Twitter version of "like"?

Emily Winslow

Do Not Walk on the Grass
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emilywinslow.com
I'm trying to tweet, trying to be a good listener, trying to be responsive and not just shouting clever things into the wilderness.

On Facebook, I use the "like" button a lot. Not automatically, not for everything, but there are a lot of statuses that don't warrant a particular comment, just an acknowledgement that the joke/news/observation made me smile. I'm trying to find an equivalent on Twitter.

I do reply to a tweet if I have something to actually say about it. Happy to retweet if something seems really special. There are tweets, though, that don't need a response and aren't amazing, I just want to acknowledge that I like it.

In Twitter etiquette, is there an action for this casual "made me smile, glad I read that" reaction? Something short of replying/retweeting?

Any advice appreciated.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I can't think of anything for specific tweets.

In general, there's "Follow Friday" where on Friday you use a hashtag of #ff and @mention the people you like and think others might want to follow, often with an extra qualifying hashtag(s) such as #writer #funny or #smart or maybe even ... #like.

And if you want more AW followers, put a link to your twitter account in your sig.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Scroll over the tweet to reveal the "Favorite" icon. This marks the tweet for you and sends an acknowledgement to the poster.

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stainedglassinthenight.wordpress.com
The only thing aside from retweeting it marking it as a favorite. That's not something the tweeter would see unless they went looking to see who favorited a tweet of theirs, though.

It depends if you want it private or public. Retweet if you want it publicly known, favorite it if you want it a little more quiet.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
That's not something the tweeter would see unless they went looking to see who favorited a tweet of theirs, though.

It depends on the user's account settings whether they will receive an email notification about favorites. Regardless, if they use Twitter directly (and not a third-party application like Hootsuite), the user will see when a tweet is favorited under the "interactions" section.

(Twitter makes updates fairly regularly, so they may change this in the future...because they like to mess with us. :D)