PDA

View Full Version : Have the Illuminati/Masons/Tempars conspiricies run their course??

Christine N.
05-07-2006, 09:00 PM
Do you all think that the Secret Society storyline has been done to death? There's a reason for me asking, obviously. It's part of the subplot of my series. Now, I was going to use the Rosicrucians, but I'm rethinking, making up my own society, and their nemesis.

Of course, the books are for Middle Schoolers, most of whom may not have been turned on to the National Treasure/DaVinci Code line of thought.

I don't think I'm going to take it out, just wanted your opinions. By the time the books where it really comes into play are done and out, it'll be years and years from now.

Or do you think that everyone loves a good conspiracy? OMG, I spelled Templars wrong in the thread title. Sorry.

Christine Lorang
05-07-2006, 10:08 PM
well, I'm a little tired of hearing about the Illuminati, but I'm also getting tired of Vampires, and they seem to still be going strong with the rest of the world.

aadams73
05-07-2006, 10:30 PM
There's always room in bookstores for a really good story.

gabbleandhiss
05-07-2006, 10:41 PM
There are numerous books on this subject / these subjects. Long before The DaVinci Code books like Holy Blood, Holy Grail and Bloodline of the Holy Grail were causing an uproar. Books like these always will attract an audience--particularly the ones that equate the Holy Grail with the genealogy of Jesus. On top of that, religious texts (like the Nag Hammadi scrolls) are still being transcribed. So, it's unlikely the subject matter will ever be done to death. That being said, The DaVinci Code is going to take a backseat to next season's crop of conspiratorial stories.

If you still want to pursue the secret society subplot, think about your target audience. How many young readers will understand the significance of these stories? And how many young readers will be able to identify with these stories or characters? If you write the story a la Indiana Jones, National Treasure, Goonies, then you're writing for the sake of entertainment, not education, enlightenment, or controversy. And I'm not sayin' that's a bad thing. The point is, there are a couple different ways of writing on the Holy Grail, Illuminati, Rosicrucian, Knights Templar, Mason subjects. One way is to write it like The DaVinci Code, which was basically 'Holy Grail 101 for Dummies'. That type of story will be re-written through the ages. Doubt it will become passe. However, it will take a bit of research, talent, and luck to turn such a story into an empire in these days.

Ultimately, good stories sell no matter what the subject matter.

veinglory
05-07-2006, 11:10 PM
These ideas have been around in fiction and non-fiction for centuries. Sure the Da Vinci Code caused a big explosion but even after it's gone similar ideas will still appeal to a substantial audience of people...

Christine N.
05-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Well, my society is more like an Order of the Phoenix than a Priory of Scion; so in that way, yes, I think the audience will undertand it. It's not really like a religious thing, but they do have something to protect. It's all rather thrilling to me - but I'm pretty biased :)

I already have the last book of the series in mind - think DaVinci Code meets Lara Croft for Middle schoolers. But the preceeding books have plenty of adventure and intrigue too.

badducky
05-08-2006, 01:23 AM
Well, I'm actually reading Foucalt's Pendulum right now, and I have no problem with the secret society stuff.

Like the girl (sorry, aadams) said, there's always room for a great story!

Sassenach
05-08-2006, 01:26 AM
I predict Kiwanis/Rotary Club conspiracy theories will be the next big thing.

Christine N.
05-08-2006, 01:38 AM
Nah, Jr. Women's club.

Why is it no one ever suspects the Eastern Star??? LOL

Vomaxx
05-08-2006, 02:22 AM
Nazis in Paraguay plotting the 4th--or by now the 14th--Reich? The Council of Foreign Relations? The Bilderbergers?

Conspiracy theories have an endless fascination for the general public, much to the frustration of historians.

MadScientistMatt
05-08-2006, 03:38 AM
Conspiracy theories may gain and lose popularity, but they never seem to go away entirely.

