Copy Editing Agreement between a Copy Editor and an author

Javielito

Registered
Reaction score
near a deep sea shrimp and a blackdevil angler fis
Copy Editing Agreement between a Copy Editor and an author

Good morning. I'm an unpublished author from Central America with a copyrighted manuscript in science fiction and military.

I met a friend (from Facebook) that speaks fluent native English and I asked her about copy editing: correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, and other rules of English, plus she will ask me about my story in anything confusing or unclear.

We both want a contract that will allow her to do the work as I wanted, and that will force me (of course, lol) to pay her money.

We are good friends (never met in real life) but we both don't know about a basic contract for.

Besides the money that I will pay her, I also want to grant her the 4% (if the book sells one day) for the copy-editing. What you guys think about this? Opinion...

Please, tell me the stipulations, points, and/or remarks of such contract. or please tell me where I can go to see the model or example of the document.

Thank in advance !

ps:
I don't know if this is the proper place/forum to post this;
please move the thread to the place it may belongs.

Thank again.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's not usual to pay a copy editor a royalty from the book's sales. It's far more usual to pay a flat fee for this work.

And please note that copy-editing involves far more than "correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, and other rules of English". It's a huge job and requires a very specific set of skills; and as such, it's not one that a novice can usually do well.

My feeling is that you'd be far better off finding someone willing to work as your beta-reader, which will usually be done for free or as a swap (you read mine, I'll read yours, for example) than employing this person to edit your work for you.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Jav,

Bear in mind that paying anyone to edit is no guarantee your edited story is going to sell.

Also, please bear in mind that there are different types of editors and each has a very specific task they perform.

Most professional editors or editing services charge 3 to 5 cents a word here in the U.S. The more you ask the editor to do, the more the cost.

Last edited:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I think the advice that people are giving you, that it would probably be wiser to swap editing with a native English speaker who needs editing help with a Spanish-language manuscript or similar, is very good.

But if you do choose to go ahead with hiring your friend as a copy editor, here are some sample contracts and letters of agreement.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Don't pay any percentage of your royalties to an editor or copy editor.

The standard business deal is a fee for services rendered.

http://www.the-efa.org/res/rates.php

You do not have to give them "credit" in the book. I once had a script writer who thought she'd have to give credit and a portion of the earnings to me, thinking it was like the movie industry. I said no to both.

You need to get feedback from other writers first.

If the book isn't ready to publish, then no edit or copy edit in the world will fix that. Ask around AW for beta readers to look your work over and offer suggestions.

If you're not ready to do that, then your work is not ready to publish.

Does this person have professional credits?

Can he or she point to books he or she edited so you can contact the writers to ask what they think of the editor's work?

If the answer is no to either or both, then I would suggest you reconsider doing business with this person.

A well-meaning amateur is not the best choice, even if they have an English degree. That's no indication they know what they're doing when it comes to copy-editing.

This person may not charge much, but you often get what you pay for--especially if they have no experience or references.

Here's a sample contract from the Editorial Freelancer's Association:

http://www.the-efa.org/res/sample_agreement.php

If this prospective editor hasn't heard of them, then again reconsider any deal with them.

You'll note that the letter is from the editor to the writer--not the other way around.

Remember, this is a business deal, not a favor from a friend. When money is involved, a good contract protects both parties.

BubbleCow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bubblecow.net
Don't pay the copy editor a royalty. They are providing a service with a set value - picking up errors. Why should you potentially pay them an unending amount of money for this service? They are adding no value.

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
BubbleCow, I hope you were only trying to help by suggesting that the OP contact you by email, but we don't allow people to use AW to tout for business, and as you offer paid-for editing services you were at risk of crossing the line there. I've edited your message accordingly. Sorry about that.

BubbleCow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bubblecow.net
Old Hack - sorry, never occurred to me. What is the protocol to get people to send a direct message? It was a genuine offer of help. This is something in which I have a professional and personal expertise. I routinely publish my email? What about my twitter name, is that OK?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to tout for business, BubbleCow, you're welcome to start a thread about yourself in the Announcements and Self Promotion room.

But to be blunt (and I hope this doesn't come across as snippy--it's not meant to be, I just want to be clear; and when I write "you" in the following comment I mean "anyone who offers paid-for services", just as you do) it's not acceptable for you to suggest that people contact you directly for advice in any thread, nor is it acceptable for you to contact people here by private message and offer your services, nor is it acceptable for you to repeatedly refer to the services you offer in your posts. We're here to discuss writing and publishing, not to drum up business for ourselves, and such behaviour will get you banned for spamming.

Javielito

Registered
Reaction score
near a deep sea shrimp and a blackdevil angler fis
Thank to all you guys for the replies and councils.

The person I wanted to use is not following the agreements we did: meet online in determined day and time, etc.,
I'm a very responsible guy and I need somebody like that.

Yes, my manuscript is in English but is not native,

thank you to IceCreamEmpress for the links of agreement letters, plus thank to Old Hack, thothguard51, Gillhoughly, and the other people who shared their thoughts here.

Last edited: