PDA

View Full Version : Can't think of a title!!!

HourglassMemory
04-10-2006, 09:26 PM
I've been twisting and turning around in my bed trying to find a title for my novel. But I just can't find anything that suits it. It's always long and ... corny.
The only one that I've thought of, and that more or less fits what I want is simply "The Journey".
Now I would like your help... a few ideas and all of that.. but I'm afraid to post my entire aidea here...you never know who might be reading this ...trying to steal someone's idea.... and the only way for you to help me is to post here what the entire story is about... and I don't think I can do that. PErhaps e-mails? I don't know.

MadScientistMatt
04-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Just call it "The Journey" if you can't think of anything better. Many books don't have their original title by the time they make it to publication anyway.

NeuroFizz
04-10-2006, 09:40 PM
How about Passageway to Paranoia. (lingua in bucca, by the way)

I hear it's only rumored trolls are on the prowl to steal ideas from those who write original stuff. You could put a sample in the Share Your Work section. We all have our own incredibly fabulous, sure-fire bestseller ideas, so you needn't worry about us pulling all-nighters to scoop you. (more lingua)

omega12596
04-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Angela Knight gave me some of the best advice on titles. Keep it short, sweet, and to the point. Keep it less than four words.

Looks like you've got that already, LOL. And Matt is right, as WIP's go along a new title sometimes emerges. Good luck to you!

Tornadoboy
04-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Personally I'm a fan of titles that don't make any sense until very late in the story, so then the reader goes "Oh wow, now I get it!", whether it originates from a line of dialog by one of the characters, a newly revealed element of the plot, etc.

Jaycinth
04-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Everything I write starts life titled "Once Upon A Time" That way, since my tale has a title, I don't need to worry about it. Then, at some point, the title flies out of the sky and hits me like a 2x4 with a nail in it.

PRESTO!!!!

And on the day it doesn't happen, there will be a book titled "Once Upon A Time".

omega12596
04-10-2006, 09:59 PM
ROFL, Jaycinth, now that's an idea...

and I'll be looking for 'Once Upon A Time'.

HourglassMemory
04-10-2006, 10:38 PM
I have posted an excerpt of my story, but it was so long ago that you would stop reading it after the 4th paragraph because of the crappy narration.
I've changed a few things since then but not many. I'll change a whole lot of the first chapter though. Until now it looks dull and... hollow.
Here's a link to the page.
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24209

If you don't mind, go give it a look and tell me what you think, you may also leave your advices or even insulting criticisms...it'll make me think about the things that are wrongly writtern and so on.
the writing DOES get better after the first chapter. It has conversations and it isn't as boring as the first chapter.
But I am definatly going to change the first chapter.

Garpy
04-11-2006, 12:10 AM
I came up with my title (see signature) long after I'd finished the ms, sold it and was writing the author's notes.

Zolah
04-11-2006, 12:20 AM
Just call it "The Journey" if you can't think of anything better. Many books don't have their original title by the time they make it to publication anyway.

One of mine is on its third title at this point, and I still don't quite dare believe it's final...

Noob
04-11-2006, 03:24 AM
What tittel would make you pick up the book, and take a closer look at it?

Atleast thats how i think... That eather should the illustration or the tittel sell your book (or both)... Make it interesting enough that people want to pick it up and read on the back, even if they never ever heard of the book or the writer before.

Just my 2 cent..

KTC
04-11-2006, 03:40 AM
I start with the title and go from there. When I envision the title, the rest comes to me word by word. (Yes...everybody I know tells me this is wrong. It's just the way my addled brain operates.)

A.REX
04-11-2006, 06:05 AM
hey, what's wrong with the journey? I'm interested...

Sentia
04-11-2006, 06:11 AM
Maybe a bit more revealing info than just The Journey? http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Journey of _____
Journey from _____
Journey to _____

et cetera, depending on the theme of the novel.

HourglassMemory
04-11-2006, 06:36 AM
Maybe a bit more revealing info than just The Journey? http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Journey of _____
Journey from _____
Journey to _____

et cetera, depending on the theme of the novel.

