PDA

View Full Version : Authors for short children's stories wanted, up to $0.25 per word

Xiaoduo Media
05-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Xiaoduo Median, a publisher based in both New York and Beijing is looking for children’s authors. We currently publish three monthly magazines and assortment of book series for age 6 to 14. The literary magazine “Red Squirrel” publishes high quality licensed work from world famous authors and original stories, poems, articles from all over the world; the science magazine “ Ask You Ask Me” publishes feature articles, science fiction, and scientific activities.

Our mission is to make available world-class, quality content to children in China to foster a love of learning, develop critical thinking skills and mold global citizens.

We welcome writers, artists, illustrators and the people who are interested in writing for children to submit your articles or works.

If your work meets our requirements, we will be happy to publish it along with your brief profile and photos. Please note that not all submissions will be published; however, we urge you to submit your work again in the future.

For the magazine "Red Squirrel":

Categories

Fiction: realistic contemporary fiction, historical fiction, humor, mysteries, fantasy, science fiction, folk tales, fairy tales, legends, myths

Nonfiction: biography, memoir, history, science, technology, natural history, social science, archeology, architecture, geography, foreign culture, travel, adventure, sports, music, dance, theatre

Length

Stories: 200 to 2,000 words

Feature Articles: 200 to 1,500 words

An exact word count should be noted on each manuscript submitted. Word count includes every word, but does not include the title of the manuscript or the author's name.

Rates

Stories and articles: up to 25 per word

We purchase all rights to material.

For the magazine "Ask You Ask Me"

We are interested in articles rich in scientific accuracy and lively approaches to the subject at hand. The inclusion of primary research (interviews with scientists focusing on current research) are of primary interest to the magazine.

Feature Articles:

Up to 1000 words

Includes: in-depth nonfiction articles. (An interactive approach is a definite plus!) Q & A interviews, plays, and biographies are of interest as well

Fiction:

up to 1,000 words

Includes: science-related stories, poems, science fiction, retold legends, etc., relating to the theme.

Activities:

up to 750 words.

Includes: critical thinking activities, experiments, models, science fair projects, astrophotography projects, and any other science projects that can either be done by children alone, with adult supervision, or in a classroom setting. Query should be accompanied by sketches and description of how activity relates to theme.

Rates

Stories and articles: up to 25 per word

We purchase all rights to material.

[B]Queries and questions should be directed to:
Editor
Conny

Chris P
05-04-2013, 03:34 PM
I can't find anything on Google about Xiaoduo Media, Red Squirrel Magazine, or Ask You Ask Me Magazine.

And 25 cents PER WORD? 2.5 is more realistic.

Conny: Would you care to elaborate on your publisher? How long have you been around? Where can we access your content so we can see what you like to publish?

Xiaoduo Media
05-04-2013, 03:58 PM
I can't find anything on Google about Xiaoduo Media, Red Squirrel Magazine, or Ask You Ask Me Magazine.

Conny: Would you care to elaborate on your publisher? How long have you been around? Where can we access your content so we can see what you like to publish?

Thank you for reply, Chris. The books published by Xiaoduo Media are sold in China, that's probably why you can't find its English name in Google. Just try this:小多传媒,or:小多童书。It's listed now in the first 33 best seller publishers at Dangdang internet book store (probably the biggest internet book store in China, maybe as big as amazon, I'm not very sure).

Also you can see this link, though it's in Chinese, but google translator will help you:-)

The rate is high, I know:-), but our requirment is also high. For we just want the coolest stories and the best authors. But don't be hesitate to try. There must be lot's of authors with the best ideas here, they are just waiting to be found.

Xiaoduo Media
05-04-2013, 04:33 PM

I forgot to answer you one question: Xiaoduo Media is just about 3 years old. In the past, we have been buying and translating those already published pieces on the US and european market into Chinese. But now we want to have authors who write for us and build our own style. That's this ad for.

Also, the stories could be in English and German, for we also have editor who understand German.

regdog
05-04-2013, 05:05 PM
If any member wants to contact the OP regarding this they can send a PM

Reopened

Xiaoduo Media
05-17-2013, 02:45 PM
We'v put our submission guidelines on our homepage.

http://www.xiaoduo.com.cn/news/index.php?action-viewnews-itemid-18882-php-1

The rate is up to 0.25 USD per word.

