PDA

View Full Version : Ever been klonked in the head? I mean enough to knock you cold?

Perks
07-30-2006, 04:37 PM
I need to know about it, but I'm not all that keen on suffering that much for my craft.

So, if you've ever been knocked unconscious by a blow to the head and feel like reliving the nightmare, I'd love to burden you.

What implement did the trick? How long were you out? How bad did it hurt? And what was your state of mind, earliest you can remember, upon coming to?

Feel free to PM me, or post it here so we call all laugh (and I can learn) at your expense.

Robert Toy
07-30-2006, 04:42 PM
Check this out.

http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/archives/199904/0176.html

Pat~
07-30-2006, 06:48 PM
Yup, happened to me. That explains a lot of things, huh? :tongue

I was four years old, and thought it'd be fun to see how fast my tricycle could get to the bottom of the driveway (think miniature Mt. Everest). The last thing I remember about that thrill was that my handlebars were going in all directions.

I came to in my bed, where my parents had put me. I felt just awful--my mom told me I'd missed my favorite dinner (pancakes).

Perks
07-30-2006, 06:51 PM
This is just the sort of info I need. Tell me more. And you all have my sympathies - I'm burrowing into the icepack of solidarity in your honor.

LloydBrown
07-30-2006, 07:36 PM
'twas a foot that did me in.

Karate tournament. A back-leg roundhouse hit me in the magic spot at the corner of the jaw, and I just dropped. I was only out for a minute or so, and I woke up with my instructor over me making sure I was alright.

I finished the match, though. Even better, somebody got it on video.

I didn't have a headache or anything, but I did have a weird feeling. Just kind of "out of it." It took me hours to feel like I was placed right.

When you get rung like that, your short-term memory "clears", like when your computer shuts down suddenly (although that analogy is going away now that computers are able to recover lost information). Still, people knocked unconscious generally have no memory of the last few seconds before it happened.

Jamesaritchie
07-30-2006, 08:01 PM
I've been knocked out twice. Once by getting hit on the button in a practice session. The bell rang, I dropped my guard, and the lights went out. Like Lloyd Brown, I was out maybe a minute, and recovery wasn't all that difficult.

I've also been knocked out by having an enbankment give way, falling about ten feet, and hitting my head on a rock. If I hadn't been wearing a padded hat, odds are it would have killed me.

Trust me on this. Getting knocked out by having your button hit, and getting knocked by having something hard and heavy slammed against your head do not feel at all the same.

Not only did I have a headache, a massive headache, I couldn't think, I vomited, I couldn't remember much of anything, and for a while I was so dizzy I couldn't stand up. The dizziness, the headache, the memory problems, and the vomiting returned regularly for about a week. It was at least two weeks before I was anything like normal, and probably a month before the last traces disappeared.

Perks
07-30-2006, 08:16 PM
I'm getting a headache just reading this stuff. This is perfect - a range of experiences that will help me construct this next scene.

You guys are great! And clumsy as hell.

Soccer Mom
07-31-2006, 12:46 AM
Okay, here goes. Misery loves company, eh? I was picking out a horses feet on a wash rack. Basically this is a concrete pad with a drain and metal pipes around the edges to contain the horse. I wasn't paying attention and stood up underneath one of the metal pipes. I don't remember a lot more except that the top of my head throbbed and I vomitted whenever I moved. After the initial pain, it got better as long as I was stationary, but getting up or moving started the symptoms right back up.

This lasted for the better part of 24 hours. After that, I had a goose egg on my head that was extremely sensitive to touch. Brushing my hair was painful.

rtilryarms
07-31-2006, 03:46 AM
I have been plugged on the noggin so hard and so many times but strangely I never went out. My best friend, on the other hand, outweighed me by 70 lbs (no fat), but he had a spot on the top of his head that If I hit it just so, and not so hard either, he was out for a while.

asorum
07-31-2006, 03:52 AM
I fell off a roof three years ago. Hit flat on my back. Broke my back and sternum. Hit the back of my head so hard it gave me a black eye. It hurt like hell and made me mad. Didn't knock me out. Might have been better if it did!

Silver King
07-31-2006, 04:23 AM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned, and perhaps it doesn't happen to everyone, is a flash of white light that beams its way from the brain to the eye sockets like an electrical shock you can see. This happens for an instant just before everything turns black.

In my case, it was a lead pipe delivered to the back of my head by an angry person.

Perks
07-31-2006, 04:25 AM
And Silver King, how long were you out? How much did it hurt afterwards? And what do you remember of coming-to?

The incident obviously, left our good friend Silver King with some lasting comprehension issues. Sheesh. What good is this guy to me?

Gary
07-31-2006, 04:31 AM
I was bucked off a horse when I was about 10. I hit the back of my head on a rock and was out for a minute or so.

As others have said, the pain comes on soon after you wake up and it's intense. I also felt like I was going to throw up and my head was spinning. It took several minutes before I could get oriented enough to walk to the house. I suffered frequent headaches for years after it happened.

cree
07-31-2006, 04:58 AM
Knocked out -- recently (three months ago). Involving my nine-year-old and a baseball bat, accidentally doing a Babe Ruth impression into my face.

What other people have said above - yes. Additions: A moment of clarity when I tried to assess - just how bad is this? Do I have a skull fracture? This laser-fast moment of clearheadedness was coupled with an inability to control my body -- I was losing consciousness and falling, vaguely aware of it happening, but thinking it was inconceivable that one moment I'm fine, the next flash of a second I'm contemplating skull fractures and unable to keep my legs under me. I recognized all this in a flash. Then I was out, about two minutes, then I was staggering for the house, forcing my body to comply, and still doing very clearheaded assessments (talking to myself, but not out loud): as in, OK, I can walk, I'm seeing spots, my left eye isn't quite focusing, etc...
Final assessment made at emergency room: concussion, fracture of eye socket, and a very contrite child.

Perks
07-31-2006, 05:00 AM
Oh my god. Is it okay that this story is a little bit funny? I'm so sorry. But, nice one. :)

alleycat
07-31-2006, 05:03 AM
What I remember most was a moment of absolute and total confusion as I was coming to. I think for a fraction of a second, I thought I was dead.

poetinahat
07-31-2006, 05:11 AM
Perks, I wonder about you. And jeez, Kevin. This twins thing is starting to scare me.

