What's the etiquette for...

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
...querying an agent you've dealt with in the past for a new manuscript?

"Hey, remember me? I wrote that book you said you loved but had to pass on? I have a shiny new book!"

Should I move the "TITLE is a XX,XXX-word YA novel" to the top of the query and include it there? Something like:

"Dear Agent,

I would like to thank you again for all the great advice you gave me on my novel, TITLE, last year. I'm now querying a new novel, NEW TITLE, a XX,XXX-word YA novel."

And then launch into the rest of the query?

This is an agent I had an R&R with and spoke to on the phone and everything, so less formality is required, I imagine.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds fine to me. Most agents have good memories.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Did the agent tell you to submit your next work? If so you can lead with that. "As requested," or something similar.

If not, what you have sounds fine. And good luck!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
"Dear Agent,

I would like to thank you again for all the great advice you gave me on my novel, TITLE, last year. I'm now querying a new novel, NEW TITLE, a XX,XXX-word YA novel."
This is exactly how I would do it.

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
Definitely do it that way. A couple of agents have told me that they want you to remind them if they liked your last book enough to request a full or partial. Putting it in might not get you a request this time, but it will help weed you out from the rest of the auto-reject slush for a closer look.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Bless your heart for asking this question! And blessings equally to all who answered! I have a similar situation and had no idea what to do...and didn't think to ask.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Colossus

I reckon so.
Registered
Reaction score
I had an agent give me a full read on a subsequent manuscript by a similar tactic. I used some of her advice when writing the new story, and made note of that in the query letter.
If you have any changes to your writing style, or anything of note, I'd mention it as well.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I had an agent give me a full read on a subsequent manuscript by a similar tactic. I used some of her advice when writing the new story, and made note of that in the query letter.
If you have any changes to your writing style, or anything of note, I'd mention it as well.

I would say something along those lines, that I implemented some of the things she taught me, but her problem with the last manuscript was kind of a "I love it, but I don't think I'm equal to the task of selling it." So maybe I could include some comps for this one? Maybe make it sound more marketable than the last one?

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Comparisons can be good, as long as they're not too much of a stretch. I didn't bother with any for mine because mine's a really weird mashup of stuff.

Best of luck!

ThunderBoots

Back with new name, no dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
My thought in this type of situation is: How could it hurt?
That is, the worst that can happen is that the agent takes a pass, right?
So long as you are polite in the query, and don't harass the agent by other means (phone calls, e-mails) ... it's hardly likely that the agent will get offended and submit your name to the Agents' Blacklist That We All Fear Is Somewhere Out There.

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
...querying an agent you've dealt with in the past for a new manuscript?

"Hey, remember me? I wrote that book you said you loved but had to pass on? I have a shiny new book!"

Should I move the "TITLE is a XX,XXX-word YA novel" to the top of the query and include it there? Something like:

"Dear Agent,

And then launch into the rest of the query?

This is an agent I had an R&R with and spoke to on the phone and everything, so less formality is required, I imagine.

If you did an R&R with the agent last year, she'll remember you. The number of times she did that was most likely in the single digits.