My requery was passed along

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
So, I requeried an agent who passed on my partial awhile back. (I've since revised significantly.) As a result, the query wasn't standard -- no synopsis paragraph -- just a short note, the new title, word count, a brief bio, a copy of her personalized rejection email, and the first five pages of the manuscript. She replied saying that she shared my query with another agent, who'd love to look at it.

So, I'm wondering what I should email that agent with my manuscript: a full query or just a short note. Should I include my bio again? Should I forward the whole email trail from the first agent?

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
I'd e-mail the 2nd agent with a standard query letter and name drop the 1st agent in the first paragraph. Depending on what the 2nd agent's guidelines are you might be able to add the first five pages. Follow their submission guidelines. Good luck!

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Well agent #1's wording basically says that I should submit the manuscript to agent #2, who's looking forward to reading it. It sounds like agent #2 has already read the first five pages. (Both agents are at the same firm.) Thoughts?

Thanks for the luck!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If the email says specifically to send the ms to the second agent, then send the ms to the second agent.

If that's your interpretation of it, then perhaps you could quote just that portion of the email here, so that we can have a better stab at what you're being asked for? Don't quote the entire message, though: it's a private correspondance and I don't think that would be appropriate.

Last edited:

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I would forward the first agent's email to the second agent and attach the manuscript.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would forward the first agent's email to the second agent and attach the manuscript.

That would probably be okay in this situation, but the safest bet is always to avoid forwarding private communications, unless implicitly directed. I'd email fresh.

Sure, that portion says: "I've taken the liberty of sharing your note with my colleague, NAME, who would be interested in seeing the manuscript. Please do email her directly at EMAIL."

I would email her as directed, and quote or describe the bit you have here (with specifics restored, of course). But, the main thing is, in your subject line, be sure to include "REFERRAL FROM: AGENT #1'S NAME".

Referrals are good. Good luck!

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for all the wise suggestions. I'll email agent #2 fresh with the manuscript and a summary of what agent #1 suggested I do.

I think it was gracious of agent #1 to pass me along, and I'd love to thank her. Is a short thank-you reply to her acceptable?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'd email the whole ms just as you've said you're going to; but add the synopsis, your original query, and perhaps a short bio for yourself if you have one to hand.

You could thank the original agent, and let her know that you've sent your ms to the second agent as requested. I see no harm in that; but do check first to see if she has a stated policy on such things. Some agents don't like to get extra emails when they're not strictly necessary.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score