I got hit in the head playing high school baseball -- during warm-ups. I was running onto the field when I was collected by a wild throw from second to third. The second baseman was my height; the third baseman was eight inches shorter. The ball hit me just in front of the temple. I heard a loud crack -- just as though I'd hit a line drive myself with a wooden bat -- but louder, and fuzzier sounding.

I felt woozy, staggered for a couple of aimless steps, and dropped in a heap. I remember thinking while it was happening, "This must look just like it does in cartoons."

When I came to, there was the stereotypical circle of concerned faces looking down at me. Head throbbed and ached -- a lot of it on the side opposite the blow.

I sat in a friend's car for a while; my dad (a dentist with strong medical background) rushed over from his office and checked me out; no concussion, luckily.

Being fifteen, I was torn between soaking up the attention from the girls and getting into the game. I went back in for the sixth inning and hit a double.

Many years later, I got hit in the same place by a golf ball, from about ten yards. Who'd figure that the ball could fly sideways off a clubface? Same sound -- unmistakable. Didn't black out this time, lucky for my horrified wife. Mustn't have been so bad because I heard myself yell JESUS CHRIST, but I didn't really feel myself yelling.

My-Immortal
07-31-2006, 05:12 AM
This will probably explain a lot. LOL. Here are some of the times I remember getting knocked out...

As a kid, I was kicked in the forehead by another kid wearing steel-toed boots. I remember briefly seeing a bright light-like lightning-and everything went black. When I woke up, I didn't feel any pain-was numb all over-but when I started moving a severe headache slammed into me hard. I felt very dizzy and limp but didn't throw up.

Playing baseball I got hit in the back of the head just as I was about to reach homeplate. I was knocked out cold and landed on the plate. All I remember is running toward home - seeing the catcher's eyes going wide-and then a brief moment of pain followed almost instantly by blackness. Again, I didn't feel anything when I first woke up - but followed by headache, dizziness and a little nausea.

Playing indoor volleyball, I dove to hit the ball over the net and smacked headfirst into the folded up bleachers. Dented the bleachers, knocked myself out. Was out for maybe a minute or so (not sure). Ended up with two black eyes, dislocated collarbone and shoulder, and a concussion (bad headache, dizziness, and for a couple of days most light bothered me).

Had a ladder kick out from under me while painting the eaves of a barn - fell about twenty feet and landed on the ladder. Bent the aluminum ladder, bruised the bones in both thighs, and suffered a concussion/knocked out. That one was a little different because I had a second or two of knowing I was going to be hurt...lots of pain...I don't think I was knocked out immediately...a little fuzzy on the details with that one.

I've had a few others - soccer ball kicked straight into the face...going over the handlebars of a bike...car accidents...fall down stairs...but nothing too spectacularly different.

Hope that helps. :)

Perks
07-31-2006, 05:16 AM
Didn't black out this time, lucky for my horrified wife. Mustn't have been so bad because I heard myself yell JESUS CHRIST, but I didn't really feel myself yelling.See now, I know you well enough that you'll forgive me for choking on my wine just now. That was friggin' funny.

Silver King
07-31-2006, 05:16 AM
And Silver King, how long were you out? How much did it hurt afterwards? And what do you remember of coming-to?

I was hoping you weren't going to ask, but in the interest of research, here goes:

The blow was issued by the jealous ex-boyfriend of a girl I admired. This happened in my late teens. I don't remember when I came to, but when I did, my motor skills must've been intact, because I walked (or more likely, stumbled) about a half-mile from the scene of the struggle. I sat on the curb of a busy street, drenched in puke and blood. I recall only tidbits of detail; a passerby talking to me, a dog licking my fingers, a policeman aiming a flashlight in my eyes. I spent several days in a hospital, and years later, my folks told me the immediate prognosis was dire. It must've hurt, but in my case, I don't remember any of that part.

And as you can see from my sterling description, no long term effects are evident from the injury. I may hear voices now and then, but those come from a deeper area I try to stay away from.

Perks
07-31-2006, 05:19 AM
This scene is gonna be great... so much to choose from!

Cath
07-31-2006, 05:52 AM
The only time I went out was when I had my ears pierced, fainted and knocked my head on the counter on the way down. I woke up in the ambulance and passed out again - then again in the hospital.

For some reason, whenever I pass out (usually fainting - which for some reason, I do a lot) I dream of fairground roundabouts, then the world slowly comes back into focus, like waking from a dream where you know it's not quite right, but it takes a while for reality to re-assert itself.

Something people may or may not like to share - it's not unusual to wet your pants when you get knocked out.

Perks
07-31-2006, 05:54 AM
That makes sense. hmmm. I wonder if I'll use that.

You people are very generous with your trials and tribulations. Thank you! Don't stop! I mean, unless we're out of head injuries...

cree
07-31-2006, 05:54 AM
Oh my god. Is it okay that this story is a little bit funny? I'm so sorry. But, nice one. :)

It's already funny to me. :) I intend to keep this one alive during Thanksgiving family gatherings for many years to come. As in, remember the time you cold-cocked me in the face with a baseball bat and broke my eye socket? I anticipate this will be useful family lore throughout college, first girlfriends, weddings, grandkids, you name it.

Perks
07-31-2006, 05:56 AM
That one will have mileage for certain! He deserves it, the little punk - adorable as I'm sure he is...

Unique
08-02-2006, 05:01 AM
One of the garage door springs broke and the heavy, did I say heavy? steel garage door closed right on the top of my head. It hurt so bad I couldn't even swear.

The wonderful customer let her hatchback fall on the back of my head. I can't repeat what I think about her on a public board.

MattW
08-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Been hit by the handle of a falling sledgehammer (semi-self inflicted).

A ceramic baseball bat (sibling inflicted)

The back wall of a pool after performing a dive I had no business trying (no blackout, but did get a concussion)

That's the tricky part with head injuries - those are the only ones I can remember.

awatkins
08-02-2006, 07:53 PM
I can't believe I missed this! Must be residual something or other from being knocked unconscious.

When we were kids, my brother, cousin and I were all fighting over who would go down the slide first. My brother pushed me off the platform and I fell, bonking my head on the metal side leg of the swingset. I remember a simultaneous loud noise and a flash of bright white light just before everything went black. The next thing I remember is waking up on the ground and seeing my mom and aunt running toward me screaming. And the pain. Ahhhhh, the pain.

Good times.

