Going from small press to big publisher

YAreaderwriter

The voice of the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Hello I have a question about going from a small press to a big publsiher. My first novel was published by a small press. It has done well and recieved good reviews. I have another novel and want to get a big publisher. I will be talking with someone at one of the big publishing houses and if that doesn't work out I will be submitting to agents. My question is how do I approach them, should I talk about my first novel or not mention it all? Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
It really depends on the sales of your first novel and the nature of the small press. Did you receive an advance? How many copies sold? Agents don't seem to care if you made less than about 10k in sales on your last book, but I am sure the cut-off line is different for each agent. If you do bring it up, be sure to mention your sales numbers.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
They'll have to know about the first book because it means they can't market your new one as a debut, but if the sales of book 1 were good, then it shouldn't really be an issue.

When you say "talking to," I hope you don't mean a cold call approach situation. That would be a bad idea.

YAreaderwriter

The voice of the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the advice. Cyia- lol no nothing like that!

My next question is how much should I talk about the first book? If I didn't sell more than 10k should I just say my first novel was published by blah blah or should I say a little about it?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Don't mention it in the query. You can bring it up once you sign a contract.

If the agent asks about it, sure, or if it comes up in a phone call (they usually prefer to have a phone conversation prior to offering), but otherwise there's really no point.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Slightly dissenting opinion: If it got good reviews, it might be worth your while to mention it.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

YAreaderwriter

The voice of the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Drachen and Siri! I think I may mention it because it did get good reviews but also because I'm published I've created an online presence, have an audience, and have relationships with reviewers and bloggers.