We are looking forward to reading your works.

Thank you!
Xiaoduo Media

WriterTrek
05-20-2013, 11:58 PM
Huh, the following bit really tempts me to write an article about buckyballs/fullerenes aimed at kids:
We are interested in articles rich in scientific accuracy and lively approaches to the subject at hand. The inclusion of primary research (interviews with scientists focusing on current research) are of primary interest to the magazine.
Is there a way to search the site to see which kinds of articles have already been done? I'd hate to write something up and find out there's been a similar article published, etc.

Debbie V
05-21-2013, 12:10 AM
Hi Writer Check.

The site is primarily in Mandarin. You might consider a query letter before you write. You could also look at whether an English language market would be interested. Cobblestone publishing has mags that address scientific topics for kids. Perhaps you could sell the story in both markets if rights purchased doesn't conflict.

Marta
05-23-2013, 05:19 AM

This is what markets that publish very professional work can offer. Corporate clients can offer even more than that.

redflame
05-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Any acceptances?

Reece10
05-28-2013, 07:28 PM
Nope! :Shrug:

redflame
05-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Reece10,

Thank you for replying!

So far, I've had one acceptance from them!

Redflame

Aggy B.
05-31-2013, 01:57 AM
I think another AW member was picked up to write multiple stories/year for Red Squirrel.

Evasan
06-01-2013, 09:23 PM
A short story of mine is selected.

Thanks

redflame
06-02-2013, 03:43 AM
Evasan, congrats! :)

bladestalker
06-03-2013, 03:19 PM
congrats

Vultural
06-29-2013, 01:36 AM
For both Red Squirrel and Ask You Ask Me you acquire "all rights," rather than one-time.
Am I reading that correctly?

williemeikle
07-07-2013, 07:18 PM
I've had an acceptance here.

They prefer more positive stories over darker themed ones.

ThomasT
07-08-2013, 09:03 PM
How long did it take, until you got the message from Xiaoduo about your stories?

williemeikle
07-08-2013, 09:54 PM
How long did it take, until you got the message from Xiaoduo about your stories?

5 days.

redflame
07-09-2013, 01:22 AM
Willie, well done! ;)

ThomasT
07-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Thank you for your answer Willie and congratulations. My stories didn't make it. The answer was I have to proove my writing skills. But not more.

williemeikle
07-10-2013, 06:35 PM
And just sold them another one. I think they like me :-)

ajfrench
07-11-2013, 03:22 AM
Interesting... and congrats, Willie, and to those others who've been accepted!

williemeikle
07-16-2013, 02:15 AM
Just sold them a third story. It's Miller time.

fihr
07-16-2013, 03:54 AM
Congrats Willie. They love you!

Evasan
07-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Congratulations..Meikle. I am stuck with one.

Thanks

JulianneQJohnson
07-18-2013, 12:02 AM
Queried a story July 12th
Accepted July 17th
Very fast turn around. Offered .12 a word for full rights, which I happily accepted.
Story was fiction, contemporary fantasy, a little dark and thriller-y, but with triumphant ending.

escritora
07-18-2013, 01:17 AM
for full rights, which I happily accepted.

What does full rights mean? For print and e-book? Can print again without further compensation?

alexshvartsman
07-18-2013, 02:28 AM
What does full rights mean? For print and e-book? Can print again without further compensation?

No -- full rights mean they OWN your story. You can't publish it anywhere else... Ever. So please be very careful and understand what you're selling to this market if you choose to submit here.

Not a criticism of what they're doing -- they ARE paying much higher rates than most markets -- just an important point to be aware of.

JulianneQJohnson
07-18-2013, 07:32 AM
Alex is correct, full rights mean they own all rights to that story forever. I wouldn't sell a novel that way, or even a favorite story. I'm not sure why they want all rights, it's very unusual, especially since they are publishing in Chinese in China. Why not all rights in China? But they pay very well, so for a short story I don't mind never using again, no problem.