Tornadoboy
08-03-2006, 07:08 AM
I once had an incident when I was just sitting there watching TV and the next thing I knew I was laying on my back with no memory of the previous two hours... oh wait a minute, I was just drunk.
Nevermind. :Wha:

Seriously I thought I once heard that if you are truly knocked out cold you will lose two minutes of memory previous to being struck, although I don't know if this jibes with the other stories here which clearly come from experience.
I think I heard that on one of those real life crime shows about some sicko whom murdered her kids and then claimed that someone else did it after breaking in and clobbering her over the head, for which she claimed she clearly remembered the feeling of being hit before passing out. The investigators knew right away she was lying because of this two minute gap people supposedly have, but I saw all this a long time ago so don't hold me to it.

PaperMoon
08-03-2006, 07:57 AM
I fell off of a swingset once when I was a kid, suffering a "mild concussion." Probably the most traumatic part of the whole experience was that I was blind for a while, perhaps an hour or less (although it felt like much more). I thought I would be blind for the rest of my life, during that brief time.

Whew, it's all coming back to me now. Thanks for making us relive our painful memories. :)

K-Mark
08-03-2006, 08:39 AM
40 minutes! I was in 7th grade and was one of the smallest in the school. Everytime the song SHOUT (Animal House) came on at the dance, my friends would throw me up in the air. :hooray: Now we were doing it in the schoolyard...for practice.

I don't remember falling, being dropped, or the white light. All I remember is waking up on my back looking up at the sky and a crowd looking down at me. I thought I was home in my bed waking up for school, but I was actually waking up to a nun kneeling over me. They told me I was knocked out for about 40 mins.

I went to the hospital and I had a concussion, but to be honest (which I wasn't at the time since I milked it for a few days off;) ) I felt no pain. Not even a headache. Weird, huh?

katiemac
08-03-2006, 08:53 AM
What I remember most was a moment of absolute and total confusion as I was coming to. I think for a fraction of a second, I thought I was dead.

I'll second that. Also toss in a moment of shock and panic, right before the confusion clears for good.

But then again I didn't get knocked out from a head injury, just a bunch of other stuff.

expatbrat
08-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Came off my bike doing 80km an hour in a 60 zone. We were playing chicken, last one to hit their breaks wins, I won. I was over taking cars flying down a hill in the Royal National Park (heading south, on the way to flat rock, if you know that area), when I hit the tiniest of stones and got the death wobbles.

First thing to hit was my head. This was 3 months after Australia had introduced compulsory bike helmet laws and a month after I had started complying. I wouldn’t have had a helmet on if not for the fines police kept pulling me over and threaten me with, and without that helmet I would have been dead. The helmet shattered and the road looked like someone had opened an entire beanbag and strewn it as far and wide as they could. My shoulder and hips bounced on the tar next and then the bike, with me attached to the pedals, hit the road throwing me around to do it all again (and maybe again and again, I don’t remember).

I landed in a National Park type stormwater drain. It was about 6 foot deep but when I came too and looked up I was convinced it was 60 foot deep. I couldn’t remember the crash, I remembered the death wobbles but not the actual crash. I panicked and started screaming ‘get me out of here’. Luckily all the cars I had just passed saw the whole thing and noticed me disappear down the big hole. They stopped and someone drove me to the hospital where nurses kept annoying me by asking the same questions over and over.

I can’t remember the headache nor a flash of light. I remember having to go back to the hospital every couple of days for months to get bits of road removed from the puss in my back. It interfered with my racing ability; I am much slower on the downhills these days.

Jamesaritchie
08-03-2006, 03:37 PM
I once had an incident when I was just sitting there watching TV and the next thing I knew I was laying on my back with no memory of the previous two hours... oh wait a minute, I was just drunk.
Nevermind. :Wha:

Seriously I thought I once heard that if you are truly knocked out cold you will lose two minutes of memory previous to being struck, although I don't know if this jibes with the other stories here which clearly come from experience.
I think I heard that on one of those real life crime shows about some sicko whom murdered her kids and then claimed that someone else did it after breaking in and clobbering her over the head, for which she claimed she clearly remembered the feeling of being hit before passing out. The investigators knew right away she was lying because of this two minute gap people supposedly have, but I saw all this a long time ago so don't hold me to it.

I had short term memory loss, but I clearly remember the five seconds or so before being knocked out. I didn't have a minor conscussion, I had a major one, very bad, but I still remember falling, and the sound inside my skull when my head hit the rock. Plenty of confusion after, but nothing wiped out those five seconds.

There was also the time I was running full speed, and I was a fast runner, but I was looking back over my shoulder and did not see the cement wall that jumped out in front of me. I hit it head first at top speed. The impact was awesome, but I had no idea what had happened. Just a flash of light, and then lying on my back looking up sometime later.

Not nearly as much damage as the other incident, but in some ways more memorable.

Fried From Dixie
08-04-2006, 06:12 AM
Let me see...first of all let me say that aside from being a writer, I am a farmer. You got it-this is a farm story. Several years ago we were feeding the cows (in the barn) and my husband who is very strong and thinks throwing hay bales (120+ lbs) across the hay mow and down the hole for the hay to be dropped (like a basketball) is fun, was 'shooting' a few bales. He said he was only getting a couple. A couple is two-right??? I proceeded to move the bales out of the way and he launched one more for good measure without warning. This sucker had to go about eight feet above the hole and then down through the hole at an undetermined speed but landed square on top of my head. The last thing I remember is saying "ow!" and my son, who was up there admiring his dad's free throw style saying "Mom?" I heard the scurrying of feet as I waved the 'birdies' out from in front of my face and then fell over-out cold. Thank goodness I landed on the other hay bales instead of the concrete floor. I could have done without the efforts of the cows to revive me though. Yuk! I had to have my neck x-rayed and go several times to the chiropractor to straighten it back out along with my back. I was compacted about an inch from the impact. I don't think I'm back to my 5' 7 1/2" inch stature yet. Probably never will be.

Jean Marie
08-04-2006, 06:17 AM
Perks, do you still need stuff? If so, I've got 2 good ones :D 1 funny one. Got knocked out by a dog. A guide dog in training, he jumped up to greet me, actually he flew, and hit me square in the forehead. He's retired, now. Weighs in at 125 lbs., a black lab. I crumpled at the knees, out cold for several minutes.

Perks
08-04-2006, 07:41 AM
Jean Marie, you so win with that one, I'm not sure I'll ever watch a guide dog (sumbitch gonna knock someone out) the same way again. I may have to use that. That is a thing of beauty.

Perks
08-04-2006, 07:42 AM
And FriedFrom Dixie, that is a rough way to lose altitude. Good lord!

