Status
Not open for further replies.

Writing Jedi

Registered
Reaction score
I mean, is there a proper way?

Do you say, "She shushed him" ??
Or can you say, "Shhh," she said.
And if you type "Shhh", is there a particular way you are supposed to do it? Like, is it "Sh", or "Shhhhhhh", or "Shhh"...Is there a certain number of H's or is it however the heck you want?

I guess there are some things that don't have to be expressed in a standard way but it drives me nuts every time I see it in my manuscript.

Thanks for all thoughts.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Word's spell checker--which is pretty conservative when it comes to accepting new words--doesn't flag Sh. I've added Shh, my preferred spelling. To my eye, anything beyong 2 H's looks funny.

Those are just for dialogue, of course. As a verb, you could use "she shushed him," but there's almost always a less awkward way to phrase it. It would depend a lot on the voice of the narrating character.

Maryn, whose narrators are often pretty laid-back about language

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I've wondered about this myself. I tend to use a variable number of h's depending on how long the 'sh' is. As it is just an onomatapea (sp?) I don't worry too much about what the dictionary thinks.

Zolah

Over the hills and far away
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoemarriott.com
Writing Jedi said:
I mean, is there a proper way?

Do you say, "She shushed him" ??
Or can you say, "Shhh," she said.
And if you type "Shhh", is there a particular way you are supposed to do it? Like, is it "Sh", or "Shhhhhhh", or "Shhh"...Is there a certain number of H's or is it however the heck you want?

I guess there are some things that don't have to be expressed in a standard way but it drives me nuts every time I see it in my manuscript.

Thanks for all thoughts.

Maybe this is only a British thing, but around here 'She hushed him' means exactly the same thing and is far less awkward than using 'shush' as a verb. I don't know if this is accepted on the other side of the Pond though...

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Zolah said:
Maybe this is only a British thing, but around here 'She hushed him' means exactly the same thing and is far less awkward than using 'shush' as a verb. I don't know if this is accepted on the other side of the Pond though...
I use "hushed" as well (in the U.S.). Also "shushed" & "'Shh.'"

FedUp

I think that "she shushed him" sounds more Southern. My Grandmother would say "she shushed him" where my Mom would say, "She told him to hush" :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Shh

Dictionaries I've looked at list both "sh" and "shh" as meaning "Be silent."

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Zolah said:

It is, but, at least in the US, "hush" means "to be quiet" as well as "make someone else be quiet." If there is a direct object involved, it wouldn't be a problem, but I'm just saying.

Also, "Shush" means "to demand quiet," while "hush" means "to make someone quiet," which may mean two different things, depending on how the person reacts. You can shush someone without hushing them, if they aren't listening.

zarch

GOML.
Registered
Reaction score
FedUp said:
I think that "she shushed him" sounds more Southern. My Grandmother would say "she shushed him" where my Mom would say, "She told him to hush" :)

Did someone say Southern?

Shuddup and pass the grits 'afore I knock you upside the head.

Zolah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoemarriott.com
Celia Cyanide said:
It is, but, at least in the US, "hush" means "to be quiet" as well as "make someone else be quiet." If there is a direct object involved, it wouldn't be a problem, but I'm just saying.

Also, "Shush" means "to demand quiet," while "hush" means "to make someone quiet," which may mean two different things, depending on how the person reacts. You can shush someone without hushing them, if they aren't listening.

Yes, I know the difference - I just mean that if I were to say that I had hushed someone, people in the UK would automatically assume I had gone 'Shh!'. It conveys the same meaning, even if the sentence went: 'She hushed him, but he continued to grumble loudly'. But, as I said, I don't know if 'hush' is used in the same way colloquially in the US.

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Zolah said:

Here in the Colonies, you can "hush" someone in an almost infinite variety of ways. "Hushing" to me could be achieved by something as innocent as a forefinger pressed against the lips, to something as permanant as killing them. But there's little doubt when "Shushing" is used. That usually involves the "Shh" sound or the forefinger on the lips or a combo.

But that's for prose. If "hush" is used in dialogue ("Alright, hush now..."), then you hardly expect anything violent. "Hush" in this instance is almost always inferred as (IMO) a severe suggestion.

Zolah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoemarriott.com
gp101 said:
Here in the Colonies, you can "hush" someone in an almost infinite variety of ways. "Hushing" to me could be achieved by something as innocent as a forefinger pressed against the lips, to something as permanant as killing them. But there's little doubt when "Shushing" is used. That usually involves the "Shh" sound or the forefinger on the lips or a combo.

But that's for prose. If "hush" is used in dialogue ("Alright, hush now..."), then you hardly expect anything violent. "Hush" in this instance is almost always inferred as (IMO) a severe suggestion.

See explanation to Celia Cynanide, above. Damn Colonials - always making things awkward.

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Zolah said:
See explanation to Celia Cynanide, above. Damn Colonials - always making things awkward.

WTH! Next thing you know you'll raise our tea tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.