Lol actually those 3 things "of/from/to" Helped me alot.
I made a title right after I read your reply. I'm going to put it on my "Possible titles" list. lol
I thoguht of "A Journey into History"
"A Journey towards History"

ViatMortege
04-12-2006, 01:22 AM
I can really relate to not being able to find a title, some of mine still don't. I wouldn't worry about it, eventually one will come.
P.S. I personally am repelled by any kind of profanity in the title, so, you have one vote opposite on that suggestion!
[No offense, Mr. Poopy Pants, but that's just gross.]

HourglassMemory
04-12-2006, 01:49 AM
You know nothing about the story because you don't want to. I've posted a link a few messages before this one. If you want know what the story is about...read it lol.
Ok, for the people who are lazy about going to read it(probably everyone):
Set in an environment that looks a lot like 19th century (clothes and stuff), but a lot of centuries are mixed up in this planet, including futuristic ones.
The story is about an inventor(looks 20-ish years old) who receives a letter telling him that he has been chosen to be part of a group of 6 people. Each one is the best in their fields of expertise and if that wasn't enough, they were put together thanks to an eccentric man with also eccentric ideas. This man wants to go around their planet, (it's not Earth, it's a palnet 4 times bigger than Earth, which will make the events in it even more extreme) collecting information about basically everything they find...animals, plants, weather geology and a lot more. But don't worry, I wont make it encyclopedic.
There are no profecies, nor villans, nor magical spells.

I hope this helps you people trying to help me. lol

scribbler1382
04-12-2006, 03:44 AM
What's the name of the planet? Are there other names for it? (i.e. Earth, Gaia, third rock from the sun, etc.)

HourglassMemory
04-12-2006, 06:51 AM
after I wrote my message I id think about using the name of the planet as a title...but I still haven't got any name for it. If I did it would probably be at the top of my list.

Deenabythesea
04-13-2006, 11:34 PM
I would not worry abou a title and you would be surprised how it just comes. With my first book "Poppies", I didn't know the title till the very last paragraph. When doing rewrites I then incoperated the missing pieces (a red flower) that really tightened the story and made it all make sense. With my 2nd book,"The Last Boy" it came to me after having surgery and heavily medicated... I just saw the cover and the title. It was perfect. My 3rd, again I dreamed it. The book was sitting on a table like a yard sell, with my other two books. I picked it up and could only see the title "Colors of Mavi" and knew when I woke up that not only did I have the title for it but my character's name changed!

I say just let it find you. It will

SC Harrison
04-14-2006, 06:48 PM
...animals, plants, weather geology and a lot more. But don't worry, I wont make it encyclopedic.

You may think this is a stupid idea, but, when I read this part of your post, something popped into my head that won't go away. I don't know the name of your planet, so I'll use ours in its place:

Encyclopedia:Terra

davids
04-14-2006, 07:22 PM
just a suggestion-stop twisting and turning in your bed-be still and listen to your still, small voice-it will tell you. In peace will come the answer-and if you can't do that, the answer is in the book-it is just sitting waiting for you to find it. Journey is a fine title. Just lay on your back and fold your hands on top of your tummy and let go, enjoy and keep doing great work-would like to know if this works for you-Dave

NeuroFizz
04-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Journey of Six

FlyByNight
04-14-2006, 08:40 PM
Just write it. Than read it. You may find a piece of dialog, or something that is a great title. Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" was originally called "The Strike. If I recall corectly, "Atlas Shrugged" isn't mentioned until well into the book.

HourglassMemory
04-15-2006, 03:22 AM
just a suggestion-stop twisting and turning in your bed-be still and listen to your still, small voice-it will tell you. In peace will come the answer-and if you can't do that, the answer is in the book-it is just sitting waiting for you to find it. Journey is a fine title. Just lay on your back and fold your hands on top of your tummy and let go, enjoy and keep doing great work-would like to know if this works for you-Dave

I'll awnser you when I find a title. Thanks for your help. It does help.
Just keep suggestions coming. All of you.