HoosierCowgirl
08-04-2006, 08:11 AM
I was thrown by a bucking horse head-first into a metal gate. I wasn't wearing a helmet. My last conscious thought was resigned ... "Man, this is gonna hurt ..." But actually I heard a crash and then several minutes later woke up on the ground. Found my glasses (a miracle!) then staggered back to the house. I was nauseous and dizzy, had a lump the size of a baseball on my forehead and debated whether to call 9-1-1. The kids were freaking out. I looked and walked like Frankenstein. CAlled my mother in law and croaked out "I need help over here ..." and she flagged down my husband who took me to the ER. I didn't call 9-1-1 because the kids were napping and I didn't want to wake them up but the sound of a galloping horse and a tremendous crash did it for me. I had a CAT scan and numerous X-rays.

The funniest thing that happened was, a handsome young male EMT came in with a syringe and told me it was a shot for pain and was going in my -- er -- hip. I said no, YOU are not giving me a shot in the butt. Bring me Tylenol and I'll be fine.

I still have a dent in my skull but apparently at the last minute threw my arm over my head and my elbow took the worst of the blow. No broken bones but torn ligaments and muscles and lots of bruises.

Hope that helped.

Ann

katiemac
08-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Got knocked out by a dog. A guide dog in training, he jumped up to greet me, actually he flew, and hit me square in the forehead. He's retired, now. Weighs in at 125 lbs., a black lab. I crumpled at the knees, out cold for several minutes.

No kidding! I thought I was the only person who got knocked out from a dog injury, a black lab even. Only this one was 90lbs, and it was my fault.

Sparhawk
08-04-2006, 10:18 PM
I was 34 and I was competing in my last full contact fighting tournament. I was way too old and out of peak shape but I managed to squeak by into the semi finals.

I had to fight a guy named Joe "Brick" Briggs. HE was the biggest guy I'd ever seen. This was before they had weight classes etc .

I remember the first punch, I saw it briefly and when it hit I saw little jagged bolts of lightning by the corners of my vision. Everything seemed to tilt at about thirty degrees or so. I was able to block the follow up and actually get a few in, but I still was dazed. I saw the kick coming at my face, but I couldn't react to it fast enough. Everything movement fell into slow motion; I remember feeling a light pressure across my jaw but no pain; just a dull hard pressure. I heard a wierd buzzing like a circular saw off in the distance and saw a bunch of yellow swirls dancing in front of my eyes. IT seemed to last for several minutes and I actually remember trying to count the number of yellow blobs swirling in my head. The yellow swirls turned to black swirls, totally blocking out all the light and what was left of my vision. The last thing I remember was the muffled sound of the crowd as if I was in a tunnel and the saw noise just seemed to fade as I dropped.

The doctor said I was out for a good forty seconds and when I awoke I felt the pain from both the puch and the kick. My face was puffed up and the entire left side of my head was one big bruise.

Jean Marie
08-14-2006, 05:27 AM
No kidding! I thought I was the only person who got knocked out from a dog injury, a black lab even. Only this one was 90lbs, and it was my fault.
I forgot to mention the dear pup's name: Walker. I walk w/ him every day, now.

Nice to know I'm not the only one.

DeborahM
08-14-2006, 10:26 AM
A close friend of mine (for 24 years) went into a behavioral science therapy for one week because she was having some major problems adjusting to her daughter-in-laws death right after her fiance was hit by a drunk driver (He was in the hospital/rehab for 4 months).

Now Leslie, is not one of your best people persons and the truth will come out of her mouth before she can shut it, which is what I love about her.

Therefore she decided to take her meals in her room and not get caught in a conversation by someone she has no desire to get to know. After three days, she decided she'd try having her lunch in the dining room. She sat down and her lunch was served.

All she remembers is taking her first bite and woke up in the hospital where she was in the process of getting an x-ray.

Come to find out, one of the women dining thought Leslie was a very good friend of hers and decided to take her old fiberglass tray and hit her friend on the head. Needless to say, Leslie went back to taking her meals in her room and the woman was put into another area of the building, until she could be good. AND...I gaily remind Leslie of being konked on the head by her friend, never letting her live this down.

kjasmine
11-10-2006, 02:46 AM
I got clonked on the head by my horse. She was drinking water I was standing on the other side of the troth and my cell phone rang in my pocket. It spooked her she she threw her head up just as I was looking down to find my phone. She head butted me and I saw a burst of light then nothing. I fell straight back. I woke up a few minutes later and my horse was sniffing my face. I had a horrible headache and I threw up all the way to the hospital. They kept me overnight for observation because my horse gave me a concussion. This happened last month and I still get headaches and am sensitive to bright light now.

dclary
11-10-2006, 03:09 AM
I was on first base a few years ago and a line drive hit me in the head. I collapsed and passed out before I even knew it happened. Witnesses said it looked like I had no skeleton...I just went down like a sheet.

What is truly amazing is that this doesn't happen more often in baseball.

I accidentally hung myself on a tetherball pole once. I blacked out from lack of oxygen, which isn't quite the same. I don't remember the point where I blacked out... but suddenly came too with a bunch of faces right in my line of vision, and hands, and a knife (someone had cut the rope)... and vision went from red-tinted to regular.

For the next two weeks, people looked at the rope-burn scab on my neck and asked "Flea collar rub?"

Perks
11-10-2006, 03:36 AM
That's the lamest cover for auto-erotic-asphyxiation-gone-wrong I've ever heard, Dave. Try harder.

dclary
11-10-2006, 03:40 AM
That's the lamest cover for auto-erotic-asphyxiation-gone-wrong I've ever heard, Dave. Try harder.

The girl I did it in front of was horrified. :(

Tallymark
11-10-2006, 04:37 AM
I've never gone down from a hit to the head, but I did faint once from sheer exhaustion. I hadn't been sleeping (hadn't slept at *all* the night before) or eating, and then first thing in the morning I got roped into doing some strenuous aerobic exercise. (I should've said no, but I didn't want to admit I hadn't been sleeping or eating well). Made it about three minutes before I went down. I was probably only out for about thirty seconds, if even; somebody caught me, and what I remember is that as my vision came back everything was too dark, like a screen that had been messed with, and it was black around the edges. And *then* the sound came back, but that was muted too. After a minute or so it was back to normal, but it was fairly trippy.