Brynn
08-03-2013, 04:03 PM
After reading this thread and before submitting, I queried about the necessity of selling all rights and if the contract terms could be amended to Chinese only. In less than a day I received a courteous reply including this:

"Generally we buy all rights. The reason is the very low retail price of books and magazines in China. We have to use the articles in different ways to cover the cost. We do purchase Chinese translation rights and all rights in China, but the price is lower (up to 10 cents per word). So the decision will be made by you."

So it sounds as if the high payday is reserved for those selling all rights, but if you wish to retain reprint rights, rights in English, etc. you don't have to avoid this market entirely.

Debbie V
08-06-2013, 08:03 PM
One of the top paying US markets, Highlights, also buys all rights. The pay rate varies, so it's hard to compare the two.

williemeikle
08-06-2013, 08:14 PM
For anyone wondering - they pay on publication, and require an invoice to be sent after acceptance.

Lovely Decadence
08-09-2013, 10:45 AM
What types of stories did you send their way Willie? I'm thinking I might want to dust off and refresh some old short stories to send their way and seeing as you're on a roll I thought you'd be the best to ask on what their assumed preference is.

williemeikle
08-12-2013, 03:59 AM
The three I've sold to them have all been upbeat science fiction stories for early teens - fun stories with a bit of science explained in them as a bonus.

They seem to prefer that to anything downbeat.

JulianneQJohnson
08-13-2013, 08:59 AM
Thanks Willie. I just signed my first contract with Xiaoduo, and sent them my first ever invoice, so it was the same with my story too.

Lovely- The story I had accepted was a contemporary fantasy, a little dark, a little magic, and the heroine kills the bad guy at the end. Not really upbeat, but a happy ending at least.

I sent in a straight up fantasy piece that was not accepted, and I just sent them a straight up contemporary adventure, which I have not heard back on. The site says that they will consider any genre as long as it's well written. And they have a need for science articles and fiction as well.

Silent Rob
08-13-2013, 02:24 PM
I sent them a contemporary fantasy adventure, with a bit of an historical twist to it. That was a few weeks ago, and I haven't heard back, so I assume it's either summer holiday time or they've just been getting more submissions as word spreads, driving up their response times.

Good luck to all with submissions out there.

AZWriter
08-14-2013, 07:46 AM
Silent Rob - I had the same issue two weeks ago, when I was hearing it was only taking 5 days. So I status queried and heard back the next day.

Channy
08-14-2013, 08:24 AM
This is something I'm interested in looking at but can someone give me a hand? The link the OP provided doesn't work for me and just loads endlessly... I Google Translated my way there but not sure... where exactly to go.

We'v put our submission guidelines on our homepage.

JulianneQJohnson
08-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Channy- You can get there by googling Xiaoduo Media.

Debbie V
08-14-2013, 09:59 PM
Channy, if you are still having trouble, try sending a PM through AW with your questions or posting them here. I'm sure they'll be glad to respond.

Lovely Decadence
08-15-2013, 12:25 AM
thanks for the point of reference willie and jullianne, I think I'll write a fresh story and see how it goes.

williemeikle
08-15-2013, 12:45 AM
I sent them a contemporary fantasy adventure, with a bit of an historical twist to it. That was a few weeks ago, and I haven't heard back, so I assume it's either summer holiday time or they've just been getting more submissions as word spreads, driving up their response times.

Good luck to all with submissions out there.

Conny, who deals with the English language subs, has been on holiday the last ten days - she'll be back over the coming weekend.

JulianneQJohnson
08-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Conny, who deals with the English language subs, has been on holiday the last ten days - she'll be back over the coming weekend.

Thanks for the head's up. I sent a story a little while ago and was concerned I hadn't heard anything yet.

bladestalker
09-17-2013, 11:21 PM
I just had a story/article accepted (pending contract) very happy with the experience.

Xiaoduo Media
01-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Happy new year to everyone!

Many thanks to this forum! We got lots of great submissions last year and had the opportunities to work with many great writers!

For our magazines we need good stories and writers continuously. You are always welcome to send in your stories!

Look forward to working with you!

redflame
01-23-2014, 05:22 PM
Any recent acceptances?

