Buying a house while black . . .

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
. . . also can be dangerous, at least in Georgia.

I'm not sure I'd want neighbors like that -- armed, dangerous, and bigoted.
Stupid neighbors. Even stupider cops. They couldn't bother with a single phone call to a realtor or bank, or call the son to bring in the papers, before arresting someone?

That said, I've always met neighbors beforehand and/or carried the papers in my move-in box in just in case. Somebody has always showed up when I've gotten a new place. I must look suspicious.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGHHHHHH!!!! IDIOTS!!!!

I cannot believe they arrested him. That is SO despicable.

What a sweet man that homeowner is. I want better neighbors--a better community--for him and his family!

:rant:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Too bad the neighbors didn't mind their own business, like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5C4hSLBdEc
You make it seem like the only two options are minding one's business and holding people one finds suspicious at gunpoint. You do realize the neighbors could have simply called 911 and left it at that, don't you? This situation could have gone even more wrong, and led to yet another tragedy.

And I'd like to ask the George Zimmerman/cop wannabes what you'd do if you were committing no crime, doing nothing wrong, and some stranger came up to you with a gun. You wouldn't know what they wanted from you, so what would you do?

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
You make it seem like the only two options are minding one's business and holding people one finds suspicious at gunpoint. You do realize the neighbors could have simply called 911 and left it at that, don't you? This situation could have gone even more wrong, and led to yet another tragedy.
Quite true. I also think there is an alternative to calling them stupid, despicable bigots.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
With neighbors like those, I really wouldn't want to be part of that neighborhood. There are kooks everywhere, but this is taking it a bit too far.

Around my neighborhood, when there's an empty house and someone starts to work on it, it is assumed that they either own the home or have hired someone to do the work. Why bring a gun and insert one's self into the situation? As Lyv said, a simple call to 911 could have been made.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Which part do you dispute?
The part where we make a judgment on their personalities based on a 500 word article. The man was black, so they must be bigots. They carried guns, so they must be kooks. They made mistakes so they must be stupid.

This rush to judgment...say, isn't that exactly what they did?

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
The part where we make a judgment on their personalities based on a 500 word article. The man was black, so they must be bigots. They carried guns, so they must be kooks. They made mistakes so they must be stupid.

This rush to judgment...say, isn't that exactly what they did?

Yes, I figured I wouldn't get a straight answer. But then, there was no way to get that point from your comment and from you posting a video of a burglary.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGHHHHHH!!!! IDIOTS!!!!

I cannot believe they arrested him. That is SO despicable.

What a sweet man that homeowner is. I want better neighbors--a better community--for him and his family!

:rant:
(bolding mine)

This. So very much this.

Stupid neighbors. Even stupider cops. They couldn't bother with a single phone call to a realtor or bank, or call the son to bring in the papers, before arresting someone?

That said, I've always met neighbors beforehand and/or carried the papers in my move-in box in just in case. Somebody has always showed up when I've gotten a new place. I must look suspicious.

IF I was the nosy type, I'd have called the realtor. Not being the nosy type (at all), I'd have waved and said hello. If they'd responded, I'd have introduced myself, etc.

What a hell of a "Welcome Wagon" they got.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I figured I wouldn't get a straight answer. But then, there was no way to get that point from your comment and from you posting a video of a burglary.
Sorry. My fault for trying to see a measure of complexity in the issue.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. My fault for trying to see a measure of complexity in the issue.

But you didn't do that. At least that's not remotely what you did with the post I quoted. You posted a video of a burglary and made a comment that had nothing to do with what you are now saying was your point.

Your point in posting a video of a burglary was to object to the characterization of the gun-happy neighbors? Then, to be frank, you made your point poorly.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd put the house back on the market and move to a neighborhood where the neighbors and cops aren't such asshats.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Since the original article is from 4/20, I looked for an update. The latest I can find is from 4/23 and states that charges have been dropped. Who was charged? The homeowners who were just trying to change their locks. They spent a night in jail. I can't find a thing to say that the neighbors who held them at gunpoint were in charged or even in any way inconvenienced.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Holding someone at gunpoint is not a small 'mistake'. In fact, I would have assumed it was some kind of crime?

Perhaps it's covered under the "Stand Your Vacant Lot" law?

:rolleyes:

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Neighbors! Can live without 'em!! We've been here (on a very neighbor-friendly block) seven years, have exchange pleasantries with neighbors on all sides, wave from the yard when lawning, etc. But who really knows what lurks in their hearts? Last Spring, at about 10:30 pm on a Thursday night, a giant-sized yellow-jacket flew into my kitchen while I was coming up the stairs. It was at least thrice this big:

O

I was trapped on the stairs as the alien buzzed the landing!!

I SCREAMED, repeatedly calling for the hubs who finally woke up. Did I mention that the neighbors window is right across from the back door landing?

Hubs finally woke up and killed the damn thing and went back to bed. Ten minutes later there's a knock at the door and you guessed it -- the local police. I guessed (correctly) that the neighbors had called, quickly explained about the bee and did let them in the door. They asked to speak to my husband!@@ (OMG, they thought I killed him!!) Hubs came out, waved and went back to bed. The cops left. All was well in whitebread land.

Sorry for the derail, but It was my best story of last year.

PS I was holding a large barking lab on a leash the whole time.

Last edited:

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
So we should all pull guns on people we don't know in our neighborhoods because those people might, possibly, could be, even if we have no reason to think so, be committing a crime?
I don't think that at all. Do you? Because I think that would be quite unwise.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Insanity.

A call to 911 would have sufficed, and the officer doing the slightest bit of leg work would have prevented the whole mess. I can't even imagine being greeted by gun point at the house we just bought.

Ditto for our backyard neighbors who just bought the foreclosed house and started working on it.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
There's racism. There's being a douchebag. One can have the latter without the former, and even if there was the former, there was definitely the latter.

These neighbors are douchebags.