Heh, my only other experience with unconsicousness was when I had my wisdom teeth out. They stuck the needle in my arm, and I frowned and said "Wait? you're going to leave it in there? How long are you going to leave it--?" and then I opened my eyes and everybody had already left the room. XD

Scarlett_156
11-10-2006, 05:26 AM
I've been hit on the head a bunch of times in various circumstances, but never had a loss of consciousness except on one notable occasion-- I t-boned a car doing about 30 mph on my motorcycle. I remember hitting the car and flying through the air, and striking the gravelly asphalt with my shoulder/arm. (I wasn't wearing a helmet.) The next thing I remember was opening my eyes and seeing the sun glaring down. I wasn't in any pain that I can recall. I was going "AAAAAAAAA! AAAAAA!" in this loud, weird-sounding monotone. I don't know if that started while I was out, or if that is the sound of returning consciousness. I guess that my head hit the curb and that's what knocked me out. I started trying to get up immediately. Some person at the scene, a lady, restrained me until the ambulance got there. I think I was out for about 20 seconds or so.

I don't recall having any sequelae from being hit on the head that time; I had so many other injuries that that became a minor concern. I DO remember the strange sensation of being knocked out-- opening my eyes and realizing that I had lost consciousness.

Incidentally I'll note that years later I was watching that show "COPS" on TV and they showed a couple on a motorcycle that had been struck by a car. The woman had been knocked out and when the paramedics started scraping her up she regained consciousness she started going "AAAAA! AAAAA!" It sounded just like the sound I had been making when I had my accident.

I hope this was helpful!

Melanie Nilles
11-10-2006, 07:18 AM
Here's another... Horseback riding accident. Well, not an accident to the horse--he bucked on purpose.

I didn't wear a helmet in those days (early teens) and was practicing my barrel racing. I got set to let my gelding loose, checked my watch, and we took off to the first barrel.

I don't even remember getting there. What happened after the first few strides passed before me as if I watched myself in a dream. I didn't feel him buck or feel myself leave the saddle. But like watching from over my shoulder, I saw myself lift out and begin to fall. After that, I have no memory, until I woke up in the grass of the tree row near that first barrel and checked my watch--45 minutes later.

I didn't hurt much, but my face was scraped up on one side. I didn't think anything was wrong so I found my horse standing near the corral as if nothing happened and untacked him. By the time I started toward the house afterwards, mom drove in the farmyard and about had a heart attack. She drove me to the hospital that night, where they wouldn't let me sleep, at least not much. Every 15 minutes, and later on every 30, they checked to be sure I could count how many fingers they held up (vision), and to asked me a couple of questions (cognitive).

I went home the next day with some ointment for the scrapes, but nothing more serious than that.

Melanie

Jongfan
11-10-2006, 07:40 AM
Mine was on the job. I worked in the ER of a hospital which had a locked psych unit. When the drill was called for extra persons, I had to respond.

Anyway a 20 something male did not want to be restrained and my head got in the way of his foot. Not sure if it was the kick or the whacking of the head on the floor which did it. I was out for 5 minutes. Woke up vomitting and blurred vision. The headache stayed for 3 weeks. The only trace left now after 11 years is my sensitivity to light... but I am fine now really ( define fine)

Southern_girl29
11-10-2006, 08:09 AM
I have two experiences. The first was in the seventh grade. For Christmas that year, I had gotten a ten-speed bike. My first time to take it out was over Spring break, and I had a friend spend the night. She rode my old bike, and I rode the new one. We were going down a major hill and I put on the wrong set of brakes and started flipping. My friend said I flipped over the handle bars. I landed in a ditch and hit my head on concrete tile. I do remember thinking that I was going to die while I was flying through the air, but not much else until I came to a little bit later.

When I came to, I couldn't feel my legs for a minute. It scared the sh*t out of me. My glasses had been knocked off, too, and I couldn't find them either. The minute I started to scramble to find them, the pain from the headache made me so sick that I threw up. My mom took me to the hospital, and I had a concussion. The next day was Easter, and I went to church, sporting a very pretty black eye. The pastor said it matched my dress, lol.

The second was a few years ago. I had a major wreck, tore all four tires off the rims, broke out every window and hit four trees. I hit my face on the steering wheel. As I was losing control, I remember thinking that I was going to die before I had experienced so many things that I wanted to do. I came to, crying and cried for hours. I didn't really have a headache this time. I just hurt all over. I do have lasting effects from this head injury. At first, it was panic attacks, but they went away on their own. Now, it's insomnia, and my doctor says I'll probably have that all my life. I also damaged all my upper teeth on that side and will have to have root canals on all of them.

AngryDoc
11-10-2006, 11:52 PM
Having practicd medicine for thirty years, I'm a bit concerned by these posts. On a simple statistical basis, I'm not sure there should be such a high percentage of people who have had there marbles rattled the way everyone's appear to have been rattled.

It truly makes me wonder--if an inordinately high percentage of writers have incurred head trauma, was sense knocked out of them or into them?
Angrydoc

lmcguire
11-11-2006, 09:30 PM
Well, probably not much use to the original poster this late, but maybe someone else will find it helpful.

I was a junior in college, I used a mountain bike to commute from my apt. to classes. I didn't wear a helmet when commuting because it gave me a 3-row mohawk. This event happened on Halloween.

I was on my way home from a Humanities class (shortly after 10 am) and I went over the bars of my bike. My last memory from before this event is sitting on the floor outside my class waiting for it to start (this was slightly more than an hour before the accident), so all this was told to me by others. I'm not clear on what happened - the witnesses didn't see much until it was over. It appears that either I was distracted by something and didn't see a pedestrian crossing the road or the pedestrian didn't see me coming and stepped out into the road. One person stated it looked like I put on the front brakes too hard (lots of mtn bike riders at the college). I went over the bars and landed head first.

(Still no memory of these events, they were related to me, I'll note where my memory starts...) My roomie, who related this part, wasn't sure if it was true but had heard I had to have mouth-to-mouth to get me breathing again (presumably had the wind knocked out of me really hard). Anywho, I was conscious by the time the ambulance arrived and I must have had serious brain damage because it took three guys to hold me down until the ambulance got there - I was struggling with them and going on about how I had to get home because I had homework to do. Anywho, they put me on the ambulance and took me off to the hospital.

(Side note: they ruined my favorite t-shirt and sweatshirt by cutting them off me, all other clothing I was wearing that day was unharmed, I got all of it, including the cut clothes, back.)

Here's the fun part, one of the guys in the ambulance knew my mom's parents, so when he asked my name, he recognized the last name as related to my mom's father, so at the hospital they looked up my grandfather's records, contacted my aunt, who contacted my mom, who later contacted my roommate (who had come home for lunch that day, which was unusual), who came to the hospital and later called other friends (one named Dave (who was running late that day and therefore still home) who comes in later).