PS: I've also had a great experience with this new company!

bladestalker
01-24-2014, 01:23 AM
I had a second story accepted for Ask Me Ask You. Pretty much sure that Conny hated it but four rewrites later it was accepted. The fact she saw something in the first draft and was willing to stick it out through multiple (and very different) rewrites was very encouraging. Again, an excellent market to pursue.

triceretops
01-24-2014, 02:14 AM
I'm currently out-lining for the non-fic science articles. I'm in the space and universe category and very happy about that. I've contributed some ideas and we're coming up with the most pertinent topics and selections.

Conny is very easy to work with, swift with responses and attentive to new ideas or additional slants on the material. I hope to have an on-going relationship with this outfit. They are very professional and care a great deal about presentation, subject matter and quality.

tri (Chris)

mercs
01-25-2014, 05:21 PM
Are you guys still accepting? I spotted the links have been removed. Shame as that's an excellent rate of pay!

bladestalker
01-29-2014, 12:34 PM
Just received a paypal payment for my first article to 'Ask Me Ask You'.

Prompt payment, excellent editorial staff, challenging work. very nice.

williemeikle
01-29-2014, 03:06 PM
I got paid today too, for the three short stories I've sold to them so far. All gone smoothly and professionally.

Debbie V
02-04-2014, 12:17 AM
Are you guys still accepting? I spotted the links have been removed. Shame as that's an excellent rate of pay!

They are still accepting. The link is in a post lower in the thread. Read down for it.

M.N Thorne
02-04-2014, 07:49 AM
Yes, I am writing a story for them now and I can not wait to see what they think.

triceretops
02-04-2014, 08:17 AM
And I'm doing a science article...

Ernesto Pavan
02-24-2014, 05:58 PM
Stories and articles: up to 25 per word.

I'm a bit confused: what does "up to" 25 mean? Which criteria are used to determine the amount of the payment? If I receive an offer that I deem too low, can I refuse it or, since I sent the story/article already, I can only accept it?

Thanks for the attention.

williemeikle
02-24-2014, 06:31 PM
I'm a bit confused: what does "up to" 25 mean? Which criteria are used to determine the amount of the payment? If I receive an offer that I deem too low, can I refuse it or, since I sent the story/article already, I can only accept it?

Thanks for the attention.

If you get accepted you'll get a contract stating the rate. The publisher determines the rate of payment depending on where they think they can use the story.

You don't have to sign the contract if you don't like the offer.

FYI I've sold 4 to them, none at less than 15c/word.

milkweed
02-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Am curious as to your average article lenghts? I could write some stories that are science based.

Ernesto Pavan
02-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Since we're at it, I noticed that among the topics listed for Red Squirrel are history and biography. Am I right to assume that they aren't limited to Chinese characters and events?

triceretops
02-25-2014, 03:18 AM
I write science for them. I'm at 25 cents because, I guess, of the complexity and research involved. Their absolute max is 1,500 words for the science stuff, but I would aim for their general 1,000 word limit (as they state) as to not cause them any financial grief due to unnecessary over-run. I over-ran about 1,000 words and had to cut.

The science articles have kind of a story format where the astronomer, biologist, etc, take the stage as a voice or a bio--kind of hard to explain. It took me around four revisions to get the formula down. For instance, something about general relativity would naturally feature Einstein, and you would give a brief intro about his early life, transition to topics that interested him, the trials he went through to prove his theories, his accomplishments and accolades, and then the world's view of his contribution.

Conny explains, quite justifiably, that science is really about the people who conduct it, so it's important to have that human touch or tone to the article. Dry explanations, statistics, and boring laundry lists are not favored over the more human/discovery aspects.

tri

Ernesto Pavan
02-25-2014, 08:34 PM
Is it just me, or the website takes forever to load? I clicked on the submission guidelines link and the page has been loading for about 10 minutes now.

williemeikle
02-25-2014, 09:08 PM
Is it just me, or the website takes forever to load? I clicked on the submission guidelines link and the page has been loading for about 10 minutes now.

Just you I think - it's working fine for me. You using this one?

triceretops
02-26-2014, 01:26 AM
Seems to be loading fine for me.

tri

Ernesto Pavan
02-26-2014, 07:21 PM
Just you I think - it's working fine for me. You using this one?