I don't envy the author who has to write the FAQ for the Trilateral Commission's website (http://www.trilateral.org/moreinfo/faqs.htm) and has to field all the varieties of "Are you a secret society out to take over the world?

badducky
05-08-2006, 09:09 AM
I'm still waiting for the book about how Bigfoots across the globe are trying to prove the existence of people. All they have are crazy fringe members talking about sightings, and an occasional grainy video of the mysterious giant metal birds and hornets eating people and flying away.

And look at how weird they move! Do you think someone just shaved their kids and made them run away screaming?

If I did it, it would only be a short story. I don't think I have this novel in me, just yet.

Julie Worth
05-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Conspiracy theories may gain and lose popularity, but they never seem to go away entirely.

No kidding! I develop one if my email goes missing.

Diana Hignutt
05-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Good God, I hope not. I've got Rosicrucians. I've got Black Lodges. I've got at least three different secret societies bumping heads in my WIP.

AdamH
05-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Conspiracies and cover-ups will always be intriguing. It gives us all a reason to believe that there's more going on out there than what we see.

scarlet
05-08-2006, 08:36 PM
May I also venture to suggest that another element of the Da Vinci Code and similar is the excitement of looking for buried treasure. Particularly, when you are following some very cryptic clues. People have been searching and finding hoards of loot for centuries, so I doubt the interest in this will wane either. I'm still trying to find the 'treasure' hidden in my own writing but it's well buried at the moment:D

Good luck with the book Christine N!

NicoleJLeBoeuf
05-08-2006, 09:08 PM
There's always room in bookstores for a really good story.I read that, "There's always room for bookstores in a good story," and I thought, Yippee! I just wrote a draft for a novel involving a magic bookstore! I'm so glad to hear you think so!

Then I reread your post and saw I'd gotten the prepositions backwards.

Still, I submit there is always room for bookstores in a good story.

Christine N.
05-08-2006, 10:49 PM
LOL. Nicole, my basis of the series is a secret library with magic books. The whole secret society thing is really a subplot that begins to appear in the second book and picks up steam in the last three - I think they'll only be five in the series, but perhaps a number 6 will show itself.

And Scarlet - there ARE plenty of cryptic clues and treasure hunts in the first book; and that runs throughout the series. What they're looking for changes, but the theme is the same.

I actually can't wait to get this series out - I'm super excited about it, even after five drafts pre-editor. I'm sure by the time we get to the final galleys I'll be sick of it.. but maybe not. I LOVE reading it over and over!

scarletpeaches
05-08-2006, 11:14 PM
well, I'm a little tired of hearing about the Illuminati, but I'm also getting tired of Vampires, and they seem to still be going strong with the rest of the world.

You've just given me a fantastic crossover idea - NOBODY STEAL IT!

alleycat
05-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Has anyone mentioned the evil Moose Lodge?

;-)

Christine N.
05-09-2006, 12:36 AM
How about this for a book - the Eastern Star, in an effort to overthrow the Church, recruits graduates of Yale, all vampire members of the Skulls. Trying to stop them is the Kiwanis, aided by a rogue force of Illumiacusians.

No?

James D. Macdonald
05-09-2006, 12:46 AM
Better not have run their course ... I've got one under contract.

zeprosnepsid
05-09-2006, 01:36 AM
I think people will always be fascinated by the occult and the hermetic. So I wouldn't worry about it.

P.S. Eco's the man. I love that guy.

HoosierCowgirl
05-09-2006, 05:29 AM
I fear for our children since the Kiwanis Club has this youth soccer thing going on.

Ann

Christine N.
05-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Ya know who you REALLy need to watch...

Those Red Hat Society chicks. Purple and Red???

Yeah, there's something going on there.

<now wondering how I could work RHS into a short story, 'cause it sounds cool>

Euan H.
05-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Have the Illuminati/Masons/Templars conspiricies run their course??
That's what they want you to think.