Fast Paying Writing Gigs - Where to find them?

D7ana

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for finding writing market sites that pay on acceptance? I'm seeking short projects.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

D7ana

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Mac! I'm rusty. Good to be back though.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Most markets do not pay on acceptance. And why would they? Most editors want to make sure the story you write is something they will actually use especially if they don't know you. Newspapers are quicker than magazines for the most part, but you probably already knew that. Writing is really not something to get rich quick at. What's the hurry?

redneckballerina

I ride the wind and dance the stars
Registered
Reaction score
The magazines I've sold stories to have paid within 7 days after I signed the contract. I think that's quick pay ~ but the acceptances take time. ;)

I've been paid to write ad copy, guest editorials, advice columns, and local interest essays within a week of print, but those were jobs I got based on personal connections and business contacts.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Some content writing gigs can be pretty profitable if you get the right ones and get assigned to a special project. I've written for Demand Studios for a couple years. It comes and it goes, but if you keep your scores up and have some special expertise, you can make out okay. I don't know if they are taking on new writers right now, but I make $25 for short, 500-word articles. Not great pay, but the format is really simple. It's pretty easy to make $100 a day there if you're on a special project, and they pay twice a week -- Tuesdays and Fridays. I've written for them on and off for a couple years, and my pay has never been late.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
If by markets you mean magazines, it's hard to get paid fast. Even if you get paid on acceptance, you still have to query, wait for them to respond, sign a contract, write the story, go through edits and then get paid. That can take months. If what you're looking for is quick money, then you have to focus on web content, which doesn't pay too well but can be profitable if you're a quick writer.

D7ana

Registered
Reaction score
Most markets do not pay on acceptance. And why would they? Most editors want to make sure the story you write is something they will actually use especially if they don't know you. Newspapers are quicker than magazines for the most part, but you probably already knew that. Writing is really not something to get rich quick at. What's the hurry?

By quick payment, I meant that I could submit a piece and get paid that same day or the next day.

I see now that I would need to have a connection first. Even then, I can't expect to necessarily be paid that quick. Darn.

Why in haste? Big bill due.

Got my blog going. Got an Examiner gig, but I see I'll need to get more and better paying connections.

Oh and I don't expect to get rich quick ;-D Thanks for your response.

D7ana

Registered
Reaction score
The magazines I've sold stories to have paid within 7 days after I signed the contract. I think that's quick pay ~ but the acceptances take time. ;)

I've been paid to write ad copy, guest editorials, advice columns, and local interest essays within a week of print, but those were jobs I got based on personal connections and business contacts.

This is the type of writing I meant - ads, editorials, local essays. I meant those types of writing without knowing them specifically, if that makes sense. (I would imagine magazines and newspapers would take longer to pay.) Possibly online sites, too.

Thanks for the reminder about personal and business contacts.

D7ana

Registered
Reaction score
Some content writing gigs can be pretty profitable if you get the right ones and get assigned to a special project. I've written for Demand Studios for a couple years. It comes and it goes, but if you keep your scores up and have some special expertise, you can make out okay. I don't know if they are taking on new writers right now, but I make $25 for short, 500-word articles. Not great pay, but the format is really simple. It's pretty easy to make $100 a day there if you're on a special project, and they pay twice a week -- Tuesdays and Fridays. I've written for them on and off for a couple years, and my pay has never been late.

Thanks, Carole! I'll have to look into DS.

D7ana

Registered
Reaction score
If by markets you mean magazines, it's hard to get paid fast. Even if you get paid on acceptance, you still have to query, wait for them to respond, sign a contract, write the story, go through edits and then get paid. That can take months. If what you're looking for is quick money, then you have to focus on web content, which doesn't pay too well but can be profitable if you're a quick writer.

Thanks, NewKidOldKid, I was thinking web content. Now to work on writing quick - okay!

D7ana

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all your suggestions! I do appreciate them.

If I find anything specific, I will write back here.

arielky

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Dana,
I'm trying to pick up some quick cash also. I just passed the test at write.com (I had to write about black cupboard knobs). The first time I took it, I failed. It paid off to study the grammar and punctuation used on the Internet and how to write ad copy. Initially, you have to go through a 10-day waiting period. Right now, I'm getting held up by mturk.com because they insist that I say that I'm not a U.S. citizen because I'm living in Malaysia, but I am. Iv'e found most U.S. websites discriminate against people in other countries. They won't ship, they won't let you work for them, they won't communicate with you. Why do business people in the U.S. isolate themselves in this way? Most countries ship internationally everywhere... but that's another issue. After registering with mturk, then you get your payments through amazon.com, and there's only a 48-hour turnaround. So, it's definitely worth pursuing, even though it doesn't pay well. I'm a fast writer, so I think I'll probably do all right, IF I can get registered with www.mturk.com. By the way, they have other kinds of work posted there.

kohuether

Registered
Reaction score
thecontentauthority.com pays once a week if you make the minimum balance. I forget what that is - maybe $30?

kohuether

Registered
Reaction score
Are you kidding me with Mechanical Turk? Some of the things don't even pay, and if they do, it's pennies. Do people actually make good enough money here to make it worth it?