They let my roommate hang out with me in the ER. Seems they kept trying to get me to lie on my back, but I refused and was lying on my side holding onto the rails of the bed for dear life. After Dave arrived, he was successful at getting me to let go of the bed and lie on my back, but at the expense of giving up his hand for me to hold... This must have been after the x-rays and cat scan because while he was there they started to do stitches and it seems he couldn't take it and had to pry my fingers loose and leave. My roommate replaced him (reported later he was white as a sheet - seems there was a lot of blood), but I wasn't interested in holding her hand :D...

Anywho, I had a concussion and a 2-2.5 inch skull fracture (can still feel the ridge where the bone healed). 5 to 7 hours after the accident (they had moved me to intermediate care), I came to - to a degree, but I'm pretty sure I was still in shock. My aunt, roommate and roommate's friend were there and I remember (this is where my memory starts) looking around, seeing them, seeing one of those aluminum-frame portable toilet thingies, asking if that was a toilet, someone saying yes and getting up to pee (I *really* had to go) before they could leave, despite their request for me to wait while they left :D - I couldn't have cared less.

I have vague memories of munching some crushed ice and that's it for that day. The next day they came to move me to a room and that was when I realized that the beeping sound was my heart via the wires that were stuck to me (I remember hearing the beep but it didn't occur to me that there were wires attached to me and the beeping was my heart). I don't remember a lot from the hospital, but don't read the next sentence if you're easily grossed out (not that it's that gross, but).... I puked a lot (later found out from my mom that it was because they were giving me codeine, which makes me nauseous - how she knew that and I didn't, I don't know), they had a thing in the toilet so they could measure how much I went... I think they came fairly frequently to wake me up and take my temp and stuff. It was a couple of days before I felt like going for a walk (holding the IV stand with one hand and my roomie's arm with the other). I couldn't read or watch tv (made my head hurt more), and later discovered it was hard to remember large words - I knew what I wanted to say, but it was hard to remember the word (this went away after some weeks). I think mostly I slept. There were things my roomie told me in the hospital which I didn't remember (I know because she mentioned them later and I had no recollection).

Hospitals are very lonely places (I had my own room, don't know if a shared room would have been different). (So if anyone you know is in the hospital, just show up for a while, you don't need to bring anything or say anything in particular, show up and chat about how your day was or something.) I was in the hospital for a week - they didn't want to let me go until I could keep food down (too bad we didn't know about the codeine). After that, I spent a week mostly at home (I wasn't allowed to wash my hair until they removed the stitches (13 of them) at the end of the week at home). I couldn't lie flat on my back until the end of the first week out of the hospital (the pressure on my head was too painful). The first night out of the hospital I woke up in the night in pain and got up and took 2 Tylenol. A while later, when I couldn't take it anymore, I got up and took 4 more - that did the trick...

At the end of the first week out, I had the stitches out and started going back to classes. Some time in there, I went back to the neurologist who had me lie down on my back, with my shoes and socks off, and she wrote numbers and letters on the palms of my hands and soles of my feet with a tongue depressor and I had to tell her what the letter / number was. She seemed satisfied with my answers and I never had to go back.

Long-ish term effects: When I went back to classes, I had to take the stairs slow - up and down - either way it caused pain and going down it was difficult to visually distinguish the different stairs (the edge and depth perception just wasn't right - had to hold the rail) - and elevators were a no-go - they made my head hurt (can only assume the pressure was changing too quickly)... I couldn't eat chocolate (bar-type; pudding and ice cream were OK)*, burritos (I make my own and ate them nearly every day) or blueberry bagels (also ate them very frequently) for a good three months after the accident. The chocolate was still an issue for about 3-4 years - sometimes it looked good and was, looked good and wasn't, looked bad and was, looked bad, but was good... I discovered quite some time later that my nose no longer worked right. My sense of smell was gone or very weak and when I could smell things, I couldn't tell you if it smelled good or bad - it just had an odor. This is still the case 16 years later.

*My aunt and someone else I know had a similar aversion to chocolate for quite some time after a serious injury - don't know if that means anything.

The crack in my head was on the back, right side, where the top of your head meets the side & back, if that makes sense. I don't know if I had a secondary concussion on the front-left, but it's possible.

HTH,

Liz

lilyteague
12-08-2006, 07:56 AM
I was bucked off a horse almost five years ago. I hit the very dry Oklahoma ground rather hard. My head wasn't the first to hit, but it was the last thing to hit the ground. My husband was bucked off his horse at the same time and was severely injured. I was only out about five minutes. When I came to I was able to remember that we had ridden up on a rattlesnake, so I was scrambling around!

My husband had landed on his straight on his head and shoulder, cranking his neck. He refused any help and insisted on getting back on his horse and riding to the barn. Once there, it took several hours to get him talked into taking a ride to the emergency room. (Just part of being a cowboy -- I've known too many bullriders not take any medical attention, only to not know what state they are in later in the evening.)

In all the hoopla going on, I forgot I was knocked out and probably should have been looked at as well. No blood, slight headache. No prob.

A couple days later I got lost driving home from town. I was surprised to find out we had a dog. Then I found out that I had no idea how to operate the washing machine. It was really scary. I spent a couple of hours crying over the washing machine incident. It can be frustrating to look at something you've used a hundred times and not be able to understand it.

Doctor said nothing could be done, just figure out the things I had forgotten. Lot's of help!

I have a excellent memory for details and written words (almost photographic), and that is completely in tact. However, to this day I mix things up. I constantly put the ice cream, cereal, remote control, telephone and my wallet in the refrigerator without knowing it. We find empty food boxes in the cabinets. I can never find my keys. They turn up in the strangest places. Like the silverware drawer. I run the dishwasher and washing machine without loading them. I mix up certain words consistently when I talk, but not when I write. It is very interesting. If not for lists, organization and repetition, I don't think we'd be able to find anything around here!

mooncars
12-08-2006, 08:28 AM
First time was a baseball bat. I went out and when I came to, my head was aching like someone drove a spike through it.

2nd time it was a 3 iron (a sports theme seems to be emerging). Right to the temple. I went down to my knees. The whole right of my face was shiny black for weeks. My nose was broken and huge blood clots formed in my nostrils. That felt like my face bones were shattered.

