Strategy

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
One thing I've learned from following this forum and from my life experience is that it's easier to get published if you're already published. Given that as background, I have a question. I am going to be published in a magazine this July. I have certain other magazines I am targeting with great project proposals. Part of me says "don't spill your powder on dry land." Meaning don't submit my great ideas without the added benefit of first being published. A magazine might reject my idea if I submit it without any clips of prior publications. But If I wait until after July when I have a meaningful clip to send out with my pitch . . . my target publications will like me better. The halo effect of already being published will make my pitched proposals seem far more desirable. What are your thoughts? Should I wait or not?

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
The halo effect is not that great. It gives you an in sometimes but it does not guarantee publication. The best strategy when trying to get published for the first time is to accept that it is a numbers game and target as many suitable markets with as many completed stories/articles as you can and see which ones stick and where. Since you are talking about shorts and articles here you can do that quickfire approach and can be writing new material while stuff is out on submission (which can be months...) and sending out rejected stuff as soon as it comes back.

As time progresses, more and more will 'stick', especially as you learn which markets appreciate your style more. This is the real benefit of 'already being published' at this level - your own personal knowledge of which markets will be kinder to you than others. And it is a personal thing. Relationships with editors is something which can be assisted or ruined by something you say in your cover letter or the topic of your article or the style of your story.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Just say you have a story forthcoming in XXX magazine. I think that is almost as good as a clip. Good luck.

TB4me2000

scribbling in the deep south
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brittanymtaylor.wordpress.com
...and write the heck out of your pitch! Show that you can capture the voice of the publication and write well, without substantial editing, and can quickly get to an (interesting and unique) point.