CAN YOU BE CERTAIN YOU HAVEN'T PICKED A SIMILAR BLOG TITLE???

S.C. Denton

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there was a way to be certain your blog title isn't the same as another blog?

And does it even matter? Legally or otherwise?

These days there are so many people out there blogging I imagine there are blogs out there titled the same/similar.

If it's not a legal issue, then what's the proper etiquette?

I have done several searches on different search engines, and haven't found one with the same/similar name.

Last edited:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your questions, but I'd like to ask you this: Why is your thread title all in caps, as if you are screaming at us? And why did you use such large text in your original post?

Do you think we are all hard of hearing and/or seeing here?

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
As long as you're not blatantly ripping off someone's blog address/name to steal views like "Ammazon.com" then you should be fine. If Google turns up with nothing when you type in the blog name, then use it.

When I type in "Lizzy's Dark Fiction" in Google, the only results that show up are the ones related to my blog (at least for a few pages of results). There aren't any blogs with similar names so if someone is searching for me, that's what they find.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Yeah, I'm in the "use your name" camp. I couldn't use "J.W. Alden" as the name because the url was taken, so I went with the next best thing. But I made sure my name was in there somewhere (and my full name is on the front page as well).

I think the same way when I see people using the name of their book as their twitter or facebook page. That might be good for getting the name of your book out there now, but what happens when the next one comes out? Start all over again? Make yourself the brand and you don't have to.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
Because not all of us are blogging as authors. I don't have an author blog, but I do have a blog where I talk about the apocalypse and a blog where I talk about books and reading.

With the apocalypse blog, there's another with a similar-ish name, but not exactly the same. This has never been a problem, as even though we cover similar areas, we do so in a completely different tone with a completely different focus. We have different markets, as it were. With the book blog, there's quite a few with a similar name, and a few facebook groups and twitter accounts (dead) with the same name. but I don't mind about that - I have no real ambitions for the book blog to become big and I don't update frequently or do more than the bare minimum to promote it.

If you want your blog to garner a lot of attention and to stand out, than a unique name is important. If not, I don't think there's any issue with accidentally having a similar name as another blog, especially if you aren't copying their content.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
If you can't find a blog called that by searching for it in quotes, and it's not a common phrase, it's probably fine.

The common phrase thing is partly because a lot of random pages will obscure the results, and partly because everyone and their parrot will use that name.

S.C. Denton

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The all CAPS thing is a leftover habit from my using an old typewriter almost my entire life. I'm one of the rare few people who didn't get a computer up until a few years ago.

I googled before I posted. As far as I could tell no blogs had the same/similar name.

I must've accidentally made the font too large when I changed it.

S.C. Denton

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. By the way, the name/title I chose was Mind the Darkness... Here be Teeth.

I know it's a bit on the generic side, but I thought about it for a long time and I couldn't come up with a name I liked better.