What to send?

ArtsyAmy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just about ready to send materials to an agent. I understand it's important to send an agent precisely what she requests--no more, no less. The problem? While I know that different agents request different information, I'm finding conflicting information regarding what *the same agent* wants. One popular website that provides information on agents, including their submission guidelines, says she would like to be e-mailed a query letter. A similar popular website says she'd like to be e-mailed a query letter, plus a certain number of pages. Her agency's website says to send (via snail mail) her a query letter, novel synopsis, and a certain number of pages (or maybe it's a certain number of chapters--can't recall at the moment).

I sure don't want the agent's first impression of me to be that I can't follow directions--but I'm getting different directions from different sources. Any advice? Thank you.

RKLipman

Seasoned Veteran of Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ricklipman.com
I disagree.

When in doubt, follow primary sources. In this case, defer to the agency's website - unless the agent in question has his or her own website, everything else is second-hand - and hearsay.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I find Publisher's Marketplace a good source for that information. Agency websites dictate agency-wide policy, and often don't include agent-specific details. Agents manage their own PM pages for the most part, so that information should be correct for them.

If Curtis Brown is the agency in question I'll find out soon enough. I just queried one of theirs using her PM query requirements.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Her agency's website says to send (via snail mail) her a query letter, novel synopsis, and a certain number of pages (or maybe it's a certain number of chapters--can't recall at the moment).

This is the most direct information you have; use it.

And good luck! :)

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Do as exactly as possible what the website or professional reference listing specifies. (If the two conflict, I would go with what the agency's website says over the reference listing, as the former are updated more frequently.)

dwriter68

Registered
Reaction score
Agree. The agency's website should be the one to follow.