Average time a book is at a mag. for review?

Rhush

Slave to the metal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Hi there. I'm certain I've posted in the wrong thread, but I don't know where to ask this. Actually, I'm not certain there is a very concrete answer tot his question, but I thought I'd ask anyway, ha. My humor book GET CUSTODY OF THE CAT is currently at a niche, (but top mag in its category) UK magazine waiting for review. It's a one sitting type read. Very short and full of funny pics. Is there any standard on the average time a book waits in line for review? It has been at the mag for around a month. I'm sure this is a silly question, but I'm going batty with anticipation. Thanks!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I think it varies, like every other publisher. So my advice is the usual. Stop thinking about it or you will drive yourself mad. Seriously. Go and write something else. Get on with your life.

And good luck with the sub.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's their lead time and publication schedule? Do they slot reviews, add them to a pile that can be inserted on demand, etc.? Is it topical or seasonal? Might be they won't publish the review for a year, even if they write it next week. Might be they never read or publish it.

Every magazine is different. Plus, you did send it to other magazines, papers, etc., right?

Jeff

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I waited 9 months to hear back from one magazine. :) It really depends.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Depends entirely on the magazine or site. From experience of major magazines and newspapers, though, the reviewer should have it in his/her hands 4-6 months before release so it appears in the issue the month of or month before release.

If the book is submitted after release, you're likely looking at a wait of 6-8 months after submitted, unless it's holiday or season-themed or dealing with a particular historic event or location...meaning it will stay on someone's desk until the next roll-around of the season, holiday or event.

My advice is to contact the venue or reviewer (if you know the name) after 6-8 weeks to find out the intended pub date. Good luck!

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
When I worked for a magazine, book reviews were considered to be unpaid adverstising. The decision as to how many books got reviewed depended on how much ad space was left over after the paid ads were closed for the issue. Sometimes that could be up to 10 books or as little as none. Once in a while a publisher would try to buy advertising for one book in return for us reviewing another. No deal, but they tried, almost every issue.