Article on social media for self-pubbed authors

Hiroko

Which of them was the machine?
Registered
Reaction score
I am not saying self-publishing is supposed to be the easy route, but the 80/20 rule is a little depressing. Just like any other person who does something they love, the self-publishers want to spend more writing and less time not writing. Many writers don't even like marketing (including myself), and the thought of being encouraged to spend so much effort into just that is more than a little nerve-wracking. I got into writing to write, after all.

uscgbyron

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marieabmare.wordpress.com
That's a very interesting article. I ran a FB ad for a while, and it did generate likes for my FB page, but I didn't seen any significant changes in sales. Same with blog traffic (I keep all my own stats for analysis) and I see no correlations between blog traffic and sales. Now, I will grant you, I have low traffic on my blog and low sales (steady but low; average 4 a month), so I guess you could draw a correlation there BUT most visitors to my site are brought in by poetry and I have only one poetry compilation which does not sell (1 copy total, my fiancee) so draw your own conclusions there.

If anything affects my sales, aside from the blurb/cover art/quality of writing obvious things, it seems to be largely the amount of work I have up. My sales have steadily risen as I published more titles. Season has a definite effect and then there are random spikes that I can only assume are little word of mouth spreads (one title sold 8 copies last Feb, which was a huge jump from the 2 it had sold over the previous 3 months.)

I haven't put much effort into marketing or getting reviews and all of my work is currently short stories and novellas. Just recently I have updated some of my blurbs and tags and I'm hoping to see some changes there. In a few months I'm planning on adjusting my prices and seeing what that does.

I'm also nearly finished my next novel-length work and hope to have it up by November, if not sooner. I'm pretty excited to see what happens there, as I have a feeling there is a different dynamic to novel length sales. No stats or anything just a feeling.

But as far as social media, I don't really see it being a successful sales tool. At least, not for me. Maybe someone with more charisma could make it work but...

Deleted member 42

The best PR for any author, print or digital, commercial or self, is to publish a new book.

New books sell the backlist.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
I'm convinced that epublishing is another tech bubble, and that it will burst within the next 18 months.
That's when I stopped reading. Kind of reminds me of when they were telling us that the Internet was a passing fancy that would never catch on.

sierra

Registered
Reaction score
I have enough trouble getting my head out of Facebook to write as it is! The 20/80 rule is ridiculous. I serious doubt any author would ever complete a book if they spent 20% of a day writing and 80% on social media.