It has been slightly over a month now...

Mayusan

Registered
Reaction score
I had submitted a proposal with several sample chapters of my book to a publisher. They wrote back expressing interest in the work and requested the manuscript in its entirety. This was about a month ago.

What is the time limit before you maybe email and ask if they have an thoughts or questions? Is there a number of weeks that it generally takes? This particular publisher is usually good with communication. Several of my friends received personal rejection letters via snail mail rather quickly... so I don't know if not hearing is good or bad since my friends didn't make it this far. ha.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
A month is nothing. Seriously. It has been known to take up to a year with some publishers.

Afraid you're just going to have to be patient.

Mayusan

Registered
Reaction score
cool, thanks. I was curious because my friends received such quick rejections (matter of weeks), so I wasn't sure what to expect what I got an enthusiastic request for my full manuscript. So I guess I'll continue waiting. lol

Love the avatar by the way. I just finished watching the Aztec arc of the first Dr. Who last night. Almost finished with season 1.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Well, it can be a good sign but try not to hope too much. You know, just in case.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
Have you checked the publisher's website to see if they mention response times?
If they don't mention times, I'd consider asking about 3-4 months in, but it's typically best to continue onto your next work.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Best just to forget the ms. for the next couple of months---send a polite inquiry around 3 months after submitting. But meanwhile, you should be submitting elsewhere. You're not committed till an agent slips the ring on your finger...

rnpudel

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I had a very interested editor request my ms. That was five months ago. I nudged after three months. She said the interns really enjoyed it and it was next on her TBR list.

I've heard in this case, no news is good news. So be prepared to work on something else while you wait. I finished another ms, and will be querying it soon. :) Do keep us posted, though, please. :)