How Often Do You Tweak Your Template?

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
It's a rainy day outside so I'm hanging around the computer today and noodling with my template. Mostly just catching up on my blogroll - putting in links to the sites that link to me and where I want to keep up with comments.

How often do you make changes? What kind?

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Sweeping! I don't do the blogroll thing, but I often poke at things, adding a rounded edge here or a shadow effect there, or whatever. Currently looking to shunt a lot of posts to another domain entirely (aiming to seperate my professional writing from general gibberish)

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by "post books" if you want to just post links then you use the same kind of HTML code you'd use to post a blog link - towards the bottom of my sidebar is Dawno's Bookshelf - and if you click on the titles it takes you to a link either at Amazon or another retailer. If you want to post a picture of a book cover, that's a different kettle of fish and a bit more complicated in terms of HTML. I did it with my buttons so I know it can be done...I figured out how to do a lot of the stuff I do by studying thre template code and using the view menu in my browser to view "page source" on websites and blogs. Also, the www.w3schools.com site is a great resource.

SeanDSchaffer

Posting Books

Paint said:
I try to post once a week, to keep interest up. I have a fan! Yay! Yes, I said 'a', gotta start somewhere.

I am trying to figure out how to post books I have read on the right side, any suggestions?

I don't have the link with me, but Blogger gives a cool way to do that in the Help section.

Basically what you do is mess with the template a little bit. It's a html thing, and you can list the book either as a title or you can also make the title into a hyperlink to whatever place you like to send people to, to get a book. For me, that place is Amazon, simply because I know Amazon. If it were a better site that I knew real well, I'd be willing to change everything so as to not be pushing the potential readers so much into buying them right away.

But I digress. The fact is, Blogger has the information you'll need. (I noticed you've got a blogspot site, that's why I mention Blogger.) Just go to the Dashboard, and go to the bunch of links at the very bottom, click on the 'help' link, and it'll take you to a fairly user-friendly help section.

I hope this helps, and that you have a great weekend!

smile.gif

kathompson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathompson.blogspot.com
I tend to completely change the look every 6-8 months; I add things and remove things from the sidebars on an as-needed basis. Keeping up the blogroll is easy enough: I keep a Blogroll It tag on my browser's toolbar, so if I hit a site I want to keep, it's just a matter of clicking.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been thinking about blogroll it - would using it mean I'd have to put all the current stuff in there? (as in yikes, too much work)

Marilyn Braun

Royal Bibliomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marilynsroyalblog.blogspot.com
I would love to update my site and make it look more 'royal' - so far I haven't found a template that reflects that.

I mainly update my blog with royal links. If I find a royal site that's really interesting or other people might enjoy, I will add it to my list of links.

kathompson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathompson.blogspot.com
Dawno said:
I've been thinking about blogroll it - would using it mean I'd have to put all the current stuff in there? (as in yikes, too much work)
Yep, you'd have to add everything in if you're not already using Blogrolling...but it's not time consuming. Keep 2 browser windows open, one with your blog and one with Blogrolling...right click on the link in your blog, select "Copy Link" or "Copy Shortcut" (depends on what browser you're using) and then go to the Blogrolling add links thingy, and paste it in.

When you're done you'll have to get into your blog template and add the Blogrolling code (and remove all your current blog links) and republish.

I think when I first started I had 20-25 links and it only took 5 minutes to cut and paste them all.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Thumper! I'll put that on my 'cat vacuuming' to do list along with a couple other tweaky things I eventually want to do on the template. :)