I am. It eventually loads, but takes lots of time to do so. Not really an issue, though.

Patrick.S
03-01-2014, 10:28 PM
Anyone have any info on the response time for Xaioduo? I subbed Red Squirrel about three weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet. Do they normally send a confirmation email when you send something? I know three weeks isn't that long, but I'm just not sure that they received my submission.

bladestalker
03-01-2014, 10:42 PM
they can be slow to respond. however they have let me know they are just getting organized with some big project or other and patience is appreciated.

Patrick.S
03-01-2014, 10:58 PM
Thanks! That's all I really wanted to know, that my experience wasn't outside the norm.

AZWriter
03-10-2014, 01:06 AM
Their response time used to be very quick, but now a bit more normal for the magazine world. I love working with them :)

triceretops
03-10-2014, 01:11 AM
Yes, starting to lag just a little bit now. Probably from all of the projects they have going plus the increased number of writers. I also like working with them--they're patient with me as far as style and formatting and getting things just right.

tri

bladestalker
03-10-2014, 09:27 AM
I agree, the lag is getting a bit longer, but they still respond, which is nice. They are very patient with molding a piece they see potential in. I rewrote my second article/story 3 times before they were happy with it. I don't think I was ever happy with it. The first story... well that was pure gold. :)

triceretops
03-11-2014, 12:06 AM
I agree, the lag is getting a bit longer, but they still respond, which is nice. They are very patient with molding a piece they see potential in. I rewrote my second article/story 3 times before they were happy with it. I don't think I was ever happy with it. The first story... well that was pure gold. :)

Yep, I went over my science article four times with them until it was just right. I'm waiting for a hard-copy contract in the mail because I can't do the virtual signature thing or get the darn PDF formatted into Word.

bladestalker
03-11-2014, 06:10 AM
They are rigorous to be sure, they are also prompt payers.. Personally my writing has become stronger with the work I've done with them.

triceretops
03-11-2014, 01:47 PM
The thing is though, my contract (e-mail) stated that payment was upon publication. Now you guys must be getting published immediately or my contract is different from yours in that I'm not writing the fictional stories, but rather the science articles that have to be heavily researched. Have any of you received a comp copy of your story/stories in an edition yet? I'd like to know that. Conceivably, I could wait for six months down the road or get payment upon publication (this is according to my contract).

bladestalker
03-12-2014, 03:33 AM
I haven't received a comp copy yet, though Conny said she will email me a PDF of it. I have been paid for my first story though (and quite handsomely I must say). So I have no doubt a comp copy will be on the way.

FYI it was two science article I wrote for two different issues. (one on finding black holes and another on Aflatoxins).

triceretops
03-12-2014, 05:20 AM
I haven't received a comp copy yet, though Conny said she will email me a PDF of it. I have been paid for my first story though (and quite handsomely I must say). So I have no doubt a comp copy will be on the way.

FYI it was two science article I wrote for two different issues. (one on finding black holes and another on Aflatoxins).

Ah, good deal for you then. Yeah, I'm Finding a New Earth and Contacting an Alien Civilization, so we're def in the same magazine, although I don't know if its the same issue or not. My third Article is about Galactic Civilizations and such. More work to do.

tri

ETA: I didn't know Conny was a gal. Ha! Thought I was dealing with a guy. She's so very polite and courteous, nevertheless.

tri

bladestalker
03-12-2014, 06:12 AM
yah know, I'm not sure if Cony is a gal or a guy. I think my European cultural bias night be playing into my perceptions...

I like the topics you drew. sound like fun. Are they scientific articles or science written as fiction? Mine were the latter which I tell you @ 1-2,000 words is a trial worthy of Heracles.

Hanson
03-12-2014, 06:33 AM
They are rigorous to be sure, they are also prompt payers.. Personally my writing has become stronger with the work I've done with them.
How prompt is 'prompt'?

I assume there are differences, but a sense of the time frame would be nice

bladestalker
03-12-2014, 06:44 AM
If I recall correctly. I invoiced them in sept and was paid in November. I think that coincided with the publication date.

