Blogging Ideas - But Need Advice!

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
I am interested in expanding my blog into possibly being a website about book publishing news, particularly with the indie field. I know I want to start off with interviewing and having guest posts from other authors, and then I'll see where that leads to. I'm a former journalist, so I guess I'm getting itchy feet over interviewing and reporting.

Anyway, I already have a personal blog that I update about two or three times a week. I admit I feel uncomfortable having a personal blog because it feels narcissistic to talk about my thoughts and what interests me all the time. But I know I need an online presence to sell my books.

So, should I start a new blog or use my current one for the interviews and guest posts? I just want to make the right decision on this.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would suggest a new blog. I would also respectfully suggest that interview and guest posts by other indie authors are the least interesting part of indie book blogs, unless that person has something unique to say. They tend to some of more as promo for that person's book rather than information for readers or other authors. There are a few indie blogs I read and they focus on other areas such as industry news or critiques of new books.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, you may have a point. I've heard about some people saying interviews and guests blogs being boring.

Like I said, I may be wanting to use my background toward something different, and I'm not too crazy using my blog just for an online presence. I could review books, but I honestly don't have the time for that.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoy reading guest posts but not interviews. Then again, I've read some pretty awesome interviews. It all depends on how interesting and unique the topic is.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the questions I ask. I know I don't want to be entirely generic and would want to get more in-depth with my interviews. I probably won't also do those getting-to-know-you questions like Pepsi or Coke, cats or dogs, etc.

I am leaning towards this idea. I hope within a week or two I'll be setting up the project. However, I tend to learn as I go when it comes to projects, which I know isn't very smart. It may be part of my nature to just dive in, but I know I should know what I am getting into before I do anything.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
I would recommend sticking with the existing blog. Two reasons:

1. It's already there and may be getting some visits. Why reinvent the wheel?

2. It's more work to maintain two blogs. You want to spend your time writing, not maintaining two blogs.