About Chapters

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You can do whatever you like, it's your book.

If you're planning on submitting your work to an agent or publisher, though, I wouldn't go with the little pictures unless they're pertinent to the book: such flourishes are really part of the design and typesetting of the book, which will be handled by your publisher at a later date. If you're going to self publish, though, go right ahead. Do what you think best. But remember that in typesetting less is usually more: you want your work to look elegant and stylish, not dressed up like a Christmas tree.

Deleted member 42

If you're going to self-publish and you want dingbats (those graphic elements) in a chapter title, you'll need to learn some CSS and HTML.

Reaction score
Website
www.cathymcdowell.vpweb.com
You can do whatever you like, it's your book.

If you're planning on submitting your work to an agent or publisher, though, I wouldn't go with the little pictures unless they're pertinent to the book: such flourishes are really part of the design and typesetting of the book, which will be handled by your publisher at a later date. If you're going to self publish, though, go right ahead. Do what you think best. But remember that in typesetting less is usually more: you want your work to look elegant and stylish, not dressed up like a Christmas tree.

I'm asking because I am now reading a book I picked up from the library and have noticed this author used lip prints in place of chapters.
It fits perfectly with the story.

Do Chapters matter? Do we have to have chapters? Should the pages be numbered?
I've seen both ways. Just not sure what route to take.

I am submitting for publication and going to self publish. I don't want to wait months to find out the publisher isn't accepting it.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I am submitting for publication and going to self publish. I don't want to wait months to find out the publisher isn't accepting it.

The same book? Once you self-publish, it's going to be next to impossible to get a trade publisher to consider it.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Do Chapters matter?

Only because they provide natural breaks in our text and so help punctuate our books on a large scale, giving readers a place to step back and draw breath.

Do we have to have chapters?

Nope.

Should the pages be numbered?

It's probably best, for all sorts of reasons: one of them is it helps readers keep track of where they are.

Some people number their pages, others don't. It's up to you but if you're submitting your manuscript then you must.

I am submitting for publication and going to self publish.

If you're doing both with the same manuscript make sure you make this clear in your submissions. Many agents and publishers won't consider a work which has already been published.

I don't want to wait months to find out the publisher isn't accepting it.

If you want to submit to agents and publishers then you have no choice.

Deleted member 42

I'm asking because I am now reading a book I picked up from the library and have noticed this author used lip prints in place of chapters.
It fits perfectly with the story.

The author didn't do that, thought it's possible the author requested it (and also, not likely).

That decision was made by the publisher's art director/designer.

Do Chapters matter? Do we have to have chapters? Should the pages be numbered?

It is rare for a book not to have chapters. Numbers are also generally used to help the reader navigate.

If you are producing ebooks, you do not create numbered pages (that happens on the devise where the book is read) but you will need to produce chapter breaks and chapter openers.

The decision to use numbers, (Roman or Arabic) or text or both is made by the art director in consultation with the editor, and based in part by the publisher's style guidelines.

If you self-publish you drastically reduce the chances of a commercial publisher taking an interest unless you sell thousands of copies of the book.

Were I you, I'd write the first novel, revise, get people to beta read and crit, revise, have someone read it through again, revise, submit it to agents and/or publishers, and while you wait, write a second book.

The best way to sell more copies of book 1 is to publish another book six months to a year later, and then, a third six months to a year later.

Each new book sells, but more importantly, a new book sells your back list.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com

The author probably didn't do this. It was probably a decision made by the book designer at the publisher. Authors don't usually make these kinds of design decisions.

For example, in my most recent book, a novel about bike racing, the book designer inserted a graphic of bicycle chain links for space breaks. I adore it, but it came from the designer, not from me.

Reaction score
Website
www.cathymcdowell.vpweb.com
Thank you all for your very helpful answers.
As you can see by my avatar, I have a short story book published with createspace.

I also have a self help weight loss book published with lulu. Creatspace doesn't do less than 24 page books. Phooey on them.

This is my first novel and I have already started my 2nd.
Thanks again!

LindsayM

Registered
Reaction score

Ack! Wait! No! Listen to the others above - this is not the way to go if you want a traditionally published book. Yes, there ARE cases where a self-published book gets picked up by a major publisher, but it's incredibly rare - more often than not, if the agent or publisher sees that the book is already self-published, they'll automatically pass.

As for the chapter numbers - that's really the job of the production department, but you can always mention it to your editor once your team is in place.