The Inner Life of User Icons

Tex_Maam

not in show business
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetexfiles.com
Okay, so I'm trying to smarten myself up about social media and platform-building (and boy, it's something.)

Here's what I've picked up so far.

1. Your user icon should be consistent across all your online accounts, so folks who see you on FaceSpace will instantly recognize you when you pop up on Funbler.

2. Said user icon is ideally an image of your own fabulous face, posed for maximal platform-appropriate charisma.

So here's a question: if you're one of those folks who has elected not to use a personal photo, is there any particular strategy or logic for what you use as a substitute? Are you good as long as it's consistent and recognizable at tiny thumbnail sizes, or are there hidden bonus points to be obtained somehow?

I know this is probably one of the least important parts of the whole operation, but I've only just been learning about how much science and marketing necromancy goes into logo design, and I'm wondering how much of that applies in the social sphere.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
If you have a book cover that can be a good alternative to a picture of your face as a social media avatar.

It also helps a lot of keep the same username across various social networks, if you can.

writingismypassion

~Charity~
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...my blogger profile pic is of me, but my twitter pic is of my dog. It was a photo I took of Dale Jr's car (I'm a NASCAR FAN), but I changed it when the race season ended. I just use whatever I'm interested in using. Perhaps when I've obtained a book contract, or at least an agent, I'll be more consistent.

I was more interested in keeping my name consistent. I use Charity Faye for my blog address, but it wasn't available for my twitter handle. So I'll probably change my blog address before being concerned about my profile pics.

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I chose the mushroom as it was part of a picture I'd produced. I've been using it for longer than I've been writing, but as both my art and my writing tends to be speculative, there wasn't a mismatch.

On an old art site, where it had to be a picture of me, I dyed my hand purple and photographed that.

I wouldn't think of it as a logo, as you don't want to look corporate. You need something with a similar level of personal to a face photo.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I don't use a photo of myself because 1) I'm not that photogenic and 2) that's a security breach I'm not willing to commit.

I am an artist, and most of my identities are linked through my blog. Books play a huge part of my life across all social platforms, so the filigree book is one of my hallmarks.

Tex_Maam

not in show business
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetexfiles.com
Hey, all - thanks much for your replies! It's so nice to know that there's not one single Must-Do Consensus around out there (and pretty dang cool to hear the stories behind some of the user icons around here - I wonder if anyone's done a thread for those yet.)

So it sounds like the main thing is to make yourself recognizable, really. A face, a fungus, a filigree book, a purple hand (!!!) - let's hear it for standing out for all the right reasons...!