curly question

WriterJane

Registered
Reaction score
Why do some publishers ban "curly" quotation marks from electronically submitted ms? I'm not upset about this; I can do a search and replace or just change font. I am puzzled. The puzzlement is taking up valuable brain space. Some publishers don't mind and others do, very much. Is this one of those punctuation marks that can also be a command character? I found out the hard way that if you're sending a ms as an attachment, it had better not have an apostrophe in the title.

If I've missed other discussions of this issue on the large and varied Absolute Write site, please forgive me. I did look. And of course, fell free to move this if it should be posted in some other area.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Because curly quotes don't translate to all devices and programs, so it's easier to just not use them.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Because curly quotes don't translate to all devices and programs, so it's easier to just not use them.
But if you load a document using smart quotes into a program that doesn't support them, you'll just automatically see straight quotes.

My theory is that agents and editors stick funny things like that into their submission requirements just to test if you've actually read them. :tongue

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But if you load a document using smart quotes into a program that doesn't support them, you'll just automatically see straight quotes.

Never noticed that, but I have noticed all the little squares where quotes should be all too often. Same with letters with accents--it's made some ebooks almost impossible to read.

Deleted member 42

The ASCII character set of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and basic punctuation (English style period, question mark, comma, exclamation mark, and "straight" quotation and apostrophe marks) was created as a standard and all use the came codes for each characters.

"High" ASCII includes non-standard characters, accent marks, and things like em-dashes, and "curly" quotation/apostrophe marks. Those were coded differently in not only different operating systems (say, Windows and Mac) but may be encoded differently in different fonts.

So you might send a ms. with a lovely “ and ” but your agent reading on a Linux computer or a Mac or maybe even on Windows gets a ø and ¥ instead of your lovely quotation marks, or the empty box known as the "empty character" because that particular code in that particular font isn't associated with any character.

Also, it's just better for a typesetter to deal with those, because when Word Processors insert curly quotes or apostrophes automatically, they often get them wrong.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com

That depends a lot on the application, the OS and the font.

What Medi said. I've seen plenty of applications that don't translate curly quotes into straight ones but into oddball characters instead.

Personally, I hate how straight quotes look, so I use curly quotes when I'm writing, then change them to straight quotes when submitting. It's a 30-second process to switch them back and forth, and everyone is happy.

Last edited:

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Something else to note - Word, for example, has an awful lot going on under the surface when it comes to formatting. I know that certain programmes I use in word I have to completely strip all the hidden formatting because otherwise I just get lots of missing character boxes - or my personal favourite is when it's really incompatible and you get a page of random text and numbers and symbols between every line or so of your text.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Smart quotes can screw things up royally, and do not always translate into straight quotes. They can mess up a manuscript, and it can take hours to fix the damage.

If Word is not set properly, it can load all sorts of hidden junk into a manuscript.

WriterJane

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all. On my system the curly quotes seem to be the default for my beloved Times New Roman, so I was puzzled. Fortunately it isn't hard to change.