Blogger: Best Comment Settings? How to configure?

Viklit

Registered
Reaction score
Hello

I have a twofold query if I please may.

Firstly, what settings do people choose for their 'blogger' comments? I have anonymous comments allowed but preview first. However I notice people get confused thinking their comment has disappeared when I haven't managed to publish them yet, and I do admit it can be confusing.

I personally think those captcha type in thingys can be hard to read so I avoided that, but is that the best option? If I allow anonymous/anyone am I likely to get spam? I worry I would but am I worrying for no reason?

Have allowed anonymous because when I switched that off, people who didn't have blogger/open ID etc rightly said they then couldn't comment.

Would LOVE to know what settings you chose and why.

Secondly, is there anyway of making it so people can post longer comments? I see no setting for it but would like to change if poss.

Thanks all. I'm new to blogging so learning about how to set it all up/configure it/etc!

Last edited:

Hyphenman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
hyphenman.com
Hi, VikLit,

I can't answer all your questions, but I can pass along something that I intend to try. It's a variation of those irritating captcha codes and works much smoother.

Here's the link: math

It adds an extra field that you can place anywhere in your comment form and says: "Spam protection: Sum of 9 + 9?" There's then a blank for you to fill in the answer.

This is specifically for WordPress, but I would assume it works for other frameworks as well. There are a variety of ways to implement it.

The same link also offers other useful information for combatting spam.

I don't think anything can combat a human spammer. But with moderation/preview authority, you can manually delete those.

Viklit

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the math link, I'll take a look!

Deleted member 42

Thank you for the math link, I'll take a look!

Keep in mind that WordPress plugins won't work on Blogger.

With respect to Blogger's comments settings, go to Settings/Posts and Comments for the options.

I allow Anonymous comments, moderate all, have an email notice sent when I have a comment, and I have a note pointing out that I moderate comments and it may take a bit for a comment to appear on the Comment form.

I turn the CAPTCHA/word verification on ONLY when I've seen an uptick in spam. I turn it off as soon as the spam drops off, which is usually just a couple of days later.

Viklit

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both for commenting, I had Anon and Moderate set so perhaps that is the best bet! (and no, couldn't get the math link to work, ah well).

I might put in a notice explaining it'll take time for comments to appear, thanks for that suggestion!

pyrosama

Pyrosama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
matrix-hole.blogspot.com
Because I'm such an instant gratification type, I turn off moderation and I allow anon. But I get email notifications as soon as someone has left a comment. That way, if it's spam I can go and delete it immediately.

I don't get a whole lot of spam, thank goodness. I don't want to have to moderate my blog.

Viklit

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, good place to post the Math link, looks ace!

Pyrosama - maybe I should just bravely do that and see how I go!

Thanks both.