Editor/agent ettiquette

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
A friend of mine was published by one of the big six. Her contract gave the publisher the right of first refusal on her next book. She recently wrote a proposal for her second book and her agent submitted it to the publisher, per contract requirements. Publisher had 30 days to say Yea or Nay. They never responded at all; just let the clock run out, which leaves my friend free to seek publication elsewhere.

Is this common in the publishing world? This agent had worked with this publisher on numerous projects, and this author was one of theirs. Not even a "No, thanks."

Deleted member 42

Typically it has more to do with the editor than the publisher.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of editors not responding on option books more and more ... strictly anecdotal and second hand though.

LindsayM

Registered
Reaction score
It isn't entirely uncommon. Depends on the editor/agent relationship and a whole host of other factors. One of those other factors being whether the editor in question is overloaded with other projects or, particularly this time of year, off on vacation.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had it happen ages ago (no agent, just me) and now I don't sign contracts with that clause. I've never had an issue having the clause removed, and I always send the proposal to the same publisher/editor as the last one for the first crack at it any way.

Jeff

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
I find this super odd, becuase as an agent I'd be following up, calling, emailing, etc, and if the editor is blowing me off and it's a writer they've worked with.... bad taste in my mouth for sure.