Paying for 'classes'?

ShannonR.

<insert witty title here>
Registered
Reaction score
This might be a silly question, but is it 'normal' or 'kosher' to pay for learning materials in this industry? I subscribe to several newsletters that show ads for software or 'webinar' instructional packages that are purported to help you 'get your foot in the door.' Here's an example of what I'm talking about that was included on the Script newsletter:

http://www.thewriterslife.com/cop/0926/scriptmag/?et_mid=581692&rid=233801569

It reminds me of the 'secret shopper' scams where you have to pay to work for someone. However, I get the impression that the writing/screenwriting industry has 'rules' of its own that don't apply to other jobs.

I have no intention of buying anything like this because I am rather low on cash at the moment, but are instructional packages like this 'legit' or are they scams?

I'll be honest-I get really, really discouraged when I see that all these materials (Final Draft, classes, programs, etc) that everyone recommends are so expensive. I wish ScreenwritingU and The Writers' Store offered 'scholarships'.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looking at that link specifically: I wouldn't go anywhere near it.

More generally, I don't think it is any problem taking courses, classes, workshops, conferences, etc., even online as long as the source of the information is reputable. Shoot, why else would people get MFAs and such? I've taken training classes and learned a lot. But my rule is that I seek them out, not the other way around. Do your homework and find out what other people think about any such service you consider.

blueobsidian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersblocks.blogspot.com
People recommend highly priced classes and products because that means they make a good commission on it (or, in the case of a third-party ad, because the advertiser is paying well for that spot). Be very skeptical of being on anyone's mailing list. Building a list is a huge tool in internet marketing. Most people don't build mailing lists just to help others - they are also trying to sell products, whether their own or someone else's.

Take the information you need from those lists, but don't get hung up on the ads. They are just trying to sell you.

Deleted member 42

I wouldn't in general take those classes.

That said, there are legitimate classes, many online.

Research the class; who is teaching it? What have they published and where? Have you heard of them? Can you find their books or articles? What do former students say?

ShannonR.

<insert witty title here>
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks...the idea of paying for software or some other product with the promise of making me successful sounded odd to me too but, like I said, I see so much of this stuff and things like it that make me think that this whole industry-particularly screenwriting-operates completely differently from anything else I've ever done.

The way ads like this read (asking the same questions over and over again without many answers) sound like what my managers used to want me to do when selling life insurance. Um, no. :)

I hope I'm not the only one who gets dismayed by seeing how expensive even the legitimate software, etc is.

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
I usually don't even consider most of what's being peddled to me on the internet. However, there are several writers I respect who do offer classes. I would definitely take one of their classes (and I plan to do it, as soon as I can free up some $$ in the ol' budget).

My advice is due diligence. If you're interested in a particular course's subject matter, then research the instructor. Check out one of their books at the library and see if you like their style. Sometimes, reading the book can make taking the course unnecessary.

Deleted member 42

I wouldn't buy instructional software packages.

I can see a subscription fee or class charge associated with taking a class online; UCLA for instance charges undergraduates a fee for online Web sites. The sites are generally worth the money; they are the way the class is conducted in many cases, and they provide access to instructional materials to supplement lectures, or as lectures, in many cases.

But there are a lot of "teach yourself" packages that are variants on a pyramid scheme.

Many of them focus on self-publishing; I'd be very wary.