Author-Agent Go-Between?

hstgirl

Registered
Reaction score
I'm an editor who's been asked to not only edit a novel, but to do all the work involved in selling the manuscript to an agent or publisher. Is there an actual title for something like this? The closest I could find is an Acquisition Editor, but I don't work for a publisher, nor do I have any connections to agents or publishing houses.

The problem is that compensation for editorial services is cut and dry, but I have no idea what kind of compensation I should ask for for doing the rest. I'll be continually revising the novel; creating the cover letters, queries, synopses, etc; researching agents and publishers and other marketing information; formatting and submitting the manuscript, including printing hard copies to those requiring it; then acting as agent between the author and lit. agent or publisher through-out the entire process. This is a lot of work.

Are there people out there that do this as a service?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I'm an editor who's been asked to not only edit a novel, but to do all the work involved in selling the manuscript to an agent or publisher. Is there an actual title for something like this? The closest I could find is an Acquisition Editor, but I don't work for a publisher, nor do I have any connections to agents or publishing houses.

The problem is that compensation for editorial services is cut and dry, but I have no idea what kind of compensation I should ask for for doing the rest. I'll be continually revising the novel; creating the cover letters, queries, synopses, etc; researching agents and publishers and other marketing information; formatting and submitting the manuscript, including printing hard copies to those requiring it; then acting as agent between the author and lit. agent or publisher through-out the entire process. This is a lot of work.

Okay, so let me make sure I understand: you are an independent editor and a client of yours asked you to compose a query letter and synopsis for a project you've been editing?

IMHO, you should not offer these services at all. When the manuscript is ready for submission, that should be your client's job. Yes, it's time-consuming. But it's deceiving to an agent if the person who wrote the query and synopsis is not the same person who wrote the novel. (It's also frequently obvious from the contrast between the query and the first page.)

Yes, I have seen these services before. Usually I've just seen them called submission services, and again, I don't recommend getting into that.

You could always point your client to the query section of Share Your Work here. ;)

Last edited:

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Note: Hstgirl, please don't think I'm being sharp with you; that isn't my intent.

I'm an editor who's been asked to not only edit a novel, but to do all the work involved in selling the manuscript to an agent or publisher.

Manuscripts are not "sold" to agents, and agents are the people who sell manuscripts to publishers. You're being asked to act as either a submission service or an agent, or both.

Is there an actual title for something like this? The closest I could find is an Acquisition Editor, but I don't work for a publisher, nor do I have any connections to agents or publishing houses.

Why is your editing client asking you to do this? It's not part of a freelance editor's job, at all. As you said, Acquisitions Editors work for publishers, as in are employed and paid by them and acquire for that particular house.

The problem is that compensation for editorial services is cut and dry, but I have no idea what kind of compensation I should ask for for doing the rest.

Honestly? I wouldn't ask for compensation for the rest, because I wouldn't do it. As you said, you have no connections to sell to publishers, and an agent getting a communication from you on behalf of your editing client is going to eye you both askance and reject the query.

I'll be continually revising the novel; creating the cover letters, queries, synopses, etc; researching agents and publishers and other marketing information; formatting and submitting the manuscript, including printing hard copies to those requiring it;

None of that is the job of an editor. It's the job of a writer and/or an agent. Revising the novel is NOT your job, it's the writer's job. So is creating cover letters/queries (I'm not sure where in the world you are or will be submitting, or what sort of book it is, but those aren't generally used together).

Do you know what to look for in an agent, how to research one? Or publishers? What sort of "marketing information" is this writer expecting you to research (again, if it's NF that might make more sense, but most fiction mss don't need market research from the writer). Formatting and submitting is the writer's job. Many agents have said that queries coming from people not the writer of the mss are automatic rejects.

then acting as agent between the author and lit. agent or publisher through-out the entire process.

There is no go-between for an agent and a writer. The agent is the go-between--to some degree--between the writer and the publisher. The agent-writer relationship is a partnership which involves trust; go-betweens there are really, really nonstandard and I don't know of any agents who would agree to represent a writer who feels the need for a buffer between them (which doesn't mean there aren't any, but I certainly don't know of any).