Thank goodness no more of these events after I was 10 years old. Although I banged my head into a pipe in a factory a few years back. I went cross-eyed and could taste blood although there was none.

I wear a bubble pack suit now,
Rick

Rashenbo
12-08-2006, 06:05 PM
It may not be what you are looking for... but when I was a child, I had this great bike. It was a banana seat bike with the wide handle bars... (most of you probably know the kind of bike I'm talking about). Anyway, my friend and I had been eyeballing this really steep driveway to a house on the hill and we eventually decided it would be a great idea to ride our bikes to the top of the driveway and then lift our feet and let gravity pull our bikes down.

I have a crystal clear memory of being in the cul de sac. I can remember the warm sun, the feel of my bike and the yellow of its seat... I remember looking up that driveway.. the next thing I remember is waking up in the hospital with my mother, father and a doctor leaning over me. All of them with the most concerned expressions I've ever seen.

I have no recollection but this is what I've been told happened.

I made it to the top of the driveway, lifted my feet, came flying down the driveway, hit a rock, lost control, hit my head and then skidded on my right side down the rest of the driveway. My friend rushed to my house to get my dad. My dad came and got me and took me to the pet store where my mother worked. I was bloody and dirty, but my parents weren't concerned until they asked me if I was ok. At that point, I began saying, "who am i" , "it hurts" , "where am I" - I would say these things randomly to any question I was asked and said nothing but those three phrases.

My brain was apparently on auto-pilot. They rushed me to the hospital and yup... I had temporary amnesia (and a concussion, and rocks rocks under my skin in quite a few places). Eventually I fell asleep and when I woke up I had no memory of anything that had happened.

Del
12-08-2006, 07:28 PM
Three times...sort of.

Eleven years old. I was small for my age and my 15 y.o. sister was able to reach over and raise me over her head before I knew what was happening. She spun me, round and round in the air and then put me down on my feet. I recall seeing the floor come up to me but had no sense of falling. Wham! I remember the blackness but couldn't have been out for more than a second or two because when I awoke I heard them all laughing. I don't remember jumping up really but I ran to my room crying, totally aware of my pain. Later they said I looked like a falling tree, stiff, straight, right over on my nose. This one is almost funny, now.

The sort of one was when I was standing beside a pressurized tank that exploded. I remained standing but was stupefied. The volume of air, the noise, the blast, I literally thought I might be dead. Everything was surreal. I felt compressed. As my ears stopped ringing and I came back to senses slowly (no idea how long), I began to realize I was still alive and I checked myself for injuries. Scary scary (shutter). I remember shortly after wondering; if this was just air what would a grenade be like?!

The third was in my brand new Chevy van ( :( never got a chance to make love in it), a woman ran a stop sign speeding and hit me broadside (T-boned). I remember seeing her coming briefly and then the lights went out, but I saw gray, the color of the interior. I wasn't out long and when I came to I didn't understand much but felt completely awake and lucid. It wasn't until after that I realized I was upside down. And then there was the phone pole setting on the dashboard, completely obscuring the view. I wondered when and how I had knocked down the pole. As I tried to move, gravity made itself known and I realized that it was me that was knocked down. The van was on its side with the pole embedded across the a-pillars with the roof wrapped down over it. I slipped from my seatbelt and fell to the passenger door, which was beneath me. I sat for a short bit, still trying to sort it out, feeling clearer than usual but it was an empty feeling like a huge coffee can and thoughts came slowly. Then a window crashed in the back and a fireman looked in and said "Don't move," so of course I climbed out the back. A policeman guided me to sit on a curb where I spent the time, waiting for the ambulance, cracking jokes.

Later I was able to understand that she pushed me airborne and I hit the pole about three feet off the ground and sideways. I only recall the initial crash in part and my head hitting the side window. Next I was hanging. I had no anger or concern, and time wasn’t really relevant – like I wasn’t waiting, I was just there. The E.R. marveled over me not being in any pain. That came a few hours later and lasted for weeks.

And she had no insurance… :(

Del
12-08-2006, 07:46 PM
someone drove me to the hospital where nurses kept annoying me by asking the same questions over and over.

OH YEAH! LOL. In the E.R. a nurse asked "Do you know who the president is?"

I said "Yes," but nothing else. She looked at me oddly but didn't say anything. It wasn't 'til later I realized she wanted me to actually name him. (Clinton. Who could forget.)

truelyana
12-08-2006, 07:47 PM
I need to know about it, but I'm not all that keen on suffering that much for my craft.

So, if you've ever been knocked unconscious by a blow to the head and feel like reliving the nightmare, I'd love to burden you.

What implement did the trick? How long were you out? How bad did it hurt? And what was your state of mind, earliest you can remember, upon coming to?

Feel free to PM me, or post it here so we call all laugh (and I can learn) at your expense.

Yep, it happened to me in the mid teens whilst i was on holiday on the beach. On one side of the beach there was a rock sea water swimming pool, and in order to walk there you had to walk across this black rock pathway which was connected to the sea water pool. All i know i was walking along it once, and i had slipped and fallen and banged the head on the rock.(There was a giant bang as it hit the rock) I went out cold, and lost all the senses and was in pitch darkness for a while with eyes open. I think i didnt realise what had happened physically because, i just flew off somewhere unconsciously. I dont know how long i was out but, i seem to have been ok physically, as family was helping me walk back to the sandy spot but, was slightly disorentaited (however u spell it hehe)

Also another time, a firework(not any firework, those pirotecnic giant ones) landed near me and my dad. I lost all my senses here again, and it went dark for a little while. The only effect the whole night was that i couldnt hear a sound.

Del
12-08-2006, 08:19 PM
It truly makes me wonder--if an inordinately high percentage of writers have incurred head trauma, was sense knocked out of them or into them?
Angrydoc

Sense? :Shrug:

Del
12-08-2006, 09:08 PM
I have a excellent memory for details and written words (almost photographic), and that is completely in tact. However, to this day I mix things up. I constantly put the ice cream, cereal, remote control, telephone and my wallet in the refrigerator without knowing it. We find empty food boxes in the cabinets. I can never find my keys. They turn up in the strangest places. Like the silverware drawer. I run the dishwasher and washing machine without loading them. I mix up certain words consistently when I talk, but not when I write. It is very interesting. If not for lists, organization and repetition, I don't think we'd be able to find anything around here!

