Website Links

Krazykat

Positivilly Movillis . . .
Registered
Reaction score
This is probably a silly question, but I just wanted to confirm this. Is there ever a situation where you would need permission to post a link to someone else's site on your website? Or is it always okay to include links to any sites you like?

Deleted member 42

It's generally OK. It's courteous to let someone know if you're adding them to a sidebar.

Don't link directly to images without permission; that's called hotlinking and it's rude since you're consuming their bandwidth, and they'll have to pay for it.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
It's generally OK. It's courteous to let someone know if you're adding them to a sidebar.

Don't link directly to images without permission; that's called hotlinking and it's rude since you're consuming their bandwidth, and they'll have to pay for it.

What do you mean adding them to a sidebar?

Deleted member 42

What do you mean adding them to a sidebar?

As in a blog roll; a list of sites that appears on every post.

It's no small thing to be placed in a sidebar—so a courteous note re: I love your site so much/this particular post so much I've added it to my blogroll/sidebar etc. is a courteous way to let them know they're appreciated and to say thank you.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
As in a blog roll; a list of sites that appears on every post.

It's no small thing to be placed in a sidebar—so a courteous note re: I love your site so much/this particular post so much I've added it to my blogroll/sidebar etc. is a courteous way to let them know they're appreciated and to say thank you.

It's a way of saying "Expect more traffic." If they pay for their bandwidth based upon usage, they can plan for using more bandwidth.

Ohhh, thanks. I did not know that.

I do have something like that on my blog. I just put in links to interesting or relevant places I've found. My blog's so obscure, I doubt I've driven much traffic to them, but I suppose it would be nice to give them a heads-up anyway.

Deleted member 42

I suppose it would be nice to give them a heads-up anyway.

It's not only a courtesy, wrt to bandwidth as Williebee rightly notes, but think you feel when someone tells you "Hey, that thing you [painted/wrote/did] I really liked it!"

Courtesy and community and conversation; they drive the 'net. The trolls would like to think otherwise, but it's true.

starbirdy66

Writely Applied
Registered
Reaction score
Website
videsantis.writelyapplied.com
If the blog is WordPress, in the Discussion Settings area you can set a Default article setting to Allow link notifications from other blogs to see who links to your articles. Pingbacks and Trackbacks then show up in the comment area.

I've seen themes allow you to set a post to send notification to a link added in the body of the post to another site as well.

Krazykat

Positivilly Movillis . . .
Registered
Reaction score

Thanks! I'm just sticking to the basics, and I'm not familiar with how one would link directly to an image, so as long as it isn't something I could do accidentally without meaning to, I don't think that will be a problem.