How familiar are you with the agent/client relationship and how it works, or the publishing process? What qualifies you to help shepherd a writer through the publishing process? (Again, this is totally not meant to sound as a dig at YOU, it's a comment about why the writer would ask you to do this.)

This is a lot of work.

People who submit mss to publishers are literary agents. It's not an entry-level job. It requires contacts and a lot of specialized knowledge.

I'm aware of a few people who claim to match up agents and writers, and who charge exorbitant fees for it. I'm not aware of verifiable credentials on any of them or verifiable "matches" made.

Your client needs to do the work him- or herself. What happens when his/her acquiring editor sends the editorial letter? Are you expected to then rewrite the book by yourself? Without credit? While the writer who can't write gets the money etc.?

This is a terrible idea, which I think you know. I appreciate that you're trying to help your client, but being a writer isn't something you pay someone else to do for you. I'd tell your client quite frankly that you're an editor, not an agent or writer, and your job ends with your editorial suggestions. It's up to them now.

If they're just asking you to research agents and publishers for them, direct them here. If they really want YOU to do the research because they're just that lazy and rich, I'd look up how much a research assistant gets paid and charge them accordingly.

But seriously, don't submit on their behalf, and if they expect you to be a go-between between themselves and their agent or editor, tell them honestly that that's not how it works.

Best of luck to you! Again, I sincerely hope I haven't seemed harsh to you personally and haven't upset you. I'm just trying to explain as clearly as I can why this is a really bad idea for everyone involved.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
The closest thing I can think of as an equivalent is an anthology editor, who is the person that the publisher uses as the go-between between the editing department and the individual authors. But that's not the case here. Listen to Stacia. Step away from that role. It'll be no end of problems, with little reward.

Now, I did take on the task as "business manager" (my own made-up term) when I first met my co-author. I wasn't a writer then, but she was. But she didn't like to spend her time writing queries and sending them to place after place, and really hated rejections. So I stepped in to fill that role. I would write the queries and send them, or send short stories to multiple venues. I would receive the mail, file the rejections, forward the acceptances and such. Sort of an author assistant role.

I think that's what your author is wanting---an assistant to do the drudge work of getting a manuscript accepted. Don't do it. Really. You could quickly become a scapegoat for the author's failure to get published.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an editor who's been asked to not only edit a novel, but to do all the work involved in selling the manuscript to an agent or publisher. Is there an actual title for something like this?
Co-Author.

Jeff

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This actually sounds like a packager to me, but not, because you're not cutting out the middle and don't have the knowledge or connections a packager does and aren't doing the work a packager does. That's the closest I've got/

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised there aren't more "agent finder" services around. Trust me! I would love to turn my books over to someone and say "here, you get it sorted out and let me write." However, I wouldn't be surprised if most of them are profiteers, scammers, or at best well-meaning folks who are taking on a huge job, perhaps one larger than they can handle.

But read the other posts carefully. AW has people much more experienced than I in publishing and will steer you right.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
There are all sorts of "agent-finder" services out there, Chris, but none are worth the money. Many good agents have said that if anyone other than the author writes a query or sends in a submission, that book will get an automatic rejection, so why pay for a service which is guaranteed to fail?

The OP has already been given excellent advice, which saves me having to write a long reply. I'll just echo everyone's advice to refuse this particular assignment.

Only Stronger

That which does not kill us. . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.frankpratt.net
There are all sorts of "agent-finder" services out there, Chris, but none are worth the money. Many good agents have said that if anyone other than the author writes a query or sends in a submission, that book will get an automatic rejection, so why pay for a service which is guaranteed to fail?

The OP has already been given excellent advice, which saves me having to write a long reply. I'll just echo everyone's advice to refuse this particular assignment.

This makes sense. I think agents value the ability to work 1:1 with their authors. If the agent acts as a liaison between the author and the publisher, why would the agent want to work with yet another "go-between" guy?

If the author does not have the time to solicit an agent, he/she does not have time to become a published author.