How long?

bulldoggerel

Let Them Eat Crow
Registered
Reaction score
Can't find this anywhere here, but I am on dial-up and this takes a looooong time to navigate.
A publisher has my manuscript. They have had it 5 months and no word. When do I give up.
Since there was never any exclusivity agreement- should I send it elsewhere?

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
bulldoggerel—I'm assuming this would be a lot like contacting an agent—an email nudge at the three-month mark would probably be okay. Always be polite:

Dear Publisher,

Back in January I sent my manuscript "Time Flies" to you upon a request for full. Have you had a chance to look at it yet?

As always, thank you for your time and consideration.

Yours Respectfully,
Anxious Writer

Last edited:

GinJones

Registered
Reaction score
What's their posted time-frame for responding? Do they have a policy that they do or don't reply to all subs? Was it requested or simply submitted? All of those things affect the appropriate next step.

Other than Harlequin and its category lines (where, if your story really is appropriate for one of their lines, it's probably not appropriate for any other publisher), I'm not aware of any publisher who requires exclusivity, so I'd keep submitting, rather than contacting the publisher. I remember one publisher stating its response time was "four months to forever," and it really wasn't uncommon for people to hear a year or more later. I had at least one personalized rejection at the year-plus mark, while others were in the four to six month range. Personally, I would just keep submitting, and not check until AT LEAST six months were up, in case it was lost, perhaps more like nine months, but that's just me.

bulldoggerel

Let Them Eat Crow
Registered
Reaction score
The publisher is smallish, and they did not post any sort of time period. The manuscript was requested in response to a query I made. The response to my query took about one month.
Thanks for these answers folks!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I'd nudge at the one year mark in this case. Publishers are notoriously much slower than agents. I have received rejections at the 18 month mark, even from e-mailed submissions on requested material. They were all very nice and apologetic because the editors knew they had taken forever.

bulldoggerel

Let Them Eat Crow
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks

This query stuff is rough on sleep patterns and fingernails!