To blog or not to blog...

Nightingale

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I've been under a rock for the past 5-10 years but what exactly is the purpose of blogging? I'm sure there is already a thread about this somewhere, but I just don't get it. I could see blogging as a productive thing if I were a celebrity of some sort or famous writer. What is the point when you're just an average Joan?:Shrug:

contrariwise

The hours passing
Registered
Reaction score
I have a brand new blog, and the reason I started was to make connections with other people like me, and to share the things I learn along the way. I don't have any qualifications, so I'm definitely your average non-famous blogger. I'm learning to write, so it's great practice and it gives me a place to put my thoughts and discoveries.

PragmaticPimp

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.unfoldingmyth.com
I'm a little like contrariwise, I started a blog to connect with other writers and learn new things. I look at it as a way to improve my writing and hopefully get some feedback from readers. It's also a lot of fun.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
It's a way to get yourself on a writing schedule. It's a way to build "your public". It's a way to get successful and quit that day job! And, as PragmaticPimp says, it is a lot of fun. Or can be, anyway.

Joliedupre

Rhymes with Witch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joliedupre.com
I blog because although I've been a published author for over 10 years, I'm new to horror/paranormal, and I need to find my readers. My blog (Precious Monsters) is a niche blog devoted to monster lovers. By developing my blog, I hope to find readers who are interested in what I'm writing. My hope is that some of those readers will - in turn - buy my novellas and novels. It was this article that got me thinking like that. (Most authors promote to other authors. But is that the right way? Ask yourself that.)

The Uncommon Truth About Marketing Your Books

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
I'm new to this too, but it's a lot of fun. Also it seems to me good practice for writing short, quick, effective stories/scenes/thoughts.

Also, my blog isn't exactly a writing blog, so I get to rest my brain.

EarlyBird

Grinding it out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twentyfoursevenlife.com
I started a blog a few months back mostly to exercise my writing muscles and hone my voice. It's mostly about my experiences (both good and bad) with being with my children all the time, hence the blog name. I really enjoy it and could see expanding it someday.

Nightingale

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments! I'm still unsure of what to blog about...not sure that I really get it.