Same here. I have lingering effects from the crash (I think, other crashes and other injuries along the way make it difficult to actually relate it to anything specific). I started getting lost in a city I was in for 20 years. Things became harder to do - just harder with no real understanding of how. The degradation continued for a long time until it JUMPED into me not being able to fully control my limbs. That started with running, where it was like running in water and I'd fall because my upper body was beating my lower body to the finish. And then it became all limbs all the time and if I move like a sloth I can accomplish things but try to move normal and I jerk and overshoot and weave and stumble and look generally like I've been drinking. I have language difficulties and words disappear from my mind. I mix up letters on the key board (I work for these posts). Fairly frustrating for a would be writer. Names go away, almost, like I can recall them but am uncertain if they are right, even my own. There are good days where I appear almost normal and bad where I need help to get across the room. Sometimes my mind is sharp and sometimes it slips. Mostly it is midway. I've always had a problem with mixing words up. That's just piled on top.

During all of this was when I wrote my book, over about 7 years now. Literature doesn't often expose the lingering effects of these injuries. I did see a movie with Jeff Bridges where he degraded from normal to slurred speech and paralysis over several hours and then died. The other guy got all the money. :)

gazprids
12-10-2006, 12:36 AM
I have never been knocked out but a guy head butted me in a bar this summer and i was badly cut.
The attacker was immediatly out cold and arrested for his trouble!!!!
My friends still laugh at the story now and will for years to come.

Gray
12-10-2006, 12:50 AM
I was at a rock concert when a crowd surfer wearing steel toes, heeled the top of my head, what follows would be simillar to the stuff you already have, the pain is often delayed in a hard hit to the head, beside an explosion of light it felt like cold water shooting out of my nose, no blood or snot just a sensation. My friends and the crowd passed me forward like I was surfing except I was unconscious. I woke up back stage with a pounding headache and a lump on top of my head. At least I got to meet the band. .

aliajohnson
12-10-2006, 01:17 AM
I wasn't a witness to this, but thought I'd share as it's a little different. My brother lived in a frat house during college. One evening he took a shower, got out, and (as far as we can tell) slipped on the wet floor and knocked himself out cold. (Before any one asks, no alcohol was involved). No one's quite sure how long he was out for but apparently he got up, threw a robe on, came downstairs and said:

"Where am I and who the hell are all of you?"

He spent the better part of a week in the hospital and regained all of his memory except for everything that happened in the two months preceeding the accident.
None of the doctors seemed particularly surprised by this, so I'm assuming he's not the first it's happened to.

greatfish
12-11-2006, 04:51 AM
Here's a little science info on the subject if you're interested in getting the details of knocking someone out (http://www.straightdope.com/columns/060505.html) correct. Apparently it's much easier to get knocked unconscious from having your head get spun to the side rather than get thrown backwards or forwards.

Perks
12-11-2006, 04:52 AM
Oh good! That's what I did to her.

GPatten
12-12-2006, 01:48 PM
KTC,
It was pretty much the same with me. In high school, I was sitting in the bleachers – ground level watching a pitcher worming up, I was five feet away from the catcher when I bent down to tie my shoes. Upon looking up, a fastball hit me square on the nose. I felt it but only for a microsecond and it didn’t hurt until I woke up a few minutes later.

It hurt then, and I was covered in blood. The school nurse took me home and knocked on the front door. Mom took one look at me and passed out.

mexcindi
01-07-2007, 06:32 AM
[quote=Cath]The only time I went out was when I had my ears pierced, fainted and knocked my head on the counter on the way down. I woke up in the ambulance and passed out again - then again in the hospital.

Cath...did you have a concussion? Did you hit your head very hard on the counter? Were you standing or sitting when you fainted? Did you have to stay in the hospital?

Thanks...I have a WIP in which the lead is sitting in a chair, faints because of some news she is given, and hits her head on the corner of the desk on her way to the floor. I want to be sure my description and the advice the doctor gives her later is accurate.

By the way, I like the picture of the cat you use. Is it yours? He or she looks like my old cat.

Dixie
01-09-2007, 12:39 AM
I remember in 10th grade I was trying out for the Varsity Basketball team (didnt make it- but did make the varsity track team) I was set as post on the basketball court. I went to screen and the other girl (a senior easily twice my size) came around, went for a lay up - when she did, my head and her knee met - and BAM!! I woke up with the coach carrying me to the coach's office to sit on the couch. I asked what the fuss was and he said I was out cold for a couple of minutes and he was calling an ambulance. I told him to not worry about it - the local ER is useless. I told him Id go to the clinic after school - helluva lot cheaper anyway for the same service.

I will tell you though that was minor compared to the kid that did air splat one day in the gym. They were having a FCA meeting in the gym and he jumped off the edge of the bleachers and grab the rim of the goal nearby, well he missed and landed right on his cerebellum at the base of his skull.

Of course with this being a religious group they were praying and stuff. The ambulance came, then they called the bird and flew him to Little Rock. He was unconscious for a week, and ended up staying another two weeks. He came out and he was fine except for his speech was still slurred like he was drunk. After some intensive speech therapy he was back to normal like nothing never happened. Needless to say the kid was lucky. He had to sit out of sports for a year though I dont think it hindered him one bit - now he's playing collegiate baseball.

BlueTexas
01-09-2007, 12:46 AM
Don't know if you're still in need of stories, but I've been knocked out three times.

The first time I was 13 or so, and was slammed on the head with a rock by a disturbed member of my church youth group. I was on a swing, and I woke up on the ground on my back with my legs still hanging from the swing. Hurt like hell. I think I was out about five minutes. All I remember is pain, then black, then waking up and more pain and more black whenever I blinked.

The second time was on a small sailboat. I was 22 I think. I got hit in the head with the boom, the metal bar that holds the bottom of the sail. I was out a little longer that time, and remember absolutely nothing. After that, I have a really hard time remembering childhood events and some things from when I was a teenager. I had a big lump.

The third time was also related to sailing. A wooden support bar with chains hanging from it (was part of the boat trailer, used to secure the sailboat) fell on my head. Woke up in the dirt again, saw stars that time. Another big lump. Actually, the last two happened a couple months apart, so I'm not sure which was responsible for the memory loss.

The first two did cause concussions, had to have someone watch me sleep, all that. The third time I didn't see a doctor. But now I have an excuse when I run into someone whose name I can't recall :) And yes, I still sail. Once in a great while.

Dixie
01-09-2007, 05:48 AM
Sounds like you need to invest in a helmet out there son. :D

BlueTexas
01-09-2007, 06:05 AM
Sounds like you need to invest in a helmet out there son. :D

Um, I'm a girl :)