Hanson
03-12-2014, 06:48 AM
If I recall correctly. I invoiced them in sept and was paid in November. I think that coincided with the publication date.

Ah, that might explain it.

Thanks Bladestalker

bladestalker
03-12-2014, 07:43 AM
glad to help.

triceretops
03-12-2014, 08:51 AM
yah know, I'm not sure if Cony is a gal or a guy. I think my European cultural bias night be playing into my perceptions...

I like the topics you drew. sound like fun. Are they scientific articles or science written as fiction? Mine were the latter which I tell you @ 1-2,000 words is a trial worthy of Heracles.

Not fiction, but told in a story type format that has scientists as the lead characters, where it applies of course. The idea is not to make it stuffy, inaccessible or laundry lists. They like them crafted as people stories--the ones who make the discoveries, their motivations, trials and tribulations. My last one included an interview with a very famous astronomer, which I was damn lucky to get. Some topics lend themselves better to bio-like science articles, like explaining how Carl Sagan and Frank Drake designed and produced the golden record and plaques for Voyager and Pioneer 10.

tri

bladestalker
03-12-2014, 06:50 PM
very nice.

triceretops
04-01-2014, 06:19 AM
I've got one feature and two standard articles in the can and accepted, and I'm working on the fourth. Feature articles have a famous interview in the text, and that tops out at (xxxxxxx) for me, at least. I overrun too darn much so I told them to put a limit on my ceiling price and we'll cut the chaff out to size it properly. I suggested a payment of (xxxxxxxxx) flat for the non-celebrity science articles/stories up to my limit of 1,500 words.

I have no intention of taking advantage of this publication. I hope others will abide courteously as well. I say this, because I'm privy to some overruns that might have caused them some stress and frustration, including my own. I told Conny any over-runs of mine can be cut or used without the extra pay. That is fair and right. I'd take less in a heartbeat.

I have, and so has Willie, been through the very old and new independent press and giant slick magazines. I knew and know the per-word gospel at almost all of them, and none of them, save Playboy and some dozen others (out of thousands) came close to what I'm pulling here. I have no clue how they can sustain publication with these hefty pay rates. Well, I know a little bit about how their managing it. but it still seems like a miracle and I would feel awful if this opportunity hit the wall or played out.

BTW, I'm checking into the SFWA to see if Red Squirrel qualifies as a legit market for induction. I'm pretty sure they do, so the ball can probably get rolling for some of you who have scribed SF and Fantasy prose. Three of their stories would easily open the gates for membership. And it would be an honor for Xiaoduo to get aboard that org as a pro qualifier.

So, you see, there's lots of good things happening here. These publishing creds are going to bolster you up and open some other doors. It's pure genre platform--non-fic or fic. And by dingies, if you don't how to write for kids, you'll be lovingly horse-whipped into shape and come out a much, much better author for the experience. I should be paying them.

I'm so frickin dense, I don't even know how to do a virtual signature, nor have I mastered the Invoice template or figured out how to convert the contract into an edit-ready document and send it back. Computer programs and I are not good bedfellows.

And you know what? They accommodated me on every facet of my blunders and let me do things completely contrary to their MO. Now that's endearment. I am the most insufferable pain the keester they've ever had. And, yet, I've never heard one cross word about it or a moment's hesitation with me.

I'm doing a huge blog spread on Xiaoduo and Conny (Interview) with a mission statement/guideline spread. I've plenty of tips for anybody looking seriously at hooking up with this publisher, and I mean, long term.

So, I'll announce very shortly. And then command thee all who are their recipients, to blast the blog link all over space and time! Let's give them some ink and favor for a job, so far, well damn done.

Tri:Soapbox::snoopy::Sun:

Hanson
04-01-2014, 06:46 AM
https://www.docusign.com/

re, digital signature, the above company are very easy to use, and free, up to so many docs.

triceretops
04-01-2014, 07:11 AM
https://www.docusign.com/

re, digital signature, the above company are very easy to use, and free, up to so many docs.

