Submission format question

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
At a conference, an agent told me I could send her the first three chapters of my novel.

The submission guidelines on her website ask for the query letter, 1-2 page synopsis, and the 1st 10 pages pasted into the body of the email, no attachments.

The last time I sent her requested materials (admittedly, four years ago), I attached it as a .doc file. Should I just paste the 1st 3 chapters in the body of the email, just to be safe?

MKrys

Quietly obsessing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michelle-krys.blogspot.com
If she requested the material I'd attach it as a .doc file. That's what I did for requested material and no one slapped my hand for it.

Good luck!

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
At a conference, an agent told me I could send her the first three chapters of my novel.

The submission guidelines on her website ask for the query letter, 1-2 page synopsis, and the 1st 10 pages pasted into the body of the email, no attachments.

The last time I sent her requested materials (admittedly, four years ago), I attached it as a .doc file. Should I just paste the 1st 3 chapters in the body of the email, just to be safe?

If she requested the material I'd attach it as a .doc file. That's what I did for requested material and no one slapped my hand for it.

No, don't send attachments unless the agent (or their submission guidelines on their site) say it's okay. Many agents will delete (unread) e-mail with attachments. If the submission guidelines explicitly say not to send attachments, DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTS.

There's a thread here with detailed information on how to prepare an e-submission.

Good luck!

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
So you'd send a full manuscript in the body of an email as well?

I would follow the agent's guidelines. I have yet to see an agent who requests a full MS to be pasted into the body of the e-mail, although if that's what one asked for, that's what I'd send. Those few who do accept fulls with an initial query explicitly say how to submit it: either as an attachment or through a web submission form.

But that's not the question here. The agent asked Andrea to submit the query, the synopsis, and the first three chapters. Andrea states that the agency's guidelines specifically say not to submit attachments.

Therefore, I would not submit an attachment to this agent.

I only submit attachments when explicitly asked to do so.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I'd probably do both. Have REQUESTED MATERIALS in the subject line, explain that you weren't sure of the policy for requested materials and attachments, and have the three chapters below and attached and they can take their pick. But that's just my opinion.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I'd probably do both. Have REQUESTED MATERIALS in the subject line, explain that you weren't sure of the policy for requested materials and attachments, and have the three chapters below and attached and they can take their pick. But that's just my opinion.

Not to beat a dead horse, but you really need to understand: many agents delete e-mails with attachments UNREAD. I can't stress this enough. If they have a special e-mail addy set up for submissions, the e-mail client might even be set up to automatically scrub e-mails with attachments. Alternatively, an agent might have rules or filters set up so that attachments only come through if the sender is one of their clients or someone who they've been in contact with and added to the rule/filter.

Anyone can put 'requested materials' in the subject line, whether it's true or not. And yes, people do this all the time. So even that isn't necessarily going to keep them from deleting an e-mail.

Seriously. When the agency guidelines say 'no attachments', there's absolutely NOTHING unclear or abmiguous about that. It means NO ATTACHMENTS. A reqest for 'three chapters' doesn't imply 'attachment'. Unless the agent specifically said, 'Send me your three chapters as an attachment,' if the agency guidelines say 'no attachments', it means NO ATTACHMENTS.

It simply isn't worth the risk of your requested materials not getting through. Follow the agency guidelines unless the agent personally gave you different instructions.

Last edited:

RKLipman

Seasoned Veteran of Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ricklipman.com
Terie, you're on the right track, but you're wrong here. Agency guidelines are for querying (though sometimes, rarely, will have additional guidelines for requested material).

Requested materials should almost always be sent as an attachment. Unless they're like, ridiculously small. A 10- or 15-page partial? Sure, stick it in the body of your e-mail.

3 chapters or more? Make it a word .doc.

"Deleting attachments unread" is regarding unsolicited materials. You'd be amazed at the number of people who just send agents their shit and assume (wrongly!) that if you build it, they will come.

Agents don't want to see your materials unless they ask for it. If they ask, it's kosher.

If you're really uncomfortable going ahead without further feedback, shoot her a quick e-mail and ask what her preference is for receiving requested materials.

And please report back, because I'll eat my hat if she doesn't tell you to send it as an attachment.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Terie, you're on the right track, but you're wrong here. Agency guidelines are for querying (though sometimes, rarely, will have additional guidelines for requested material).

Requested materials should almost always be sent as an attachment. Unless they're like, ridiculously small. A 10- or 15-page partial? Sure, stick it in the body of your e-mail.

This might be semantics, but when the agent said the OP could send a query, that makes it a requested query, not a requested partial manuscript. Therefore, I personally would follow the query instructions -- in this agency's case 'no attachments'. Yes, I'd send the full three chapters the agent requested, rather than just 10 pages, but I'd still prepare the query following the agency's submission guidelines.

If the agent requests a partial or full submission based on the query, it's likely that they'll want it as an attachment. They'll actually state what they want and how they want it. For example, several agencies have partials/fulls submitted via a web submission form.

But in the OP's case, she's still at the query stage, not the partial/full stage.

FWIW, in my last query round, a number of agents asked for five and one even ten chapters pasted into the body of the e-mail. I followed the agency's instructions; I didn't make assumptions based on the number of pages.

ArtsyAmy

Registered
Reaction score
Does the agency accept mailed (via snail mail) submissions? If so, maybe you'd want to send it that way--eliminates the "will an e-mail with an attachment be deleted?" problem.

RKLipman

Seasoned Veteran of Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ricklipman.com
Terie, I had to go back up to reread, but I think I'm pulling something different from the OP than you are. They said:

3 chapters counts as a partial, in my mind.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Andrea,

Why don't you paste the three chapters under your query letter, but say in the last paragraph that you'd be more than willing to send them as an attachment, if it's easier.

That way, you don't run the risk of an intern deleting all attachments as a rule. The chapters are there, if she wants to read it. And if she wants a different format, you've made yourself available to send it.

Good luck! :D -- Jamie

zegota

Fantastic!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewborgard.com
I can see no benefit to sending it as an attachment (other than some minor time savings with not having to deal with formatting), and some pretty significant downsides, even if they are unlikely. Just paste it in.

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
Yes, it's a partial request. Her query guidelines ask for the first 10 pages. An editor at the conference liked my first pages and referred me to the agent, who told me I could send her the 1st three chapters.

I'm going to send it to her tonight with the chapters pasted below, and do what Jamiekswriter suggested. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for all the insight and suggestions!

MKrys

Quietly obsessing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michelle-krys.blogspot.com
Partial and full requests do not fall under the 'no attachments' guideline. That's for querying only. You run no risk attaching the material. I can assure you of this.