Editor Recommendation

Mark2000

Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting to realize that getting a professional editor to go over my ms is probably for the best. Now that I've resigned myself to forking over around $500 (at an expected 1.5¢ per word) I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for specific editors in that price range that would work well with what I'm doing?

My book is a light fantasy novella aimed at kids 5-11. It involves a strong female lead who is a Robin Hood type character by night.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea what their fees are, but editors walk among us acting so much like writers we don't even see they're different!

Start at this board: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59

As you scroll down the subject lines, you'll see stickies (read 'em) and other people requesting the same information.

We do have members who do editing for hire, among them Chase and parametric. Surely there are others as well; those are the two whose paths I cross most often. Also, the wife of AW's "Uncle Jim" is an editor: http://www.sff.net/people/doylemacdonald/editorial.html

Maryn, hoping you find one who's just right

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting to realize that getting a professional editor to go over my ms is probably for the best. Now that I've resigned myself to forking over around $500 (at an expected 1.5¢ per word) I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for specific editors in that price range that would work well with what I'm doing?

My book is a light fantasy novella aimed at kids 5-11. It involves a strong female lead who is a Robin Hood type character by night.

Hi Mark. Welcome to AW.

Before you pay an editor, I wonder if you have thought about what you plan to do with the novella after it is edited? I ask that because a few things make me wonder if you really should spend that money on this project.

Now, if you are planning to self-publish, then it's probably a good idea and carry on.

But, if you had plans to query agents or submit to publishers, I would slow down before finding a freelance editor because a few things might make the project, even if edited well, a hard sell for an agent or a publisher.

First, an age range of kids 5-11 is a red flag. Few books are published for kids "5-11" -- I'd expect a more targeted market, even if you think kids just outside that range might also like it. For example, is it an early chapter book for kids 7-8? A middle grade for kids 8-10? Or an upper middle grade for kids 9-11? etc. These age ranges and what I'm calling them are not hard and fast categories, but what I am trying to illustrate is that there is a real world of difference between books marketed for 5 year olds and those marketed for 11 year olds. And when people are starting out, they tend to think kids of all ages will like it! And that might be true, but you should still know what the sweet spot, the 2-3 year target range is. And then look at the books being marketed to that age range.

Second, you call it a novella. I'm not sure what you mean by that. Wordcounts for chapter books and middle grade novels are much shorter than those for adults. So, what is the word count? And have you looked at books similar to yours to see what the expected word counts are, and who is publishing them, and for what target age?

I'm tossing out these questions so that you can decide whether this project is marketable, and as what, before you pay to have it edited.

Good luck!

~suki

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Suki has said it all, except get your post count up by doing some reading and commenting in the children's and childrens' share your work sections so you can post a chapter. Some of the folk who visit these sections may even edit on the side. You'll also get a better sense of the industry.

Besides AW, check out the SCBWI and Harold Underdown's websites. There are no better resources for children's writers.