Oh, thanks. My problem--I never asked for help. I appreciate your kind move.

tri

Abderian
04-01-2014, 07:50 AM
Triceratops, you might want to run it past Conny before advertising the potential writing opportunities with this publication as I should think she/he is already getting swamped with inquiries just from this thread alone. I was told I was accepted onto their list of writers quite a while ago and haven't heard anything since. I sent a polite follow up email last week but haven't yet received a reply.

triceretops
04-01-2014, 11:48 AM
That was one of the first things I did. she assured me, several times that the workload is there and to not worry about being misplaced. I also sent the blog for editing/changing anything.

I think what I might do is back-pedal and remove some $$$ amounts I posted. I'm sure everyone can do their math with the per-word thing, but I don't want to swap any inquires about high or low rates.

I do know that they are gathering stories for a future mag issue, but I'm guessing right now they are doing final editing, translation and formatting. Now, I'm not quite certain but they may be very old school when their material arrives in China--they might do ye ole type-set and binding. Yet, they do have an office here in NYC but that would be more expensive, I'm sure.

fixing now.

ETA: Had no idea that Conny was a lady. It didn't matter actually.

triceretops
04-02-2014, 03:33 AM
Hang tight. Conny will drop by and let you know what's on the up with production and wait times.

There are new, adjusted guidelines for Red Squirrel and Ask You Ask Me. They'll be posted. If you want them now and can't wait, PM me.

Tri

Hanson
04-02-2014, 04:09 AM
Thanks T.

bladestalker
04-02-2014, 04:26 AM
Got an email from Conny yesterday. I'm sure there will be an update here soon.

triceretops
04-02-2014, 10:56 AM
Hi, guys,

Here is the approved Blog on Guerrilla Warfare For Writers: A Bright Light in China--Xiaoduo Media. Updates and corrections were added.

And on SECOND thought, do NOT blast this link all over the universe. This is primarily for us. The AW writers are the premiere select bunch for this publication.

Hope it helps a little. Excuse the small print--it didn't want to format from my writing program.

Blog: http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/

tri:)

Hanson
04-02-2014, 11:19 PM
bit of a visual of their stuff.

http://xiaoduobook.taobao.com/category-154479927.htm?spm=2013.1.w4654123-1601330889.3.l1H1oG&search=y&catName=2010-12%C4%EA%B6%F9%CD%AF%D4%D3%D6%BE#bd

triceretops
04-03-2014, 09:41 PM
Pretty cool. Lots of color. Looks like there's lots of boxed sets. Some have English sub-titles. Looks like I belong in the one titled Does ET Exist?

tri

bladestalker
04-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Pretty cool. Looks like I belong in the one titled Does ET Exist?

tri

heh...

Hanson
05-19-2014, 10:15 PM
Anyone any recent correspondence from Conny?

Koschei
05-19-2014, 10:30 PM
How recent are you looking for? I spoke to Conny a couple weeks ago about an article but am currently waiting to hear back about another one.

Hanson
05-19-2014, 10:37 PM
within the last week or two i suppose. two weeks aint bad. thanks.

Xiaoduo Media
05-20-2014, 03:45 AM
Hi, does anyone know Joel? I tried to reply his email for 5 times, all came back.:cry:

To all authors who is still waiting for a feedback for their submissions for Red Squirrel:

I'm terrible sorry for the delay! Things are running crazy since begin of this year. But we are working on it. I promise to give you a reply within next two weeks.

Conny

Hanson
05-20-2014, 03:52 AM
:) Thanks Conny.

Dont know Joel, but someone prob will.

J.Emerson
05-20-2014, 03:57 AM
Oh hey, this looks great! I'll have to look into it further...

triceretops
07-19-2014, 05:47 AM
Just a mention: Conny has explained to me that about three writers who have signed up for articles/stories seemed to have vanished and she cannot get a hold of them. I'm not certain whether they are all AW writers but I would encourage them to try and reconnect to Conny and explain any changes or hardships. I don't have to tell you that such things can throw management into a tailspin and halt production on some books/sets/stories.

If you have any personal questions about my payments and workload you can email me or PM me. A most often asked questions is when the arcs or contributor's copies will come through for the authors, and I can best say that they will all appear before the new year. I know that's a long wait, but many of these articles are going into boxed sets that require just as much or more formatting, translation and editing work that regular books.

