Spamming and Blogspot

Lady Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
randomwriterlythoughts.blogspot.com
I have two blogs, both with Blogspot, and for a while now I've been running the same posts on both of them while I decide which blog to archive and which one to keep (or I might just start over and archive them both).

Anyway . . . I've noticed I've started to get the odd spam message in the comments so I decided to up the security - one blog I have it set so you have to type in the letters and/or numbers to comment, the other the comments are sent to my email and I can decide which ones appear on my blog.

I am appalled at the number of spam comments that I'm getting on old posts! One of my posts from 2010 has 156 spam comments on it. That's just one post on one blog. I know I can go in and delete them all, but I've got hundreds of posts to go through and I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble.

The moderation allows me to prevent the spam from appearing at all, but I can see where having all these comments sent to my email will get old, really fast. The security code, on the other hand, is kind of annoying.

Anyway, my question is this: which do you think is more effective for keeping spammers away, enabling the moderation of comments or enabling the security code?

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
There's no real solution for spam comments, and keeping on top of them as they are made is the best way to keep the blog clear of dubious linkage in comments. I've found that the barriers tend not to stop spam, but can prevent others from posting comments. YMMV as to the best solution for your own blogs.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
I've been experiencing a tremendous amount of spam on my dog blog. I used to have CAPTCHA, but I got rid of that in favor of better dialogue with legitimate users. Of course, this opened the spam floodgates. This morning I had three mashup comments of knitting/pregnancy/sexcams. I'm a bit disturbed. I don't have hundreds, I'm just not cool enough, but moderation or "registered users only" is what I'm trying to choose between. It hasn't gotten bad enough yet that I feel I need to take immediate action, but my 12 year old cousin reads the blog (the dog one is "family friendly") and I'd rather she not read about fleshlights.

Lady Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
randomwriterlythoughts.blogspot.com
Well, I found a place in blogger where I can access my entire comments list and got rid of all the spam that made it into my comments without me being aware of it.

I'm finding the comment moderation seems to be the best solution, but I'm surprised that spam I'm still getting is on a handful of posts from 2010 instead of current posts. As long as I don't end up with a flood of spam messages being sent to my inbox, I'm good with being able to pick and choose which comments appear on my blog.