New to blogging

Maine2

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I decided to create a blog. I paint as well as write, but for the last few months, with life going on around me I haven't had to much inspiration to sit down and write. Well, with the exception of bad poetry that is the product of working night shift at the hospital on a slow night. So, I'm ashamed to admit *hanging head in shame* I'm a little out of practice. I decided to create this blog more so that I can post random musings, art, and the occasional short story just to fine tune my skill and keep sharp. I'm not really sure that there will be a particular focus to the blog, but time will tell as I warm up in the writing area. If anyone wants to check it out and comment please feel free. I have a grand total of *drum roll please* two post so far. I'm thinking daily posts but I don't know :Shrug:. It might turn into weekly posts, or just random posts to match the crazy mixed up world that is my mind. The link is posted below in my signature box.

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
I would recommend a follow this blog box on the side. I read a lot of blogs, but many I don't subscribe to because it is too hard to find where to follow or join, and I don't want to follow the ones I have to only do by email, my Inbox is overloaded as is.

I'd follow you on your blog, my daughter is a graphic artist, but I couldn't find where to follow it.

SuzanneSeese

Comfortably numb by rejections
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.viewofsue.blogspot.com
If you need to find the links to any of the bells and whistles, like the follow this blog box, just click on it from anyone's blog and it should lead you to registering.
I'm not one to give advice on how often to post, I'm erratic on both of my blogs. But I won't post just to post. I try for once a week but that doesn't always happen. If you are disciplined pick a day of the week and post. If you find the time post some other day of the week too.
Your blog looks good so far by the way.:Thumbs:

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
The term blog has become an online journal or diary. I wonder at the real use of this.

I do follow a lot of blogs of authors and political/news matters. On the news/political front, they post many, many blogs daily. The reason for that is the plethora of news every day.

On the writing/author side, it's either one daily or every few days. The problem with these is presenting interesting information on a daily basis. It also is based upon how many followers they have.

I recently read an article about blogging for authors and was told, "hold it down to one every two weeks or so." Don't overload your followers.

As for me, that is what I am now trying to do. I will post when I think I have something interesting to say.

However, whatever you do is up to YOU, what YOU feel like doing and saying.

Good luck with it.

Maine2

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for the advice! I added the "follow this blog box" and I am planning one post for later tonight or tomorrow but after that I will probably try to stick with the once a week postings, so I don't overload everyone or run out of things to say. Any more suggestions or advice are greatly appreciated. :D

Maine2

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
This is a really good thread. Thanks! I am thinking about starting a blog as well and I'm totally overwhelmed!

Awesome! Good Luck with starting the blog! I've considered starting a blog for a very long time but I never knew what to blog about. I just figure what the heck. I'm going to stop thinking about it and just dive right in. I'll see how it goes. :)

Maine2

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I will do that.. Thanks :)

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
Since you're an artist as well, let me suggest that when you are feeling deeply uninspired to write, a couple of pages from a sketchbook tend to go over very well. Even if some of the images are just weird doodles. (Heck, especially weird doodles!)

Maine2

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Since you're an artist as well, let me suggest that when you are feeling deeply uninspired to write, a couple of pages from a sketchbook tend to go over very well. Even if some of the images are just weird doodles. (Heck, especially weird doodles!)

Yeah, I tend to rotate between art and writing. Doodling does help clear my head alot of times. :D

A. M. Howard

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad you started this thread. I'm not new to blogging, but I'm new to blogging with other people in mind. My most popular blog was one I did a few years ago...I just wrote posts in diary format.

I guess my question is: is it 'appropriate' to write diary style for a writer's website?