Also, Conny is looking for freelance editors for the stories for Xiaoduo Media. So feel free to contact her.

Regards,

Chris

Xiaoduo Media
07-22-2014, 03:43 PM
Thank you, Chris!

I seem to have problem with my mail box:-( If anyone has sent me a question and doesn't get an answer for couple of days (not including the story submissions), please send it again or leave a message here.

Thanks
Conny

triceretops
08-09-2014, 03:41 AM
Thank you, Chris!

I seem to have problem with my mail box:-( If anyone has sent me a question and doesn't get an answer for couple of days (not including the story submissions), please send it again or leave a message here.

Thanks
Conny

I would agree with sending a backup email here as well as direct contact.

Kayley
08-15-2014, 10:12 PM
What's the current payrate for Red Squirrel? The OP written in 2013 says 25c per word, while the article Tri wrote in 2014 says 15c per word. Is 15c per word the max for Red Squirrel now? That's not a dealbreaker for me because it's still a good rate, but I just want to make sure I have the right expectations before sending something over.

Gisele
08-19-2014, 02:31 AM
Hi there!

Does anyone know what Red Squirrel's current response time is? Couldn't find it on the website.

Thanks!

Gisele :)

AZWriter
08-19-2014, 07:32 AM
Gisele, it used to be around 5 days but now it is closer to about a month I would say. Still less than most places.

Gisele
08-19-2014, 09:44 PM
Thanks AZ,

I submitted something two months ago, but haven't heard back. I sent an email a few days ago, but no word yet. I appreciate the info.

Gisele, it used to be around 5 days but now it is closer to about a month I would say. Still less than most places.

triceretops
08-20-2014, 05:19 AM
Hi there!

Does anyone know what Red Squirrel's current response time is? Couldn't find it on the website.

Thanks!

Can't help you much on the Red Squirrel sub stats since I write for the non-fic branch. But I would imagine that RS is much more popular and may take a longer response time than Ask You Ask Me, which usually gets back to me within four days for all subs and emails--very prompt and efficient.

tri

williemeikle
08-20-2014, 03:31 PM
I queried on my Red Squirrel subs a few weeks back and was told they were busy and would get back to me by the end of this month...

Gisele
08-20-2014, 08:32 PM
Thanks, Tri and Willie. The info is greatly appreciated!

Finchlark
08-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Would someone mind confirming which email they used to contact Conny?

triceretops
08-28-2014, 12:47 AM
Was just informed:

Conny is swamped with the Red Squirrel fiction material at the moment and is currently going through the subs and revisions. She just got back from China and the stack is really high.

However...WE NEED SCIENCE WRITERS IN THE WORST WAY. Completion of the series has been postponed until March 2015. I'm out of the mix right now, recovering from very serious health issues, but hope to be back soon. In the meantime, Conny needs writers for the Ask You Ask Me series about future transportation and technology and space travel and physics. Articles range from 1,000 to 1,500 words. Conny will send you the open topics and you can pick from a number of candidates.

Tri--Chris

Gisele
08-28-2014, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the update, Chris!

triceretops
08-28-2014, 12:58 AM
Your welcome. The fiction responses were just overwhelming. On the other hand, the science series has suffered from a lack of writers, or those who quit, vanished and never resumed contact.

tri

OJCade
08-28-2014, 01:45 AM
I'm finishing up a doctorate in science communication, so this sounds like the perfect market for me. Science writing ftw!

triceretops
08-28-2014, 08:34 AM
I'm finishing up a doctorate in science communication, so this sounds like the perfect market for me. Science writing ftw!

Sounds like you're a perfect fit. Give it a try. The pay is extraordinary.

tri

OJCade
08-28-2014, 09:40 AM
I've sent an email query off. :)

redflame
09-20-2014, 10:18 PM
Is it worth sending a submission for 'Red Squirrel'? If so, what categories are in demand? Also, has Conny stopped sending submission rejection emails? I know she did at one point.
Thanks!

williemeikle
09-20-2014, 11:25 PM
Seeing the thread revived reminds me, I need to chase up Connie on those fiction subs...