do you mean sequel?

As for the rest of the post--that was a great publicity lead-in to showcase your theory, and the more I read it, the less it made sense. I take it that PA should reprint and second-edition you, because your extrapolations would be justifiably updated?

You need to meet up with the theory of everything guy, but don't try jacking HIS thread.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Tri

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I did, indeed, Google on "Ahad's Constant." What I found was, not

...people are now commonly referring to as "Ahad's constant"

but rather a series of astro-physics messageboards where Ahad pops up to ask people to call his number "Ahad's constant" to which he gets a series of puzzled replies. He presses the case; replies become testier.

Here's a typical one.

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
triceretops said:
Okay, this is Centauri guy, and it took me a couple seconds in to recognize it. He also said that massive spaceships were really his idea and no one had used them up until his "ark" invention.

Tri

Ages since I've read it, but wasn't 'Rendezvous with Rama' about a massive spaceship?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
It's interesting that he's pushing for a recognizable platform NOW, when perhaps he should have started with one to begin with. Yes, Einstein typically has his name associated with his theory of relativity. I can't help thinking that our young PA author is now seeking some type of devine breakthrough in the core sciences, and wants his name associated with his discoveries. I should have read about him in Scientific American, or Astronomy magazine. He might have something published somewhere, but I am not aware of it.

Being in print, especially in non-fiction, can ge a heady wine for a new author. Being in print with PA does nothing to validate one's expertise. In fact, being in print with PA distracts and undermines credibility since there are no fact-checkers or editors there to vett or verify any theories, claims, or proposals.

Cancer Boy is an excellent example of how a serious subject can be twisted and misrepresented in print, allowing dangerous claims and statements to put the public at risk . We all know what happened to Cancer Boy.

Tri

Status
Not open for further replies.