The Power of Facebook

mephet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
unsheathe.wordpress.com
I've been avoiding Wordpress' "My Stats" page lately. Life has been keeping me really busy for the past month or two, so I've been updating my blog much less than I'd like. What do you get when you combine few posts with zero marketing or networking? Low page views. Whenever I see those 0 view days my heart sinks a tiny little bit: that's another day I could've spent half an hour writing and updating the blog.
I have no idea what inspired me to take a look at my stats yesterday. Perhaps I was just bored, or my brain was still mushy from the fever I'd been struggling with. Anyway: I opened the stats page.
Can Wordpress have bugs? I asked myself. Because this has to be a bug. Or a bot invasion. Does Wordpress note bots or crawlers? All the other days looked normal, but yesterday's pageviews were at 603 - about 11 times my previous record!
For some hours I was baffled, convinced that there had been some mistake. Eventually the mystery was answered in an e-mail: someone from a sword-themed community website had heard of my blog and shared a link to it on Facebook. In just 1 day, he guided over 100 unique visitors to my site.

I finally made a Facebook account. This, better than anything, proved to me the importance of social networking sites to writers. A bit of luck, of course, helps too ;)
I expect my visitor numbers to shrink down again soon. That's fine. Writing for a very small audience has a lot of advantages. But totally regardless of how this affects future traffic on my blog, I'm super happy right now. :)

(tl;dr: You should think twice before ignoring the power of Facebook, Twitter and other social networks.)

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
It can happen... a post I did for a paranormal blog site went stupidly viral and got 1000+ views after being posted to facebook. Even the website owner was surprised...

I need to update my blog sometime soon too...

PragmaticPimp

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.unfoldingmyth.com
When I first posted a link to my blog on my personal Facebook page my views shot into the hundreds. Since then I've had my share of zero days. The views I do get are worked and fought for through social media and networking. They are great tools and anyone who wants eyes on their site should be using them to the point of exhaustion.

Promethean Dreams

Registered
Reaction score
Eventually the mystery was answered in an e-mail: someone from a sword-themed community website had heard of my blog and shared a link to it on Facebook. In just 1 day, he guided over 100 unique visitors to my site.

I am just going to point out that saying you went viral sounds cooler.

Grigoris

fifth level cleric
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks for sharing. It's an instructive story. Social media and apps are now front and center in the internet age. People spend a huge amount of cellphone time on social media, primarily Facebook. The figures shoot up even more for younger folks. One post can reach thousands of newsfeeds. Blogs and websites that don't incorporate social media risk being left behind.