Need advice

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote an article that is a perfect fit for a specific magazine. In Writer's Market it says: "Responds in two months to queries". It also says . . . "Send complete manuscript". I called and had a great conversation directly with the editor and he confirmed that I should send in the completed manuscript. I did so via e-mail just as he suggested. That was July 25th, almost 2 months ago. I have heard nothing since. The statement about waiting two months is only about queries. Do you think it applies to manuscripts too? Would it be appropriate for me to follow up just to make sure they got it OK? If they were going to reject it, would they just ignore me? Or would they send a rejection? Or am I being too impatient? Should I wait the full two months that they say to wait for responses to queries? I have a sinking feeling that things are floating in limbo. Thanks for any advice you can give me here.

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
I wrote an article that is a perfect fit for a specific magazine. In Writer's Market it says: "Responds in two months to queries". It also says . . . "Send complete manuscript". I called and had a great conversation directly with the editor and he confirmed that I should send in the completed manuscript. I did so via e-mail just as he suggested. That was July 25th, almost 2 months ago. I have heard nothing since. The statement about waiting two months is only about queries. Do you think it applies to manuscripts too? Would it be appropriate for me to follow up just to make sure they got it OK? If they were going to reject it, would they just ignore me? Or would they send a rejection? Or am I being too impatient? Should I wait the full two months that they say to wait for responses to queries? I have a sinking feeling that things are floating in limbo. Thanks for any advice you can give me here.

I don't see any reason you shouldn't call him and make sure your manuscript made it into the correct inbox--especially since you've already established a relationship with him, and he invited you to send it.

Who knows? Maybe his spam filter was overly militant, and he never saw your manuscript.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Do not call. I usually double the wait time and re-query if I hear nothing. I include a note that this is a resubmission of something originally sent on xx date and I'm concerned the original was misplaced cyberspace.

You may want to look up the specific publication in Bewares or mention who it is here. Often folks will post their wait times and other experiences. That can give you a better idea of whether you're being impatient.

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
Do not call. I usually double the wait time and re-query if I hear nothing. I include a note that this is a resubmission of something originally sent on xx date and I'm concerned the original was misplaced cyberspace.

You may want to look up the specific publication in Bewares or mention who it is here. Often folks will post their wait times and other experiences. That can give you a better idea of whether you're being impatient.

Just curious, on what are you basing this opinion? A bad experience with following up?

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
Definitely follow up! At worst, they won't have got to your submission yet or will give you a 'no' that you would have received anyway. At best, you'll give them the reminder they need to buy it.

Mag editors are in the business of paying for great content for profit. If your piece will sell issues, hassling them won't stop them from doing just that.

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
Follow-up

Thank you all for your advice. I did make a follow-up phone call and spoke directly with the editor. I got the feeling the piece had gotten lost in the shuffle. He paused a second and did some shuffling, looked at his computer, and then said he did have the article and wanted to re-read it. He also asked if I had photos to accompany it. I told him yes, as I had said in the cover letter. That was 5 days ago on Wednesday and I haven't heard back.

Based on this background, I'm thinking of using his question "Do you have photos?" as a reason or excuse to e-mail him. The e-mail would have the photos attached and simply say . . . "This will follow up on our conversation last Wednesday on the article titled XXXXX. You asked if I had photos to accompany the piece. Attached are several pictures I've selected. I have several others and would be happy to send as many as you like. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to let me know." . . . Note, he did not ask me to send them . . but he did ask if I had photos . . So I am sending them based on his question.

What do you think of that strategy? Thanks.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Just curious, on what are you basing this opinion? A bad experience with following up?

Mostly I'm basing this on conversations with book editors and agents. They prefer e-mail follow ups, if any. Submission Guidelines often indicate whether and how to follow up.

Umgowa,
It sounds like the editor may be on the fence about your article. What they hate gets rejected out right, what they love gets purchased outright. What's in the middle often sits. I'd proceed with caution when pushing. Give him a few more days to make a decision before your own pushiness makes it for him. You might also want to mention being willing to revise if he feels the article isn't quite there yet. I hope this helps.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
An editor doesn't want to look through several photos, especially ones they haven't asked for. He knows you have photos if he takes the story. I would try and wait.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
Mostly I'm basing this on conversations with book editors and agents. They prefer e-mail follow ups, if any. Submission Guidelines often indicate whether and how to follow up.

Umgowa,
It sounds like the editor may be on the fence about your article. What they hate gets rejected out right, what they love gets purchased outright. What's in the middle often sits. I'd proceed with caution when pushing. Give him a few more days to make a decision before your own pushiness makes it for him. You might also want to mention being willing to revise if he feels the article isn't quite there yet. I hope this helps.

Don't do this yet! Don't give him any reason to believe that you think your story is not up to scratch. I would use the photos as an opportunity to reengage with him. "Here are the photos we discussed, I'd love your thoughts on how they tie in to the piece."

I edit a magazine and honestly, we get so many pitches that I'm often grateful for a little reminder.