Science writing markets for a newbie?

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
Any tips on potential markets for science-writing newbies?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of spec fic magazines accept nonfiction and actively seek well written science articles. Take a look at Ralan.com (http://www.ralan.com/m.pro.htm) and look for the markets that have "nonfic" in the listing.

naomieats

Registered
Reaction score
The National association of science writers has many resources for members. I don't know about membership costs, but it's a good organization.

Trade pubs and hospital magazines are a good market to look into as I know most still use freelancers. I'm a lifestyle editor for a pub company and see good clips from these types of markets.

Some of the juvenile magazines need well-written science articles geared towards younger audiences and accept freelance subs and articles.

As always, read the big names like Scientific American, Wired, Science, etc to stay up to date on what's being published and what is happening.

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all. All good ideas. I'm already a big science mag reader, so no problems with keeping up to date.

aikigypsy

Registered
Reaction score
What about your local (especially if small-town) newspaper or community-oriented online publication? It would probably help to find a science topic with a local angle, but that kind of place might be pretty open (though not with their wallets!).

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
Hi aikigypsy

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately I'm living abroad at the moment in a non-English speaking country, which makes things a little more difficult. Otherwise, yes, I'd be looking at my local publications hoping they might accept something for free in return for the precious clips.

I've actually interviewed a local surgeon and researcher here who took part in some globally significant research, so I'm hoping to interest a British magazine with an 'exclusive'. I might offer to write it on spec and they can reject it if they want. I don't know if that's a good idea or not. But I only have Demand Media and personal blogging as writing experience, so it's difficult to get taken seriously. I've sent two queries on other things but not even received a reply.

ETA Plus one short story published but I don't suppose that's really relevant.